Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #1

Don't buy that bumper to bumper insurance

A friendly warning, when you buy that new camper they will try to sell you a insurance package that they say covers bumper to bumper,leaks and other problems are NOT covered, I believe I wasted 2700.00 on a fairy-tail
Live and learn..
Bill 036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #2

It has been my opinion that most extended warranties are not worth the money spent, with that said if my brother had not had an extended warranty on his GMC he would have been in the tank. You have to read the fine print and decide for yourself.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 036 View Post
A friendly warning, when you buy that new camper they will try to sell you a insurance package that they say covers bumper to bumper,leaks and other problems are NOT covered, I believe I wasted 2700.00 on a fairy-tail
Live and learn..
You should be able to cancel it and get your money back.
I've done it on cars and motorcycles.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #4

Thanks, I figure i'll keep it. after pro rating it I would probably get 100,00 bucks back.
Bill 036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
It is a crap shoot. I did receive a bumper to bumper lifetime extended warranty on my 2007 Jeep, and with recent problems it has paid for itself several times over, including a $1,200 AC repair this week that cost me $100. That being said, it depends on how you go about the purchase. In my bargaining for my current RV (which lasted approximately 6 hours) I obtained a 72 month extended warranty at a fraction of the original cost. Look at the warranty not as an add on (dealer perspective) but as part of the bargaining process. For instance, when you get to the final price you are willing to pay, which should be at minimum 30% below MSRP, the next step is to insist that they include the warranty. So, to me it is not a matter of yes or no, it's how you play the game. I think that so many folks over pay so much for their unit in the first place, that the amount of the EW is actually inconsequential. IMHO.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

Most extended warranties should come with a very detailed description of covergae. I have yet to see a plan that would cover structural issues as this is dependant on the work you the owner does for maintenance.

On a towable I thnk I would pass.
On a higher end fifthwheel with multi slides and an auto leveling system or any motorhome with similar systems i think I would opt for it with the potential for problems . I will borrow a simple old school rap motto that i have found to be true of any high end Rv " Mo money mo problems"
Primorver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primorver View Post
Most extended warranties should come with a very detailed description of covergae. I have yet to see a plan that would cover structural issues as this is dependant on the work you the owner does for maintenance.

On a towable I thnk I would pass.

On a higher end fifthwheel with multi slides and an auto leveling system or any motorhome with similar systems i think I would opt for it with the potential for problems . I will borrow a simple old school rap motto that i have found to be true of any high end Rv " Mo money mo problems"

This is true. I have a 32' Forester with two slides and leveling system. The reason I was open to the EW on my Jeep is that so many things are now computerized! More to fail. You do make a good point with the "Mo money mo problems" quote.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
Camp Bartender

*knocks on wood...

So far, I haven't had any trouble with my extended warranty. I just pay my $50.00 deductible and go on my merry way. Granted the biggest ticket item that has failed so far was my lippert power awning motor, but having the warranty was nice. Maybe a large part of it is also the dealership you purchase it from?

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I have never bought an extended warranty on any thing I have bought. Now as For Alan F it probably is good for him as looks like he keeps his toys for a while in that case it probably pays. For me I don't keep things long enough most of the time for me to shell out that kind of money that so far would have been just giving my money away. Like any insurance it's a crap shoot buy or not to buy. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #10

I bought the EW on my new one. It's new, so I could cash it in for pretty much full value. I need to look closer at it and determine exactly what's covered, and decide if I want to keep it. I'm glad this topic popped up to get me thinking about it.

OP what kind of problem did you have that the warranty didn't cover?

