Old 07-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #1

Roof Disintegration

Hi Everyone. This is seemingly a unique to Sabre issue. Bought the unit (5th Wheel) new in 2014. Leave it in AZ year round. As of this past March I have discovered that the roof is disintegrating. This was the first time the issue was noticed. No problem as of March 2018. Talked to a repair shop and they said that they have seen several Sabres with this problem. Our neighbours have a similar unit (2014) and their roof is looking the same way. Other friends have left their rigs ini AZ for over 10 years; no damage. Have not contacted Forest River yet, I wanted to see if others had experienced this problem.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1630.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	209307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1631.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	209308  

5Wheel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #2

Wow. We had a 2013 Sabre for 6 years on a seasonal site and our roof never looked anything like that. I did wash it twice a year followed by an UV protectant. Wonder if has anything to do with the Arizona sun.

Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #3

The repair shop I spoke with indicated that there might have been a bad batch of roof material. They also had heard that Forest River had been experimenting with a different type of material.

The sun is hot, but no other rigs in the park show damage.
5Wheel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
clr

Well given the age of your unit I doubt that Forest River will do any thing about this, but you never can tell I suppose. I would talk to the maker of the roof material they normally warrant the roof material for 10 years. So that may be part of the answer.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Well given the age of your unit I doubt that Forest River will do any thing about this, but you never can tell I suppose. I would talk to the maker of the roof material they normally warrant the roof material for 10 years. So that may be part of the answer.
This right here. My 2018 has a 10 year warranty on the roof material (if it was installed properly - hopefully they got that right). If you have that same warranty, I'd definitely contact the roofing manufacturer. Be prepared to show documented proof of proper maintenance according to their manuals however.
senseiallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #6
JEG

My first question would be if you'd ever treated the roof during the 5 years it was subjected to the Arizona elements? I treat my roof at least 3 times a year with Dicor protectant, and haven't had the problems you've experienced. My rig is subjected to the Florida heat/sun...so that might be the difference.

JEG is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof