Old 04-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

My Sabre 36QBOK is Awesome!!!!

Most people are much more motivated to go to the internet to complain when they have problems than they are when they have a positive experience. While that is understandable, it can skew someoneís opinion when they are looking for info about a product. I created this post with that in mind. I recently purchased my QBOK after two years of researching, going to RV shows, and bugging countless sales professionals with a multitude of questions. After all of that I made the decision that I felt was right for me and so far I am extremely happy with that decision. We went on our first trip this past weekend and the camper was awesome. Of course we had some minor issues but I am a firm believer that in an RV, and especially in our price range, perfection is highly unlikely. A google search on any brand will quickly find people unhappy with their purchase. Some justified, some a bit too picky in my opinion. For anyone interested, here is a short list of what I found to be good and not so good about our camper.

The Good:

-We have the standard hitch, not the trail air, but the camper all loaded up towed great.
-The layout proved to be just as perfect for us as we thought it would be.
-The size of the shower was awesome (Iím 6í3Ē 250lbs.)
-Setup was problem free.
-Very stable on the jacks and levelers.
-It got LOTS of second looks and compliments as they are very rare around here.
-I love how the bathroom fan comes on when you open the vent or it can be controlled by the wall switch, variable speed, etc.
-Interior lighting Ė EVERYWHERE! Going to be years before I learn all of the switches.
-Outdoor kitchens are the best thing ever and we liked this one better than any we saw in two years of looking.
-Heat worked great, didnít try the AC yet.
-Great storage, my DWís comment was ďWow, a lot more storage than I thought."

The Bad:

-The camper seems to lean, I measured it and it was higher on the right side by about a half inch. I guess this could be because there are 3 slides on that side??? I hope this isnít a major problem.
-Water pressure seemed a bit low but I am going to try a different pressure reducer next time. I swapped out the shower head with the Oxygenics but didnít see much of a difference.
-Some of the cabinets and drawers donít stay closed in transit. Almost tore one of the bunkhouse drawers in half putting the slide out.
-Door to the bunkhouse opens the wrong way, this is documented elsewhere on this site and I will be changing it.
-The Genesis system sounds great but I am having some issues with SD cards and the TV doesnít play audio through it.
-Had to enlarge holes on bike rack to lock it in the down position, another known issue but easy enough to fix.
-I had to be quick at the dump station but I think there is a leak in my black tank flush fitting, need to investigate further.
-The dining table and the kids table could be a bit sturdier. The poles donít fit all that tight into the holes. (get your mind out of the gutter! Lol)

All in all we absolutely love our Sabre. Iím sure there will be problems that pop up but hopefully nothing major. I have no idea why there arenít any dealers in my area (CT) but I would highly recommend Country Roads RV in North Carolina to anyone looking for a Sabre. They were great to work with and their prices are excellent. My friend was so impressed with the way I was treated that he went all the way down there to pick up a Surveyor TT that he had been wanting.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Glad you enjoy your sabre!
I know We enjoy ours !

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"

Old 04-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #3

We love our QBOK, warts and all. We are starting our third year and can hardly wait for our first camping weekend of the season, now just two weeks away. Congrats and enjoy!
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

We love our 36 too!

I also had to reem the pin holes for the bike rack.
On the tv....the sound only works out of the genisis unit when you play a dvd, or you can use the aux. Input on the genisis and plug into a head phone jack on the tv. I've done it before, but most of the time i leave it alone.
Our dealer installed, rear black tank flush had a leak at the hose crimp on the threaded end by the tank.....you might check there.

Good luck!

Here is a pic from last weekend. It was our second weekend this year at our seasonal/permanent site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1429152026311.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	74368  
Old 04-15-2015, 10:50 PM   #5

Glad you like your QBOK. We are starting year 3 with ours and absolutely love it. We put around 7000 miles on it in the last 2 years and decided to do a seasonal this year so we can get even more use (we average 40-50 nights per year).

Just set it up on our temp site tonight as they are finishing up the concrete slab still on our permanent site.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Congrats on your Sabre. I can tell you the folks at country roads are great to deal with, they helped us out with our old tt when it had an issue. The owner was also honest about truck capabilities. In the end we bought cheaper from another great dealer in Raleigh but Country Roads was very high on our list as both dealerships were within an hour of us.

Unfortunately our Sabre was one of the problem ones but I can tell you, palomino/forest river and our dealership have all worked with us to try to get things right. I'm hoping this trip to the dealership will fix the last of our issues. If you have any issues finding a local dealership to fix your Sabre, contact Gary Grigsby, he is the sabre warranty manager and he can help you out. Speaking of warranty, if you haven't already, purchase the forest river second year warranty for $150. You can find the application Here in the library.

It is good you have the patient understanding attitude towards the issues, that attitude has gone a long way towards getting our repairs handled appropriately.

