Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
2009 Sabre 31RETS-6 Heating ducts

Hi, we are having a problem with heat distribution in our Sabre. The two heating ducts towards the rear of the trailer, living area and part of kitchen, have a good flow rate The ones towards the front, bedroom, bathroom and entrance area, are very poor. There is hot air getting to them but not at any great flow rate.

Looking at the position of the furnace, it appears that a duct comes from the furnace to the centre of the kitchen then branches via a "T" to the back and front of the trailer. Obvious first though was a blockage after the T towards the back of the trailer. Although I wasn't able to see through the duct work to check for a blockage, there was no apparent block when I pushed a steel tape measure from the back ducts to the front, likewise a flashlight placed in the duct-work showed no blockage.

Any thoughts?

ex-egll
__________________

__________________
ex-egll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rjf7g's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 147
Has this been the case since 2009 or is this a new problem? I had a similar issue with my Gulf Stream and the dealer installed another duct in the front bedroom.

Even with the new duct, we were still getting too much heat in the rear bedroom, so I bought a vent that had a damper on it. The air will take the path of least resistance, so this helped with that issue.
__________________

__________________
***********************************************
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Thanks for the response! I must admit I have never checked this out before, for all I know it could have been like it from day 1.

What really confuses me is the fact that both vent 1 and vent 2 are equidistant (about 18") from the T with no apparent blockage any where, yet the airflow at vent 1 is about 10 times greater than at vent 2. All I can think of now is that there is a massive leak towards the front of the trailer.





ex-egll
__________________
ex-egll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
amxpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 683
Seems to be a common concern with 5th wheels. At nite, I placed 2 magnetic register covers over the registers in the living room and kitchen which increased the volume coming out in the bathroom and bedroom.
I ended up replacing the registers with ones that I could close the louvers, purchased at Lowe's.
__________________
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
2007 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins
Reese 15K manual slider
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-egll View Post
Hi, we are having a problem with heat distribution in our Sabre. The two heating ducts towards the rear of the trailer, living area and part of kitchen, have a good flow rate The ones towards the front, bedroom, bathroom and entrance area, are very poor. There is hot air getting to them but not at any great flow rate.

Looking at the position of the furnace, it appears that a duct comes from the furnace to the centre of the kitchen then branches via a "T" to the back and front of the trailer. Obvious first though was a blockage after the T towards the back of the trailer. Although I wasn't able to see through the duct work to check for a blockage, there was no apparent block when I pushed a steel tape measure from the back ducts to the front, likewise a flashlight placed in the duct-work showed no blockage.

Any thoughts?

ex-egll
Ex-eg
My sabre has the same issue.
We "sabre factory" and I think we have a solution.

Blocking vents does not solve the issue.

I'll send you a pm with my contact info.



TURBS

golf cart safety instructor
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
Has this been the case since 2009 or is this a new problem? I had a similar issue with my Gulf Stream and the dealer installed another duct in the front bedroom.

Even with the new duct, we were still getting too much heat in the rear bedroom, so I bought a vent that had a damper on it. The air will take the path of least resistance, so this helped with that issue.
My 11' has the same issue.
At the goshen rally I found that a 10' did not have the issue and a 12' that also did not have an issue.

The factory tech's and I discussed the problem and think we've found the problem and a cure.

TURBS

golf cart safety instructor
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Again, thanks for the comments, and to f1100turbo for the call. Have got a couple of ideas to work on now. I'll update after I've played around a little
__________________
ex-egll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Let us know what may be the fix of this problem because I don't get much heat up in our bedroom either. Thanks
__________________
Woodchuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck88 View Post
Let us know what may be the fix of this problem because I don't get much heat up in our bedroom either. Thanks
Pm sent.

TURBS

dog wisperer
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
To let everyone know were going to be doing the modification soon with pictures to fix this issue.

TURBS

dog wisperer
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heating, sabre

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.