Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #21

Good luck 199 on your new camper purchase. We know how exciting this can be.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #22
Oklahoma Proud

The bad thing is all the lower to mid level brands are having the same issues. And ive even heard some on the high end (DRV, Lifestyles and such). I think it is the cheap plastic world we live in.
I work for a huge auto group, with everything from Porche, audi, land rover to Kia, Ford and Dodge, and Gmc. After working on all of them, I'm not impressed with how any of them are built anymore, especially with longevity in mind.
But these are the options we are offered- so we just pick our poison, and pray to God that we are one of the blessed few, with few problems!

oops. forgot to check mark that stupid box again!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #23
In Search of a Vacation

I guess it's like I explained to Gary in conversation. We made a $50K+ purchase in good faith on something that we researched almost 1 year and half on deciding exactly what we wanted and our expectation is that it would at least last until the financing was paid off and that in the condition and the sheer number of defects we've seen so far on our brand new unit we aren't very optimistic about it even making it half way and that's unacceptable in every way. We will be watching this and Doug's posts very carefully in deciding our next move in all of this mess. I'm seriously considering making the 8 hour trip up to see the unit before it leaves. The last thing I want is it getting back here and then it having to go back to the factory for another 4 months. We're tired of paying for something we don't have as I'm sure you are as well.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #24

I would make the trip. This is my 3rd trip there and you have no idea how mad I am at quality and personal experience at the plant. I have been blown off in person like my opinion means nothing at times. I feel like I am purchasing a rebuilt camper. When you tear off the complete side of a new camper and have to repair 2 slides because it is tearing the vinyl floor and repair the actual wood floor in the bunk room because it was not fastened correctly, they expect that I should be happy that they are fixing the problems (WOW). I assume that they have as much tied up in the repairs as they would have in a new unit which blows me away they didn't replace it from the beginning. There would no doubt I would show up in person and inspect in person. I know it's a long drive, takes me 6.5 to get there myself but I see no way in trusting there word it is done correctly.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #25

Mad Momma - Sabre 36QBOK returned to factory

I just ordered my sabre. I assume it's just like anything else, and sometimes you just get Lemons. Also, the folks who are really happy don't post long comments about all the wonderful things about their RV.

I sure hope they make you guys whole. However, I have several friends with Sabres and they are really happy.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #26

We know there are going to be problems. The other 5 we have bought new had problems but they we very minor. These problems are Are huge compared the the others we have had. I do understand that some are lemons and mine just fell out of the lemon tree. I hope your is much better than what we got. I wish dealing with this on no one because it is tough and stressful when no one listens.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #27

If it's any help Mad Daddy, we're listening.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #28
In Search of a Vacation

Ok, So based on this situation along with Doug's I'll be calling Gary tomorrow. Depending on the answers that I receive I'll be making my way up there on Tuesday to inspect our unit for the repairs made or the lack of repairs made. Then based on what I find I'll proceed from there.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #29

If you are there Tuesday, we will be there and so will Doug. It's not a pleasant party, but join in!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #30

These are not the only FR products to have problems. Columbus has had it share as well. One coulpe has had their unit back to the factory, it came back filthy and not really fixed as promised. Many others have had wheels bearing problems. While some (like mine) have had virtually no problems. Go figure. I put 7500 mi on it in 9 months. not counting the 1200 delivery mi. So far, so good. One of my friends has a $500K MH and he has put more money in it for things and this is after buying a $24K warranty!!! The system is flawed and factories are just giving what we want or need. Some of it is our fault -(i.e. insisting on inexpensive stuff, buying at Wally World and thinking you are getting a "good deal", hoping in one hand and "pooping" in the other - see which fills first). OK, I am ended. This just sux for those stuck in the squeeze.
Master Blaster of the Navy
Old 02-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #31

Columbus is forest river is it not? Same company.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignugget View Post
Columbus is forest river is it not? Same company.
Yes they are the same.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #33
Oklahoma Proud

If it makes anybody feel better, my coworker bought a $56k Montana High Country- by Keystone, last summer and after owning a couple of months, noticed the floor was spongy in the master bath. After taking it to the dealer, with much time passing, Keystone engineers, dealer service and I dont know who all looked at it. After a few months it was determined that some of the aluminum inner-structure was absent and thus the floor....and now toilet issue. Eventually his dealer and Keystone found somebody to go and add structure to his fiver and he is "fixed up" for now.
Anyway even a "very" well known brand such as montana has their issues, so its not just a forest river issue.
And FYI Columbus, Sabre, Sabre silhouette, puma and palomino are all sub-brands of Palomino by Forest River

oops. forgot to check mark that stupid box again!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #34

Wow! Sorry to hear about the poor service. Sure the trailer has major issues but the service is inexcusable. Thanks for speaking out and now I will keep my Jayco and not buy a Sabre.

Interestingly, I went to see the Sabre line which is a supposedly a step above my Jayco Eagle superlite but I had a nagging concern about the Sabre. My wife liked the units but I noticed the poor caulking, bad fit and finish, and other small defects. I also looked at a Sundance by Heartland at the same dealer and it was way better fit and finish. I was also suspicious cause the sales guy kept pushing the Sabre.

I have had several small fixes and 1 major with my last three Jaycos but service has been excellent and the dealer has done well also. I had to have a rear exterior wall replaced and Jayco was great with no hassles. Also the two year warranty is nice. 1st year to find issues 2nd year to have them fixed!

Anyways, best of luck and dump that Sabre asap and tell everyone you meet of your outcome and poor service!

Wlhm
Old 02-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhm View Post
Wow! Sorry to hear about the poor service. Sure the trailer has major issues but the service is inexcusable. Thanks for speaking out and now I will keep my Jayco and not buy a Sabre.

Interestingly, I went to see the Sabre line which is a supposedly a step above my Jayco Eagle superlite but I had a nagging concern about the Sabre. My wife liked the units but I noticed the poor caulking, bad fit and finish, and other small defects. I also looked at a Sundance by Heartland at the same dealer and it was way better fit and finish. I was also suspicious cause the sales guy kept pushing the Sabre.

I have had several small fixes and 1 major with my last three Jaycos but service has been excellent and the dealer has done well also. I had to have a rear exterior wall replaced and Jayco was great with no hassles. Also the two year warranty is nice. 1st year to find issues 2nd year to have them fixed!

Anyways, best of luck and dump that Sabre asap and tell everyone you meet of your outcome and poor service!

Wlhm

I had the same concern the day I picked it up but I was assured by our dealer that this is a great camper and they may very well be but this one sure isnt. I know it's not my dealers fault but this is a lesson learned ( a very expensive lesson ) to always trust your gut feeling and never second guess it, I should have walked away and kept looking.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #36

Wow, We went to the Detroit RV show this past weekend and my wife fell in love with a Columbus 320RS however reading all of this we are having second thoughts
Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #37

There will always be issues, but how a manufacturer stands BEHIND their product is the true test. Again, I don't fault forest river for putting out a product with problems but to allow that through their PDI department is nuts. But then to have it take 3 months to repair a unit that only takes a fraction of that time to make new is worse. I have not seen the unit, but we head out tomorrow for a Wednesday inspection. I sure hope to see good things!

As a side note, I sent an email over the weekend asking for their PDI report. I've not gotten any response yet.....
Old 02-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #38

I don't understand why any company would spend X time building a product and 2X time fixing it. If they built it right in the first place, well you know where I'm going with this....
Old 02-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #39
TeresaInCAL

All I can say is I'm sorry all of this has happened. I sure hope FR fixes this for you. I hope you let us know the result of your walk through.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #40

IMHO... This will prolly get some strikes. I will not EVER seek to buy a fiberglass trailer. Scared to death of them... JS I love the idea of fiberglass/foam/aluminum instead of wood and OSB (no rotting). I know the metal exterior will flex and slide...fiberglass bends wonderfully, but it doesn't rack well and this IS the sidewall stress they all encounter... hence the cracks.
Closed Thread

Tags
customer service, factory, sabre, service, warranty