Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #1

Our new Sabre 32 RCTS Fifth Wheel

We took delivery of our new 2013 Sabre 32 RCTS a few weeks ago but, for a variety of reasons, I haven't done many posts, but... I think there there are a number of topics worth sharing.

First, we are very pleased with our choice and the overall style and feel of our unit. We were a little disapported to find a number (15 & counting) mfg defects all of which (we feel) should have been caught at the factory or better yet, prevented by a different level of quality. Examples include:
  • A cracked seem in the solid surface counter
  • A hole in the awning
  • A hole in the airbed
Fortunately, our dealer (Dolney RV in Kawkawlin, MI) is on top of getting them resolved and in fact, several corrective actions were taken even before we picked the unit up. BTW...we do highly recommend Dolney Rv for anyone looking for a Sabre dealer in Mid Michigan.

But apart from these correctable problems, we're very happy and keep finding more things to be happy abput. From reading this forum, I was anticpating Genesis stereo/video problems but found none. In fact, the sound quailty is pretty ausome.

We got the upgraded matress which was a good choice for us and the recliner upgrades aree quite "nap-worthy". Lighting is great too, although I do plan on doing some swith relocations.

All systems (Plumbing/ electrical/HVAC, etc) are working flawlessly. Slides operate smoothly and quietly. We even figured out that we can fill our fresh water tank from water jugs by "sucking" it into the antifreeze port and filling the tak from the convienently located hand shower. This was a plus for us because we do a lot of state park camping where we don't have access to water hoses and we were wondering how we would do this.

The only other concern I have at this point is the uncomfortable jerking we feel while towing from time to time. I now know this is refered to as chucking.

I'll will report more on that problem in another posting and will also share other topics as we think of them.

Thanks for reading.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #2

SimchaSabre,

Glad to hear you like the overall style and feel of your Sabre. Sorry to hear about the '15 & counting' issues you have noticed. We're doing the PDI on our 34REQS-6 Thursday and I'll be certain to check out the 3 you mentioned. Care to share the other things you noticed? PM me if you feel more comfortable doing it that way.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #3

Glad you like your rig. I'm picking up my 2013 Sabre 34 REQS-6 on Thursday, and going through the PDI. I'll keep an eye out for those issues as well. Good luck with your Sabre.
Soxfan1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #4

Since, the 34 REQS shares the same bathroom as our floorplan, I will pass on a shower issue that I forgot about.

1st of all the new 30" X 50" is great, especially for the more "generously sized " rv-er, but check for shower door leaks before your first outing. We did and this is what we found:

The tri-panel shower door frame sits on a plastic molded base. There is a little corner fillet between the showr base and door frame that should be filled with silcone caulk. In our case left side was filled but not the right.

Within seconds of the water being turned on for the first time, a pretty solid stream began to flow out from the lower right shower door corner near the sink.

Since we were planning on leaving for our first weekend trip, I just squeezed a little silicone in the space provided and the problem was solved. It didn't make the list because it was already fixed. However, I will report it to the dealer just the same so they get the feedback back to Sabre.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

The "chucking" is characteristic of fivers. Our Sabre did the same thing, though it improved after installing the Equa Flex suspension.
I ordered a Trail Aire Rota Flex pin box on our Columbus and I can't believe the difference it made.
If you want more information, click here:
Pin Boxes
Best of luck with your new Sabre, you're going to love it.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
jsk

Glad you like the layout. The shower is a big plus for those of us who need it. It is also good to have a delaer that will work with you. We have been told to keep using ours.
Anyway, the shower may be a design flaw as we have the same probelm with water leaking on the sink end of the shower. A little silicone should fix it.
Something else you may or may need to ask about if you have gutters. The awning gutter that is closest to the rear drains water on top of the slide when it is out. I prefer the water to go straight to the ground and not over the slideout. Your dealer may have a suggestion if this is the case.
Our problems have been minor and we are very pleased. Enjoy the unit.
jsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #7

AMXPRESS,

Thanks for the Pinbox info. We do have the equflex suspension so I don't know how much worse it might be without it.

Which pin box upgrade do you recomend. I wish I could try one out before buying. Could be an expensive trial and error experiment. I will ask the dealer about that. Worth a shot anyway
Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #8

JSK,

We observed the same down spout issue, except in our case, the dripping water fills up the slide out awning. We've had ours out twice now and we had major rain both times. So far no other water issues.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #9

Features list mentions 'Flexible 4" rain spouts'. Guess they're not really flexible. There's a mod here waiting to happen .
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

I split 4" lengths of pvc 3/4" pipe lengthwise and riveted them to the existing gutter extensions.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #11

Pics of the gutter extension ?
jiggerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Here you go. Not very clear, but you can get the idea. A little rounding and deburring the pvc and they work like a charm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extra extension for gutter extension.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	12322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear view of extra extension for gutter extension.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	12323  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #13

Great !!
jiggerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #14

Great idea and thanks for the pics! Looks like it'll be one of the first mods to my 34REQS-6.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #15

Had a couple of small problems that the dealer cleared up. The one thing we didn't like on our 2014 Sabre 32 RCTS-6 was the way the bathroom door opened toward the steps down to the galley. Always felt like we were going to fall down the steps backwards.
So, I had the dealer change the door so it opened toward the bedroom on the landing. Much much better. It only cost me an hour of labor.
We love the unit and our first trip will be to Reno from North of Seattle on April 29th for a military reunion. Can't wait.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 Palomino Sabre 32 RCTS-6 Platinum Edition.
2002 Ford F350 SD 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel.
tugger50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:42 AM   #16

I'm not a frequent poster but love to read the stories and absorb the info her. As for the shower doors in the Sabre, I was worried of water leaking and went ahead and ran a bead of silicone around everything in the bathroom. The toilet, the walls and sink cabinet. My idea was block any moisture from getting under Lino. Only time I had a dealer winterize my rv's was 2012, and the toilet valve cracked spring of 2013. The silicone did it's job.
buddy300 is offline   Reply With Quote