Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2016, 12:35 AM   #1

36QBOK converter/charger replacement

Does anyone know what model of converter/charger is installed on a 2014 36QBOK? I would like to replace the stock on with one from Progressive Dynamics. If anyone has done this I'm interested in which model you switched to and any tips as this is new territory for me.

I am also looking to add in 4- 6v batteries in a series parallel combo so I can be offgrid longer.

2013 Sabre Palomino 36QBOK
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Dually
2010 Lincoln Navigator L
Scoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #2

Adding a secondary charger is one thing but the convertor built in is a fuse box circuit panel as well as battery charger/maintainer. I blew the charger circuit board in our grey wolf by using a cheap soldering iron plugged into the trailer while the trailer was plugged into the house. The trailer came with a blue led light strip under the awning. I bought a white led strip and installed it with its 3m backing right along side of the blue one then bought a tiny toggle switch from radio shack and installed it on the black plastic panel that coveres the hole where the awning wires and led light strip wires come out of the trailer. I could stand on the top step and flip the switch with a stick to switch between the blue or white. I kept it on white but did not loose the blue. Options are good not that I'd ever use the blue. When I got done the charger no longer worked. The soldering iron back fed power....ac ground/neutral through the 12 volt negative and took out the circuit board. I looked on amazon and a hot seller is the replacement charger circuit board within the convertor. Reviews show it lasts longer than the factory one. I took mine back to camping world and they replaced the unit under warranty. After learning how sensitive the charger board is I would not want to connect a battery charger externally without disconnecting the built in charger via a fuse on the convertor or a battery switch. I knew the soldering iron could back feed power but expected the charger board to be protected internally. It was not. I suspect the aftermarket one on amazon is based on it's reviews of reliability.
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoffman View Post
Does anyone know what model of converter/charger is installed on a 2014 36QBOK? I would like to replace the stock on with one from Progressive Dynamics. If anyone has done this I'm interested in which model you switched to and any tips as this is new territory for me.

I am also looking to add in 4- 6v batteries in a series parallel combo so I can be offgrid longer.

Most likely a Wfco 8955
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This is a great option.
http://www.bestconverter.com/55-Amp-...l#.Vwp0Ncg8KnM

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:35 AM   #5
Always Learning

I literally just did this on my 2013 36QBOK! See this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ms-101719.html

Installed in it was a WFCO WF-68100A converter.

I replaced it with a PD 9280C from bestconverter.

I was able to do the install in about 20 minutes and I'm kind of an idiot.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback; Will I notice a difference in charging going to something like the PD 9280? I am upgrading to 4ea- 6v batteries as I boondook quite a bit and want to get the batteries up and to charge quickly when on the gen.

2013 Sabre Palomino 36QBOK
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Dually
2010 Lincoln Navigator L
Scoffman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, replacement