Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:34 AM   #611

Great!!! Thanks again both of you. I've attached two images of my soon to be camper to show what I mean about not being angles. Does anyone have a front end like this with a short (standard) box without a slider?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140318_172444_674.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	48069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140318_172504_610.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	48070  

"Duramax"

B&W companion slider
Old 03-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #612

Here are a couple pictures of my Sabre. Not sure if this helps, but although the looks are a bit different, I think they are more similar than it appears.

Sent by me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395403399430.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	48073   Click image for larger version

Name:	1395403431478.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	48074  

Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #613
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronek28 View Post
Great!!! Thanks again both of you. I've attached two images of my soon to be camper to show what I mean about not being angles. Does anyone have a front end like this with a short (standard) box without a slider?
It appears you have the same cap that I do on my 2011 sabre 32bhok.
I do in fact have a slider but have yet to use it.
You can in fact turn 80 or close to it but hopfully you'll never have to.

With that being said my dw ms Amy sometimes takes the truck and camper a day ahead of me so the option of sliding the 5er makes me more comfortable when she's alone.
She's been taught to use it and when she should.
Ive only had 1 instance where ive been close to needing the slider but didnt have to.
As stated before being in those tight angles isn't good anyway.
I've found there's always more than one way to skin a cat so always look at your options before backing into questionable places.

Pull further ahead and start the backing process sooner.

Turn around and back from other direction.

Take baby steps in backing to get the truck more aligned with trailer.

In short I've never regretted buying a slider as I know sooner or later it will pay for itself in one instance.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #614
Here to Help

Quote:
I've pretty much bought a 2013 320fdqs Sabre Silhouette. I have a few day till my pick up date and still need to buy a hitch. I have a b&w turnoverball so I'm going with a b&w companion or companion slider. I have a 07 2500hd silverado classic crew cab 6.5 box and concerned weather I really need a slider or not.

Looking at the camper I now relize the 2013 Sabre has two different front ends. Two friends who have 5th wheels say they never need to slide because of the angle and king pin location on new 5ers. There 2010 Laredos clearly have cut angles in the front but my two model year newer camper is the one without the cut angles. My question is... Is there a noticeable difference in these two front caps? Is mine a really old 2013? Am I going to need a slider?

I wish is didnt notice the angled front because now I'm double guessing my pick, but I cant find and actual king pin locations numbers maybe its far enough forward I can still get 88 degrees with this camper? ANY and ALL advice or help would be greatly appricated!!!

Thank you!
Dear Customer
This is why I love this forum. Great Sabre owners helping others. It looks like you've gotten a ton of great input. Is there anything you need me to expand on?
Sabresam

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 03-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #615

I keep going back and fore on this whole slider no slider issue and not its friday afternoon and I need the hitch Wednesday I guess I got my self in a bit of a mess. I was 100% sold on getting a slider an hour ago then I started calling around and of the four suppliers I called none of them have sold a sliding companion but lots of regular one.... now I'm thinking the other way again and I like to give local rv the sale but they are $300 more then the online guys...... I got to make a call here um.....

SabreSam can you put my mind at ease over the different front caps? Did they just change design in the middle of the year and or did did they change the profile as wheel?

Thanks again for everyone's input
"Duramax"

B&W companion slider
Old 03-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #616
Camper Less Camping

IMO...the fix hitch will be a lot easier to resale...so try the fixed hitch with the camper for awhile and if you still feel uncomfortable with it...you'll have time to shop for a slider at your leisure & post your old hitch for sale to help pay for the new hitch.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #617
Fulltime family RVer

Good point, Cajun. The fixed Companion (especially if its a 3500) will sell like hot cakes on CraigsList.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #618

This question is for SabreSam - can you explain why or why not the Sabre fifth wheels sometimes have the oval window above the slideouts usually at the kitchen area? Are these optional or how is it decided which units get them? Have looked at 2014 models at two dealers - dealer A had them on every one and dealer B had none at all. Dealer B could not explain why...and nothing in brochure
Old 03-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #619
Here to Help

Quote:
I keep going back and fore on this whole slider no slider issue and not its friday afternoon and I need the hitch Wednesday I guess I got my self in a bit of a mess. I was 100% sold on getting a slider an hour ago then I started calling around and of the four suppliers I called none of them have sold a sliding companion but lots of regular one.... now I'm thinking the other way again and I like to give local rv the sale but they are $300 more then the online guys...... I got to make a call here um.....

SabreSam can you put my mind at ease over the different front caps? Did they just change design in the middle of the year and or did did they change the profile as wheel?

Thanks again for everyone's input
All if our designs offer approx. The same turning radius. I don't quote a degree because then a hitch installer moves an install forward or back and the degree changes.

I normally tell customers that after their sabre, the next purchase may need a slider. So pay now or later. Just my comment. Not sure it will ease your mind.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #620
Here to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
This question is for SabreSam - can you explain why or why not the Sabre fifth wheels sometimes have the oval window above the slideouts usually at the kitchen area? Are these optional or how is it decided which units get them? Have looked at 2014 models at two dealers - dealer A had them on every one and dealer B had none at all. Dealer B could not explain why...and nothing in brochure
That window is not an option. Normally it is model specific. I'd be more than glad to verify a specific model if needed. Let me know.

Tags
factory, sabre, warranty