Now as for your issues..... try your oxygenics at a different campground first, it could have been water pressure at the campground. It could also be limited by your in house water filter. Speaking of water filters, do a search on the fr-1 water filter these have in them. Not good.

On the tv, our surround sound didn't kick in unless you turned the volume way up. Once we learned that, it works well. With the cabinet doors/drawers not staying closed, you can install baby cabinet locks (found at Wal-Mart, target and toys r us). This can hold them closed. I'm probably going to put a set on my problematic cabinet under my bar.

As far as being unlevel, are you certain you were sitting level when measured? That said, I know to adjust my level according to how the slides tilt the trailer. My sabre has 3 slides on the driver's side and one on the passenger side. If I'm level before slides are out, I might be a half bubble high on passenger side after the slides are out. This is normal, it happened with my old tt as well.

Overall despite our issues, we too love our Sabre. Enjoy yours and may it bring you many wonderful memories.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:17 AM   #7

Welcome to the Sabre family. We really enjoy ours too. As far as all the electric switches goes I used a label maker to make labels for ours.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Congrats on your Sabre. I can tell you the folks at country roads are great to deal with, they helped us out with our old tt when it had an issue. The owner was also honest about truck capabilities. In the end we bought cheaper from another great dealer in Raleigh but Country Roads was very high on our list as both dealerships were within an hour of us.

Unfortunately our Sabre was one of the problem ones but I can tell you, palomino/forest river and our dealership have all worked with us to try to get things right. I'm hoping this trip to the dealership will fix the last of our issues. If you have any issues finding a local dealership to fix your Sabre, contact Gary Grigsby, he is the sabre warranty manager and he can help you out. Speaking of warranty, if you haven't already, purchase the forest river second year warranty for $150. You can find the application Here in the library.

It is good you have the patient understanding attitude towards the issues, that attitude has gone a long way towards getting our repairs handled appropriately.

Now as for your issues..... try your oxygenics at a different campground first, it could have been water pressure at the campground. It could also be limited by your in house water filter. Speaking of water filters, do a search on the fr-1 water filter these have in them. Not good.

On the tv, our surround sound didn't kick in unless you turned the volume way up. Once we learned that, it works well. With the cabinet doors/drawers not staying closed, you can install baby cabinet locks (found at Wal-Mart, target and toys r us). This can hold them closed. I'm probably going to put a set on my problematic cabinet under my bar.

As far as being unlevel, are you certain you were sitting level when measured? That said, I know to adjust my level according to how the slides tilt the trailer. My sabre has 3 slides on the driver's side and one on the passenger side. If I'm level before slides are out, I might be a half bubble high on passenger side after the slides are out. This is normal, it happened with my old tt as well.

Overall despite our issues, we too love our Sabre. Enjoy yours and may it bring you many wonderful memories.
Thanks for the reply. I hope you get your issues resolved. We buy these things to get away from stress so they shouldn't be causing more of it.

I measured the two rear corners of mine while hitched to my truck and they were uneven. The reason I checked is when we were bringing it home from NC we hit a rest stop and while we were walking back towards it it was leaning a lot worse than that but I just assumed it was not on level ground so I kind of forgot about it. We stopped the other day and I noticed it again although it was not quite as bad. Now I have it full of our gear so who knows if that is making it better or worse at this point. I'm wondering if I should empty it completely and remeasure or just forget about it.

I'm thinking the water pressure thing was related to the park water or my reducer since it was kinda low throughout. Time will tell on that one. I will definitely check into the water filter issue, hopefully it isn't as bad as the few things I'm thinking it could be as I type this!

Already bought the baby locks. They may not look great but better than the alternative. Maybe I should reconsider my driving skills......
Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Welcome to the Sabre family. We really enjoy ours too. As far as all the electric switches goes I used a label maker to make labels for ours.
Great idea, I don't camp all that often so this might be just what I need.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
Thanks for the reply. I hope you get your issues resolved. We buy these things to get away from stress so they shouldn't be causing more of it.

I measured the two rear corners of mine while hitched to my truck and they were uneven. The reason I checked is when we were bringing it home from NC we hit a rest stop and while we were walking back towards it it was leaning a lot worse than that but I just assumed it was not on level ground so I kind of forgot about it. We stopped the other day and I noticed it again although it was not quite as bad. Now I have it full of our gear so who knows if that is making it better or worse at this point. I'm wondering if I should empty it completely and remeasure or just forget about it.

I'm thinking the water pressure thing was related to the park water or my reducer since it was kinda low throughout. Time will tell on that one. I will definitely check into the water filter issue, hopefully it isn't as bad as the few things I'm thinking it could be as I type this!

Already bought the baby locks. They may not look great but better than the alternative. Maybe I should reconsider my driving skills......

What I was talking about was when slides were out. If it is leaning with slides in then it seems like it is either sitting on unlevel ground or something is wrong.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sabre