Old 11-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #1

LED Light Strip Issues

I know there is a thread on this topic with many replies but I am hoping my question is simpler. I have had an 5050 RGB LED strip on my rig for two years but it has recently failed. I ordered a replacement and when I went to install it there was no way it would stick on. My old one stayed on just great. I am attaching it to the underside of the metal channel that the awning attaches to on the wall side of the rig. Nice channel, a bit wider than the strip. It was a hot day here in Arizona and the metal channel was VERY hot, so maybe that is why it would not stick. It just kept coming down. I tried to order another from my original vendor but they didnít have any waterproof.

So my question is do any of you have a brand or a vendor that has a product that will stay up or has anyone used an additional adhesive to make them stay in place. I prefer to just make this simple and stick it in the channel. It worked once so it should work again. I might try it on a cool day and hope the glue sets but donít know what will happen when it gets hot or maybe was thinking of running a 1/2 inch strip of 3M double sided foam tape and attaching the LED strip to that. I imagine that would be difficult to remove if I ever needed to replace the strip again. I have been in touch with some vendors on eBay who say their product has 3M double sided tape but it is not very sticky. Not sure where to go from here. Any assistance is much appreciated.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #2

I use 3M Body Molding Tape, like this, to attach things I do not want to come off...ever. It has never failed me yet. I've used it for sticking on plastic body trim and it easily handled Georgia heat and humidity as well as race track speeds...

The downside is it is real pain to remove if you want to remove it. You can "cut off" whatever is attached with a length of fishing line. You just "cut" through the tape's foam center. But getting the bottom layer of adhesive off can be time consuming. When possible the fastest, and easiest, way I've found is with 3M's "eraser wheel". If you can find one that will fit in your lighting channel that should work quite nicely.

The vendors you contacted on eBay are probably using a "knock off" product. The real 3M product is very sticky and very durable...

RedLdr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

We use this 3m adhesion promoter all the time at work.
I clean old tape off with a razor blade and 3m adhesive remover, if needed. Then i clean the area with rubbing alcohol. Then you wipe the exact area needed with the adhesion promoter. This stuff will make 3m or Norton (the only 2 brands that i will use), double side tape adhere very well to almost anything.....even your fingers.
Of course installation of any double side taped item, works best above 70į or so, warmer is better. And thats not just air temp but the actual temp of the vehicle or product that the tape is applied too.
Good luck!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1447210112437.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	94075  
Old 11-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #4

Hey Milertime,

This stuff looks like it is for adhesion to plastics in a car. Will it work on a metal strip?

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Hey Milertime,

This stuff looks like it is for adhesion to plastics in a car. Will it work on a metal strip?
We use it on anything and everything.
Painted metals, plastics, aluminum, glass, fiberglass, rubber seals. You might be surprised at all the things double side tape is used on, on everyday vehicles. This stuff honestly will make your fingers adhere together if tape is stuck to them.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

Oh, but of course you have to have a good tape. There isn't anything better out there.....or I'd be using it. When i was at a dealership, i had the best success rate on products that were taped on, and we did lots of body side molding under warranty over the years.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:52 PM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

One packet of the adhesion promoter will cover about 5-6 feet of a bare material in about a 1/2" to 7/8" wide wipe. If there is some old double side that is still stuck on, it will be about half of that
Old 11-11-2015, 08:13 AM   #8

I originally used a plastic channel from HD to mount my light strip and used 3M tape to mount it to the 5ver. Over 2 years later and it is still stuck......I would have to pry it off to remove it.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #9

If you picked up the LED strip that is supposedly "waterproof" with the IP68 rating, its enclosed in a clear silicone sleeve. You will not get anything to stick to that sleeve including the best grade of tape from 3M. That's why the single color LED strips they sell specifically for RV's come with an aluminum C channel. The C channel gets applied with tape, and the LED strip snaps into the channel.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I used alum. channel made for the light strips....used short stainless metal screws thru channel into gutter ,on bottom of gutter, and caulked screws.......when, and they do, go bad, no mess of fuss to change out. By the way, they also sell a clear lense for the track that I cut into sections cause you can't push 16' of flex that far..

Tags
led, light