Old 09-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #1

Black tank cracked in Sabre!

On the last day of our camping trip last week we had a strong sewer odor. I flushed the tank and headed home. The next day I started looking and found the stress crack in the black water tank. We have a 2014 36ckts. I ordered a new tank to replace the cracked one. What a pain in the *****.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
Head Rambler

Bummer about that. Not something you ever want to deal with.

At least you had an opportunity to dump it before it dumped itself completely.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #3

Yea I washed it out really good before we left. I new I was going to be working on it.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:08 AM   #4

I have a 2012 34RLQS with the same issue. Cracked where it necks down to the valve....
Old 01-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #5

Same here on our 2013 32RCTS. An apparent contributor to the stress was excess torqueing of the dump valve assembly by the bracket as it was attached to the frame.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #6

On my black tank I had an issue where in assembly someone placed a 1x4 board across the very edge of the black tank and then screwed it into the frame. Well the tank is slightly deeper than the frame it was mounted, so the board, when tank was weighted with sewage, would hold its position but the tank swelling put pressure on a corner of the tank and split it with a gap of about 1/4 inch. I took down the underbelly and removed the tank, and yes it was a pain, a real pain. I actually repaired the tank rather than buying a new one. I first was able to fill the gap internally by using a small amount of black roof material that comes in caulking tubes and pieces of ABS which sealed the tank, then By chipping up ABS fittings, using that to mix with the so called ABS glue and using plastic screen wire, spreading over a rather large area, and several layers and several days to cure, and then covering with liquid rubber. I then reinstalled the tank, without the suspect board. I mirrored hanging the tank just like the gray tank, which is the same size and config but did not have the 1x4 board. I have filled it to the top with water, bounced 100 miles, just to test it and all still good. We have used it several times since, in the heat and cold and all is good so far. I do expect that I will probably need to buy a new tank in the future, but for all intent and purposes, the repair is about 5 times thicker and stronger than the original tank. It behooves me that the weight of these tanks are solely held up by the lip or edge of the tank and that quality control, if there is any, did not catch the board and its placement.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #7

The quality control at Sabre and a lot of others is practically nonexistent. Unfortunately the buyer is often the Quality Control. Workmanship on these units leaves a lot to be desired. I think because of piece work. I watched the speed that these workers work at to be able to leave work early, often to farm or other more important (to them) things. It's a shame.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, sabre, tank