Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 04:44 AM   #1

2011 Palomino Sabre 31 CKTS Second A/C?

Greetings. Has anyone been successful with getting that second a/c installed? If so, name, brand, model number????

We purchased a pre-owned 31 CKTS and took it to a local RV Dealer/Service center to get it completely checked out. We asked that the second a/c be installed. Through the inspection process we were told if one was put in it would leak down into the bed because of the curve in the roof line. Surely if it's been wired and a space provided there must be an a/c unit that will work? Any information and experience anyone has to pass on would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Larry and Pam Crews
Team Crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:05 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Crews View Post
Greetings. Has anyone been successful with getting that second a/c installed? If so, name, brand, model number????

We purchased a pre-owned 31 CKTS and took it to a local RV Dealer/Service center to get it completely checked out. We asked that the second a/c be installed. Through the inspection process we were told if one was put in it would leak down into the bed because of the curve in the roof line. Surely if it's been wired and a space provided there must be an a/c unit that will work? Any information and experience anyone has to pass on would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Larry and Pam Crews
Your "dealer" is absolutely wrong!
Many sabre have a second a/c, even ones that have not been prepped for second
A/c have had a second installed.
You have 50 amp service right?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
Always Learning

I've got a second A/C and in really high humidity situations get some drips onto the bed.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've got a second A/C and in really high humidity situations get some drips onto the bed.
Not sure how this got here.
Posted in another thread.

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #5

We just bought a 2014 Sabre, 32BHOK. We had the second AC installed. The dealer installed a Penguin II, low profile unit. They never said anything like that to us about leaking issues. We have already been in alot of rain with it and haven't seen any issues with it leaking. I also got up on the roof and looked over the second AC installation.
Even though there is some curve to the roof in that location it looks to me like it sets pretty flat to the roof and sealed up nicely. Ours sits over the master bedroom too.
I think I would ask a different dealer or go back to that one and TELL them you want it installed.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #6

We didn't get the second AC. Twice I wish I had. You may not use it often but when you know you could have had it, it will bother you too.
Can't see why it would leak if it's installed right.

I was afraid of what it would add to my overall height. When asked I envisioned a full size unit. Not sure how much a "low profile" unit adds. Anyone know?
Old 05-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Low pro Iirc adds no additional height.
It's about the same as a max air 2 vent cover

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #8

The low profile, Penguin II on our unit is 11" high on the roof. The standard Dometic DuoTherm unit is 13 1/2" high on our roof.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. Are we saying the overall height would be the same? I just get under wires at my house by 6 inches.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa1000 View Post
We didn't get the second AC. Twice I wish I had. You may not use it often but when you know you could have had it, it will bother you too.
Can't see why it would leak if it's installed right.

I was afraid of what it would add to my overall height. When asked I envisioned a full size unit. Not sure how much a "low profile" unit adds. Anyone know?
Our 34reqs has a full size second AC. That puts our height at 13'6". No leaking issues noted as of yet.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:44 PM   #11
JDV

Hello all. I'm new to this forum stuff but I defiantly find it very interesting its good to have access to all the knowledge out the in Sabre land.
Anyhow I have a 2015 33 Rest. We just installed a penguin for the second ac above the bed room. Awesome unit no leaks and keeps the height to 13.2.
JDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #12

Thanks, for the update. I'm kinda new here too. That would be a little too high for me. Better to sweat than damage anything.
dwa1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:52 PM   #13
JDV

Legal height is 13.6 so no worries for over height
Old 05-13-2015, 11:17 PM   #14
Always Learning

2011 Palomino Sabre 31 CKTS Second A/C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa1000 View Post
Thanks, for the update. I'm kinda new here too. That would be a little too high for me. Better to sweat than damage anything.

I wouldn't expect it to add much more than 4-5" compared to anything else in the vicinity.

13' 4" tall for me when hitched up with a full profile A/C.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #15

Thank you all for the wonderful input. I did have a few words with the service manager and she FINALLY contacted Forest River Service Department and amazingly a Penguin II is now on order and due to be installed in our rig next week. If it hadn't been for all your insights I probably would have just let it go, and then would been swearing and cussing once in warm weather and not be able to sleep because of the heat. Thanks again! Cheers to you on those happy trails.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #16

We had the bedroom air installed on our 2013 Sabre req34. It leaked after a very hard rain. Dealer said a seal was twisted and charged us $100 + to repair. They had installed it. They said our extended warranty didn't cover that. We were disappointed when we realized they had not installed an air conditioner that was wired to the thermostat on the wall so we must control it manually. Might want to be sure you know what you are getting on that issue.
Husker country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker country View Post
We had the bedroom air installed on our 2013 Sabre req34. It leaked after a very hard rain. Dealer said a seal was twisted and charged us $100 + to repair. They had installed it. They said our extended warranty didn't cover that. We were disappointed when we realized they had not installed an air conditioner that was wired to the thermostat on the wall so we must control it manually. Might want to be sure you know what you are getting on that issue.
Thanks Husker Country for your post. We were told that the a/c will not be connected to the thermostat on the wall, that we will have to manually control it. Is that the same for the others have an Penguin II Low Profile a/c?
Old 05-18-2015, 05:01 PM   #18

yes, that is correct. Thats how ours is installed too. They told us that in advance.

Tags
2011, palomino, sabre