Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-t View Post
I think I would be going back to the dealer and saying "Fix it now or replace it". If not I would be getting an attorney fast and taking the dealer to court. Dealer is who you had a contract to purchase from. Sometimes you have to just do it. A new unit: and those problems have been dragging on. Like Judge Judy says "ridiculous".
I don't think Judge Judy is the place to get advice on RV repair issues.

And I'm not an attorney, but taking the dealer to court isn't going to solve anything. The warranty is between the buyer and the manufacturer. The advice already given to bypass the dealer - who has admitted the issue is beyond their capability to repair - is probably much better advice.

The OP can ask (beg, plead his case, whatever) FR to buy the unit back, but warranty language is very clear on RV's and many other products. The manufacturer is not obligated to do so. The warranty requires them to make the existing unit right. Nothing more, nothing less. If they choose to take it back, it is strictly out of goodwill, not obligation.

Most of the feedback on this site from people who had major problems is that once they got approval to return a unit to the factory, the factory usually does a good job of rebuilding / repairing issues.

Once you turn a warranty issue into a legal issue - no major corporation will speak to you, let alone do any further work. They will "see you in court" and make a case they tried to fix the problem. Then who knows how it ends - other than the one sure outcome is the lawyers on both sides make money. This is the last resort as it will just further delay the ultimate goal - getting a usable RV.

I can't imagine anything more upsetting than paying for a brand new RV and not having use of it, but the take Herk up his offer to help find the right contacts at the factory and see if they can get it fixed.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
Old 02-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
The problem is that the entire camper leans towards the drivers side. It appears that the thing was built crooked on the frame. It is clearly not suspension. The dealer has measured everything and they are positive it is not suspension. They have replaced the springs anyway because the factory insisted on it. That didn't help at all, it actually got a tiny bit worse if anything. Now the factory has decided to blame Lippert. It's hard for me to blame the dealer because they want to help me but they say it is out of the scope of their capabilities. They need to get authorization to do warranty work anyway and they aren't getting it. I believe the entire shell is out of whack. Doors won't latch and now one of the slides is hanging up and tearing up the floor. We love the camper but this just isn't right.

If you haven't PM Herk7769 he can get you pointed in the right direction. Lawyer talk at this point is a bad idea and is a loose loose proposition.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Old 02-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #13
Director, FROG

Mikeysotp, I sent you a PM.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 02-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #14
Gold Miner At Heart

I edited my post because I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea that would cause them more problems. When I was quoting Judge Judy saying "ridiculous".
I wasnt taking advise from her I meant it's ridiculous for someone to have to go through this with a new unit and them having it for four months. I have sometimes a to much of a laid back attitude but there also comes a time when you have to put your foot down to get something done. Ive never been in that situation with a new camper before and I am so sorry you having to go through this. I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted of the out come.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
How much does it 'lean'?

Have you measured from the bottom of the frame to the ground on both sides when sitting on a perfectly level pad or parking lot?

Have you had the wheels/sides weighed individually?

If you haven't had these things done, I'd either ask the dealer to measure, weigh, test squareness, etc. while I observed, or I'd get it back from the dealer temporarily and set it up on a level surface and spend a day measuring and checking for out of square/ plumb and photographically document this procedure. Then you'd have more proof to show the mfg..

If you have a problem finding someone to weigh individual wheels, you may be able to contact your State Troopers weight division and show up when they're set up checking trucks and have it weighed. They probably won't give you a scale ticket, but you can write the numbers down and how you got them.
It leans about 1.5" - 1.75" depending on where it is measured. It has been confirmed by the dealer and the factory through multiple rounds of measurements and photos that it is well out of spec. When I originally noticed it I called the dealer and they made it sound like it wasn't a big deal and I kind of figured it was in part due to having 3 slides on that side and only 1 on the other. So I used it for the summer and brought it in right after labor day. It has been there since then.

If that isn't enough, I have one slide that is tearing up the floor and another slide that has cracking in the gel coat and the dealer has not repaired that either since they say the factory is getting it anyway they want it all fixed there. EDIT: I have not mentioned the dealer here and I’d prefer not to, but in the off chance that anyone knows who they are I just want to say that I have no beef with them whatsoever. I bought this unit down south because it was the closest one I could find since there are no Sabre dealers even remotely close to here. The FR dealer that has it is somewhat local to me and I fully believe this is not their fault. They say their hands are tied and it sounds about right to me.

I know my thread title mentions getting it replaced, I would actually prefer to just have mine fixed but I'm tired of waiting. My family is going to be devastated if we miss our one big trip of the year which is right around the corner. I have no idea what I am supposed to do about this any more.

2015 Nights Camped: 23
2016 Nights Camped: 27
2017 Nights Camped: 28
Old 02-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Mikeysotp, I sent you a PM.
Hoping this is some kind of divine intervention?!?!?!?!?!?

Old 02-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #17

I can tell you that, before I missed 6 months worth of trips, I'd be buying a cheap used unit to use until this was sorted out and then resell it. You'd likely lose little money- but you can always make more money- that 6 months and those family trips can't be recouped.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #18

Two suggestions:

1. A letter to the general manager of the dealer from an attorney often gets them off the dime. Be sure the cc. the BBB in the letter.

2. A call into your local news "troubleshooter" program can help accelerate the process. I would imagine a local dealer being on the news for a bad product/service would be the last thing they want. Even the possibility of the dealers name being mentioned on the local news may be enough motivation for quick resolution.

Best of luck!
Old 02-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #19

Please use Frog Bob. He will connect you and get action. No local dealer can action something like this.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I can tell you that, before I missed 6 months worth of trips, I'd be buying a cheap used unit to use until this was sorted out and then resell it. You'd likely lose little money- but you can always make more money- that 6 months and those family trips can't be recouped.
I hear ya, unfortunately money is a little tight these days. I bought a camper I could afford, buying a second however is not something I'd be financially comfortable doing. I paid a lot of money for this thing and it is really upsetting that this is how I've ended up. Luckily I've only missed a few trips, 2 big ones though, but typically we don't camp a ton in the winter.

Closed Thread

Tags
camper