Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #1

You just can't make this stuff up....

So we finally picked up our RV from the dealer after exactly 3 months. The aqua-hot wasn't working but I was determined to go riding so I was taking the RV come hell or high water.

On the way there, we come across this sign pictured. I figured okay, 10' wide lane, 8.5' wide RV, we're good.

What I didn't think about was the angle of the entrance to the bridge, with a 41' RV and a 25' trailer (and 5' tongue), as I straightened out to go over the bridge, it was clear the trailer was not parallel to the bridge.

Part of the problem is at 10' wide, you have a foot and a half to split but then the exhaust for the generator and aqua-hot stick out.

Long story short, I tried to back off the bridge only to push the RV up against the cement bridge. At one point, I had the left front hubcap grinding on the cement and at the same time, the left rear side marker light on the RV was against the cement. How the hell nothing else touched is beyond me.

I opened the driver's door to evaluate the situation (it was midnight, dark as hell) and I had to walk on a 10" wide cement beam that was literally against the RV. I felt like I was walking on a ledge in a movie and didn't want to look down. (it was only 20' into a creek)

The only thing I could think of was one of our members on here said when that happens, stay cool, judge the situation and do whatever it takes to get you out.

It took 20 minutes to maneuver the RV back and forth what little room I had but other than a center cap on a wheel and a side marker lens, I virtually came out unscathed.

I'm starting to see a correlation with big rigs and going to places you've never been. Side roads my ass....

EDIT: On the bright side, my aqua-hot decided to start working... unfortunately, something must still be wrong with it. With the burners completely off, there is still air blowing out of the exhaust. It's not hot air like when it's running, it's just air. Weird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0252.jpg
Views:	978
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	189201  
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
Retired Army Paratrooper

Lord Orange, you cant get a break can you.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #3

You seem to go where no man has gone before. "Tongue and cheek " hope you dont have too much damage.
-slim
Old 10-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #4

Glad you made it out of it with a cool head. Sorry for the damage.
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:23 PM   #5

I don't even know what to say.... Just glad it was not too bad. I also know my time is coming sooner or later.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #6

Note to self.....If camping anywhere with Orange Crush don't let him lead Glad you got out with little damage
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #7

My first time towing a 5th Wheel, I didn't account for the different pivot point and need to take corners later than with ball hitch. Took out a telephone junction box in a campground. OOOPs.

Lesson learned

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #8
D W

I'd venture to guess that at 71' overall length you were over the legal limit for 2 vehicle combined length.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #9

As for the Aqua Hot pumping cold air, that’s normal for burner start up. After that the igniter start and Diesel oil start. Since your unit failed to start, and now fan only I’d suggest check the logic box attached to the blower motor. It’s hermetically sealed so you’ll need the help of a A/H dealer. Mine failed about 3 years old. It controls all timing and switching of the boiler logic.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #10

Aqua Hot - and humor

I enjoyed the humorous post, though I cringed as I imagined myself in a similar situation. Having driven two different 43' diesel coaches towing a chevy suburban I can relate to the scary adventures being almost 70' going down the road. I'm a little shorter now driving this 32' forester towing a Dodge Durango, but I'm still close to 60' and it requires caution in town.

As for cringeworthy experiences, I still shudder when I recall my experience crossing the Throg's Neck bridge from CT over into Long Island. My Truck Garmin directed me to take the Cross Island Parkway when I could just as well have taken the Clearview Expwy. BIG MISTAKE. The bridges on the Pkwy are not rated for 12.5' high motorhomes. Scared the crap out of me. I managed to emerge unscathed thanks to the guidance of some good Samaritan tow truck driver, who guided me cautiously at 5 mph under two bridges to reach the next exit. Chalk that one up to one of my scariest motorhome experiences, though I had several other misjudgments that cost me a trip or two to the body shop. It was a learning experience.

As for the Aqua Hot. I know it is new, but I learned from owning several that annual maintenance is worth its weight in gold. Be SURE you use an authorized AqH service center (see their website) but even there not all AqH techs are created equal. I always tried to be in a place to catch John Carrillo (www.aqua-hotservices.com) to have mine serviced... he is the best there is. Also this forum can provide excellent advice:
Activity Stream - RV Hydronic Heater Forum
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #11

First question I had was, where is this? Is it something others should be aware of and avoid. But from the photo it looks like a construction zone and only there temporary.
Last month we where at Yellowstone and camping at roughly 8,000 ft. The furnace, frig and hot water heater did not want to work on propane.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #12

43' 5er plus F350,,,,, correct~~~~ side roads my ass...…...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:41 PM   #13

Crush since you think you are doomed I will share this with you. I was leaving early one morning to deliver some brood mares and I backed my truck under the my gooseneck trailer, I got out and shut the tailgate, hooked up the lights and got back in the truck. I took off and only went about 3' till something made a loud noise and stopped the truck. I got out and my tailgate was in a really nice shaped U... I drove off and didn't even jack the trailer down on to the ball in the truck.

I also hauled a Polaris Ranger and a Polaris 4-Wheeler 5 1/2 hrs on a 16' tag along to find out once I got there, I never closed the lock on the hitch. Luckily there was enough tongue weight that kept it from coming off. But it did when I backed the Ranger off and made a really nice dent in another tailgate.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
First question I had was, where is this? Is it something others should be aware of and avoid. But from the photo it looks like a construction zone and only there temporary.
Last month we where at Yellowstone and camping at roughly 8,000 ft. The furnace, frig and hot water heater did not want to work on propane.
Had a similar problem on my pickup camper propane furnace when we went to Alaska. I figured it was a fuel mixture problem due to elevation change. It had one of those plates on the outside of the camper that had a port for intake air and the exhaust port 6" away. While the furnace was going through its ignite cycle (spark lighter snapping, etc) I ran outside and covered half of the intake port with my hand, scared the heck out of me when the furnace lit and puffed hot air out right next to my hand. So I took a piece of duct tape and covered about 1/3 of the intake port and the furnace worked perfectly the rest of the trip. When we got back to Colorado it stopped working so I took the tape off and it started working fine again.

I figure it must have been jetted for high elevation and when we got down to sea level it was too lean to fire up. Covering the air intake slightly enriched the mixture for it to start.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #15

Good idea to "choke" the carb. But in my case it would have made it worse as it seems the hw heater, furnace and frig. where not getting enough air. They would go through the ignition and sometimes start but go out and on. Like the heater was working but just warm. Ours must be jetted for sea level as it was bought in Michigan.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Good idea to "choke" the carb. But in my case it would have made it worse as it seems the hw heater, furnace and frig. where not getting enough air. They would go through the ignition and sometimes start but go out and on. Like the heater was working but just warm. Ours must be jetted for sea level as it was bought in Michigan.
Sounds right. There has got to be a jet you can change or some other way to adjust the mixture but I had no manuals and the local RV place didn't have a clue either. So when you're contemplating freezing all night in Tok, Alaska you just have to get creative.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #17

we came across a similar situation - a very nice road, but then suddenly, after a curve, we came upon a nice ‘old’ metal overspan bridge that was under ‘repairs’ - leaving only the right lane passable, while the workers worked within inches of slow passing traffic...there were no other roads and no other options...
and, of course, my wife was following me in our motorcoach, on one of her FIRST times in driving it(!), while I was driving a brand new NEWMAR motorcoach and towing my personal car ahead of her!

There was nothing but STEEL girders along the right side, the lane was squeezed down to less than 9’ in width, and to the left was a continuous line of orange cones on the roadway, with the workers having ‘barely’ enough room to breath, much less enjoy watching us as we nervously, slowly, and carefully INCHED along the bridge. It also didn’t help that ‘someone’ apparently doesn’t know how to line up traffic cones in a straight line!

crazy!

I guess my wife has now treaded thru the ‘ring of fire’ and lived to tell about it - she can drive anywhere, now!
Don’t tell her, though, about my ‘mark’ of courage a road sign left on the bottom edge of the front passenger side corner when we ‘squeezed’ thru a single lane near the top of the Independence Pass, south of Aspen CO, along with a dually truck going the OPPOSITE direction! Wow!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #18
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
Sounds right. There has got to be a jet you can change or some other way to adjust the mixture but I had no manuals and the local RV place didn't have a clue either. So when you're contemplating freezing all night in Tok, Alaska you just have to get creative.
Tok is only around 1600 ft above sea level. Yes, we have some high peaks, but you can't drive up there. Our highest highway pass is Atigun Pass on the Haul Road (Dalton Hwy for those from outside). It's summit is around 4800 feet. Never had any problems operating propane devices up here.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #19

Where we are in Michigan is about 600 feet above sea level. After leaving Yellowstone camp at around 7500-8000 feet all the propane apps. worked fine.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrosecity View Post
I enjoyed the humorous post, though I cringed as I imagined myself in a similar situation. Having driven two different 43' diesel coaches towing a chevy suburban I can relate to the scary adventures being almost 70' going down the road. I'm a little shorter now driving this 32' forester towing a Dodge Durango, but I'm still close to 60' and it requires caution in town.

As for cringeworthy experiences, I still shudder when I recall my experience crossing the Throg's Neck bridge from CT over into Long Island. My Truck Garmin directed me to take the Cross Island Parkway when I could just as well have taken the Clearview Expwy. BIG MISTAKE. The bridges on the Pkwy are not rated for 12.5' high motorhomes. Scared the crap out of me. I managed to emerge unscathed thanks to the guidance of some good Samaritan tow truck driver, who guided me cautiously at 5 mph under two bridges to reach the next exit. Chalk that one up to one of my scariest motorhome experiences, though I had several other misjudgments that cost me a trip or two to the body shop. It was a learning experience.

As for the Aqua Hot. I know it is new, but I learned from owning several that annual maintenance is worth its weight in gold. Be SURE you use an authorized AqH service center (see their website) but even there not all AqH techs are created equal. I always tried to be in a place to catch John Carrillo (www.aqua-hotservices.com) to have mine serviced... he is the best there is. Also this forum can provide excellent advice:
Activity Stream - RV Hydronic Heater Forum
The occurrences of trucks/trailers/commercial vehicles on parkways on Long Island has multiplied at least tenfold since GPS became commonplace. People are too busy looking at the GPS to notice all the signs that say "NO Trucks" "Passenger Vehicles Only" etc. You can also fall victim to the tempting "6 minutes faster" on the GPS, even though I am well aware of the parkway situation I often have to fight hard to resist the habit of taking the Cross Island.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote