Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #1

Actuator and Lippert

I have had the adjustment on my big slide adjusted 3 times now and still I have the same issue. The issue is when extending the slide the last 2 feet or so, it sounds like I have caught a cat up in the fan belt! I watched as my wife extended and retracted and the actuator is scrapping the bottom of the hole in the frame that it is installed. It was first reported the day we brought it home. I have a 2 year warranty, yea spend the 150 bucks, on my 2015 Sabre and has been adjusted 3 times. Still having same issue, took it back in to the dealer and now they are saying "well Lipperts only warranty is 90 on adjustments." Folks the darn Actuator is rubbing the frame, even after 3 adjustments! I am half afraid to extend or retract as it scraps and squeals so loudly it is irritating.
A call to Forest River was absolutely useless. A call to Lippert was a wast of time.
Any ideas folks! Not real happy with response from Dealer but Lippert and Forest River really have gotten under my skin.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #2

Can you post a picture of the issue? Maybe we can help.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

Our 2013 Rockwood 2703 also has the same thing. I noticed it a couple of days after we took it home. Had the dealer look at it and the tech wrote on the work order that it should be replaced. Hasn't caused any problems and makes no noise. See what happens when it finally does. Grinder to the frame to elongate the hole?
Bob
Old 06-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #4

Here are some pics, notice the actuator rubbing on the bottom of frame. So here are the pics. Thanks for looking folks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151109_141314.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	110668   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151109_141317.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	110669   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151109_141343.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	110670   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151109_141359.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	110671  
Old 06-10-2016, 02:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearitis View Post
I have had the adjustment on my big slide adjusted 3 times now and still I have the same issue. The issue is when extending the slide the last 2 feet or so, it sounds like I have caught a cat up in the fan belt! I watched as my wife extended and retracted and the actuator is scrapping the bottom of the hole in the frame that it is installed. It was first reported the day we brought it home. I have a 2 year warranty, yea spend the 150 bucks, on my 2015 Sabre and has been adjusted 3 times. Still having same issue, took it back in to the dealer and now they are saying "well Lipperts only warranty is 90 on adjustments." Folks the darn Actuator is rubbing the frame, even after 3 adjustments! I am half afraid to extend or retract as it scraps and squeals so loudly it is irritating.
A call to Forest River was absolutely useless. A call to Lippert was a wast of time.
Any ideas folks! Not real happy with response from Dealer but Lippert and Forest River really have gotten under my skin.
I would ask to see that in writing, I never heard of such a thing, They had to adjust my slides two or three times in the 2 year period that never came up. Lippert has a two year warranty on the frames. Is that a plate that it passes through?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I would ask to see that in writing, I never heard of such a thing, They had to adjust my slides two or three times in the 2 year period that never came up. Lippert has a two year warranty on the frames. Is that a plate that it passes through?
When I called Lippert, they also responded that a 90 warranty on adjustments from date of purchase. But you are correct, I do need to see it in writing.

As to the plate, yes, it is a plate tacked welded to a larger opening in the frame.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #7

Quote:
That's the typical LCI M.O. They'll do everything they can do to make everything a PITA from ignoring you and not returning calls, to just telling you flat out lies. They are not a good company by a longshot. Just once I would like to see someone produce an actual warranty document from LCI as to what the actual warranty is on one of their frames. I have never seen one anywhere. I have now had 4 trailers with LCI frames and have never seen a written frame warranty document come with any of them.

I suggest you stay on FR/Sabre and forget about dealing directly with LCI. FR/Sabre chose to use that LCI frame, and FR/Sabre is who you gave your money to. Does Sabre offer and did you buy the 2nd year FR warranty? Frame and slide out mechanism are specifically listed as covered on that document.

I've personally tried to deal with LCI directly 4 or 5 times over the years including about 4 weeks ago. Once I was able to get them to send me some new seal material for their hybrid bunk doors after a lot of work on my end, but all the other times I just ended up beating my head off the wall. They'll just continue to make it difficult hoping you give up.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Have you tried to lift the end up off the metal cover that is tack welded to the frame?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If...(IF) the slide is correctly adjusted and it fits and seals well at both ends of the travel, the only way to keep the actuator from rubbing the plate on the frame is to enlarge the hole to the point it doesn't scrape.

Not trying to add to your problems and I'm sure someone was trying to eliminate the squeal... but that white lithium grease sprayed all over the rack will cause problems down the road as it attracts dust and dirt. Clean that off and use a good 'dry' spray with PTFE. Something like **THIS**

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Have you tried to lift the end up off the metal cover that is tack welded to the frame?
Yes, I have tried to lift evenly so as to not put anything in more of a bind. It is only the last 18 inches or so that it rubs so I may retract and try to grind down the plate a 16th or so, but good Ole LCI and FR told me that if "I" do any modifications then the warranty is void. What warranty was my question?
Old 06-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If...(IF) the slide is correctly adjusted and it fits and seals well at both ends of the travel, the only way to keep the actuator from rubbing the plate on the frame is to enlarge the hole to the point it doesn't scrape.

Not trying to add to your problems and I'm sure someone was trying to eliminate the squeal... but that white lithium grease sprayed all over the rack will cause problems down the road as it attracts dust and dirt. Clean that off and use a good 'dry' spray with PTFE. Something like **THIS**
I have used a "dry" lube for years on my RV's. And what you linked is exactly what I use on my slides and my garage door. Being an old farmer here, I know the problems that good ole grease creates. It attracts dirt like a magnet! The Lithium grease was there when I purchased new. In fact I pointed it out in our PDI. Of course there were all kinds of excuses and reasons and on and on...now I know why it was there, to quiet the noise.
You are right on enlarging the hole, that is my next step as stated in another reply.
The slide seals well, so next option is follow the "travel" of the actuator back to "retracted" and see how much room I have to enlarge the hole in the plate.
I will drop the enclosure on the belly and make sure I will not start a fire inside and start my grinding and see if I can get a little clearance. I hope it will not take much.

Searching the web, I have found others with this problem and most went back to a broken or twisted mount on the back end of the actuator. The actuator was actually over extending the length of the slide. I will look at that also.

I want to thank everyone for their comments and thoughts. I welcome more if they come to mind.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #12
Site Team

It looks as though the anchor end of the ram is too low on the frame. Your choice are to either raise the anchor point or enlarge the hole downward.

This is not an adjustment issue. It's a installation issue. It was installed wrong and whoever installed it (FR or LCI) should be the ones paying for fixing it.

Can you get a picture of the anchor point of that ram? My bet is that it was installed too low because the hole in the frame piece looks fairly centered.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:
good Ole LCI and FR told me that if "I" do any modifications then the warranty is void. What warranty was my question?

I wish you the best of luck dealing with LCI and by all means if you do ever find a copy of their written warranty please post it. I'd love to see it. As far as dealing with them I would rather deal with a serious case of VD.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I wish you the best of luck dealing with LCI and by all means if you do ever find a copy of their written warranty please post it. I'd love to see it. As far as dealing with them I would rather deal with a serious case of VD.
Valentines Day?
Virtual Desktop?
Vapor Density?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Valentines Day?
Virtual Desktop?
Vapor Density?

Muhahahahahahahaha