Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #1

2012 Sabre 34RLQS

It seems like I only see post about the trouble people are having with their Sabre's so I thought that I would share my experiences.
We have put about 10,000 miles on ours and live in it six months a year in Colorado. The only real problem that we have had is that they used the wrong fittings on the hot water heater at the factory, they used PET fittings instead of barbed fittings which of course blew off. Other than that and the usual small items, all of which I fixed myself, our unit has been great. We love it and would definitely buy another. Looking forward to many more trouble free years.......
okietom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:38 PM   #2

This forum, and the internet in general is a convenient way for folks to complain about their camper of choice. I suspect the majority of satisfied owners have never posted here, leaving a lot of complainers (some justified of course) on the net who should try sharing their repair experiences so others can learn. Instead of dropping the dime on the "Factory Friday" unit they think they have.
Granted there are some craftsmanship issues to be addressed, but our family has also enjoyed a Sabre 5th wheel with minimal issues. A bad owning motor recalled by the Forest River and replaced by the dealer promptly. And a bad wheel magnet which the axle manufacturer took care of also.
I think prospective buyers should develop a good relationship with a recommended dealer, and not shop half way across the country for the cheapest price then vent your frustration here when the local repair shop can't/won't help you. This is certainly NOT the automotive industry. A great dealer has the heart of a teacher, not just the heart of a sales person. And they will help guide you on your quest for that perfect camper, if such an animal exists of course.
I think the OP is sympathetic to all owners who have problems with their unit, but would like to hear from more of the satisfied RV'ers. Many owners, like myself are moderately mechanically inclined and visit Lowes/Home Depot on a regular basis to keep our campers in shape, and are forever satisfied Forest River Saber owners, that is until the DW stumbles upon that new floor plan "we" can't resist. I just hope it's a Sabre.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I am one of the many with issues. I too agree we need to hear from the positive experiences. It helps those of us with problematic rigs realize it is not all of the trailers in the line. Having as much forum experience as I do, I know problems like mine are not seen with just one line or one manufacturer. The positive experiences and our former Sabre Sam member were big parts of our buying a sabre.

I echo Silhouette Penny's thoughts with buying local. Had I not bought local and developed a good relationship with my dealer, I would have had a lot more issues than I do now. I also recommend those who have issues talk to the guys at Sabre directly and even go to the factory rally. As many major issues as we've had, they have always tried to make them right with as minimal impact on my camping as they could. Granted, I'm almost 2 years into ownership and still having big issues but the relationships I have made through open communication and not slamming the brand have been helping me. An email to Gary Grigsby revealed he is no longer with Sabre but he sent me on to Robert Smith at Sabre. Robert remembered us from the factory rally. Between Robert and my dealer, parts are being expedited. The pin box plate is being replaced, and they will take the skin down to see what the lump under the cap is (broken weld????) Hopefully all will be well soon.

Not quite what the OP had in mind but hearing positive customer service from someone with large issues is also good to hear too.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, sabre