Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #1

Bedroom Slide out floor rotting 2010 Sabre 31RETS6

The title says it all really. I need to replace the flooring under the head of the bed with new 3/4" chipboard or plywood. The job itself doesn't seem to difficult (just preparation intensive) My only unknown is what supports the slide out? Are there metal arms somewhere that support it and provide the sliding mechanism? I don't THINK that the floor panel is needed for support, It IS connected to the sliding mechanism and obviously the motor movement is transferred through the floor. The question is, can I disconnect the motor attachment from the floor panel and remove the floor panel without the whole slider falling out?

Plan B is to cut out a piece of the flooring the whole width of the slider and about half its depth and replace it with new wood. There is plenty of room inside to place a piece of 2x4 the full width of the slide to join the old and the new together with screws.

Finally the outside exposed area of the floor on the underside of the slide out had some form of paper(?) protective barrier, what would this be and where can it be bought, or is there a common product that can be used?

Thanks for any input

ex-egll
ex-egll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #2

Well, the deed is done, reasonably painless and completed at leas an hour before the Tornado Watch came into effect. If any one is interested I cut out the rotten wood for the whole width of the slide-out, this went back about 12" do I cut out a piece 15" deep. I replaced this with a 7ft x 15" piece of 3/4" ply, making sure to use adequate sealant where the two pieces joined.

This went in easily after removing the bottom trim across the width of the slide out and also the trim piece on either side. In the process of doing this I may have found the cause of the problem, two screws had been over-torqued and had snapped, this may have left a sloppy fit allowing water to enter behind the trim and get to the wood. This is the first time that trim has been off since new, so I guess it left the factory that way.

Prior to starting all this I removed the drawers and night stand from the side of the bed. I also removed the bed decking. Word of warning, open up the under bed storage area fully and remove the gas struts, they are powerful, and if not removed it makes taking the bed deck of difficult.

All in all, most of the time is spent doing interior stuff like prepping the bed area. A quote for having this done by a local repair facility was upwards of $1500, total cost to me was around $50.00
ex-egll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #3

Glad to hear you were able to get it done and save a ton of money!

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #4

Same trailer as mine. No issues so far. Do you have any pictures?
Old 02-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #5

Were you able to determine the cause and take care of that?
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

How did you seal/repair the exterior? I have used fiberglass before.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom slide, roo, sabre, slide, slide out