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #11

I recently renewed our contract with United States Warranty for an additional 5 years. They have covered our 2005 Cardinal since it was new. I am still ahead of the game when comparing cost vs covered expense. Very good company to deal with.
That said, I don't buy extended coverage on most things. The only other long term extended coverage I continued with is on my 2005 F-350 6.0 diesel. I have deffently come out ahead on that one. Now that I'm over 100,000 Ford won't renew it any more.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #12

I am one of the idiots who purchased one. I declined and they kept asking... they extended it to 7 years and I finally said OK. They won I guess...or I lost. I am only 7 months in and I purchased out of town so I figured I needed all the help I could get. The main reason I decided to give in was the availability to cancel. $150 cancellation fee and a division of months used. I thought that was fair...if I ever use it, it will prolly pay for itself the first time. If I don't then I never will forgive myself. I tend to do all I can so not a huge factor for me. They also do not require any annual BS trips.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #13

re

Wholesale Warranties tells you whats not covered, alot less mumbo jumbo to understand.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I've been poking around R/V forums for years and spend a lot of time conversing with folks in campgrounds for over 40+ years.

My consensus from what I've read and talked with folks about, is that people spend more money for extended warranties and get less out of them than any other type of insurance I can think of.

Many do not read the fine print. Many don't understand some require yearly inspections. (at the owners cost) Many have repairs out of pocket (thinking they are covered) only to find, they somehow get denied reimbursement. Many find the company has gone out of business when needed. On and on.

Never, ever sign on the dotted line for an extended warranty during the buying process until you've had an opportunity to read the fine print and explore and understand the options/conditions. (sometimes this research can take hours)

Never, ever trust what the dealer/salesman says without verifying it yourself. It is a money maker for them and THAT, is all they care about.

I'm not saying all are bad because there are some instances (mostly mechanical) where they can be beneficial and one repair can add up to more than what the warranty cost but please... buyer beware (and be aware) of extended warranties.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #15

Purchased a new TT in Feb of this year, along with the 10 year EW. Had same on our last TT which was a 5er. Had fridge replaced. That would have cost much more than EW. Also had slide motor and water heater. Well worth it on that one. As for the new TT. So much electronics on it, auto level, touch screen for all slides, lights, etc. Yes a crap shoot, but?
Camp on my friends
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 036 View Post
Live and learn..
I have one, won't be without, after reading many post on the subject I think buyers miss educate them self an don't have a realistic expectation, there are probably better ones than others , but I've had no problem in the use of ours, I think expectations an attitude go along way . If you don't properly maintain your unit you will have a hard time with them, same as with anything else in life
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmith2859 View Post
*knocks on wood...

So far, I haven't had any trouble with my extended warranty. I just pay my $50.00 deductible and go on my merry way. Granted the biggest ticket item that has failed so far was my lippert power awning motor, but having the warranty was nice. Maybe a large part of it is also the dealership you purchase it from?
X2
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #18

When we bought our unit, I was planning to buy a warranty and starting comparing the available ones for our coach. Surprise! They all tell you how driving down the road at 70mph is like subjecting your house to a hurricane and earthquakes but they don't cover ANYTHING that wind and vibration and water would cause. No roofs, no sidewalls no windows etc. from anyone! They cover your air conditioner, your fridge etc. but not the coach/trailer structure itself. I decided to save my money and am happy that I did ...especially since Ford has a great warranty on their chassis & engine.

IMO...the things they cover ain't worth the price so I'll deal with repairs myself as they occur. After year one full coverage...all the intiail bugs should be sorted out and then t comes down to wear and tear and luck. Many of the warranty companies are less reliable than the dealers!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #19
Enjoying Life

Extended warranties are like any other insurance. You have to ask one question:
Is it worth it to have some level of backup when things go wrong?
If you are a risk taker then you will not want it. If you like some security, you probably will.
Just remember when buying during purchase everything's negotiable! Warranties are a big profit center with a lot of room to barter. On my last purchase they wanted $2K for the 7 year warranty. When I left it was down to $500 and they probably still made money but I am happy. Won't take much to happen to reclaim the $500.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #20
WaitnToRide

FR Warranty + Extended Warranty

When we purchase our 5th wheel, FR offered to extend the manufacturer's warranty for a second year for $150. Before that second year was over we purchased a five year plan from Wholesale Warranties. Unfortunately we had to take advantage of both plans at one time or another and we had absolutely no issues with either company.
Windspell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance