Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Sabre 320 RETS

Anybody have one or any of the other Sabre TTs? We are giving this trailer some serious considerations and would love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly or the wonderful, positive and fantastic. . This is not our first TT and I do know any brand can make a great TT or a lemon but want to see which way these tend to go. Thanks.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
Always Learning

I think that very few Sabres are TTs- I think the overwhelming majority are fifth wheels. In fact, when I was at the factory - of the 30 or 40 units being built, none were TTs.

Personally, I'm a huge advocate for the brand even after a botched factory return. On the flip side, there is also a "Mad Momma" thread where that family has had an awful lemon experience.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think that very few Sabres are TTs- I think the overwhelming majority are fifth wheels. In fact, when I was at the factory - of the 30 or 40 units being built, none were TTs.

Personally, I'm a huge advocate for the brand even after a botched factory return. On the flip side, there is also a "Mad Momma" thread where that family has had an awful lemon experience.
I agree with ependydad. No matter what trailer or manufacture, it always seem that one will get by. I know alot of Saber owners who love them, and then there are some that do have trouble. If you like the layout and love it buy it and go camping. by the way I have never seen a tote saber but i could be wrong it wouldn't be the first time. (did you mean 5th wheel?) what is the model Saber are you looking at that might help with you getting some return info...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #4

Thats the TT I was going to buy. My wife and I really liked it when we looked at the dealer photo's on the web. However once we saw it in person I was not impressed with the quality. It just wasn't for us. We ended up buying the Sabre 33ckts. I think since sabre dosn't really go after the TT market their units are lacking. The couple we travel with have a puma and its really nice.
bignugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I agree with ependydad. No matter what trailer or manufacture, it always seem that one will get by. I know alot of Saber owners who love them, and then there are some that do have trouble. If you like the layout and love it buy it and go camping. by the way I have never seen a tote saber but i could be wrong it wouldn't be the first time. (did you mean 5th wheel?) what is the model Saber are you looking at that might help with you getting some return info...
Yes it is a tt. It is a 320 RETS as the title implies.

We are in love with the 34REQS and 33 RETS 5ers but they are out of our price range and the new truck will be a gasser 1 ton (diesel is too high also). I truly think those are 1 ton diesel territory. I don't want to price myself out of being able to use the unit.

I agree all manufacturers have good and bad, am glad to hear more positive than neg though. Ependydad what happened with factory return? Is forest river/palomino difficult to deal with on warranty issues?
Old 03-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #6

One thing I really didn't like was there was no storage. I'm not sure if you have seen one in person yet.
bignugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We actually looked at some sabre tt's and thought they we're well designed and actually thought they were better then the flagstaff we we're coming out of.
But in the end the price point and square footage for the sabre 5th wheel was a better fit for us.

TURBS

Think spring!
The last man standing also has a sharpie
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
Always Learning

The biggest issue with the factory return was a lack of communication our of the factory as to when my unit would be picked up, how long it would be there and when it would be back. Not Sabre's fault, but the transport company was completely unprepared to deal with a pickup/dropoff at someone's house. The coup de gras was a mix up in serial numbers and my unit was sent back before it was finished. To say I popped my gourd is an understatement.

BUT- Sabre has since taken care of me and I had some great discussions with the warranty manager as to what customers would like from a factory return process and level of communication. In my talks with him, it doesn't sound like they'll be able to "get better" immediately, but they're moving in the right direction by bringing in some extra help and properly prioritizing warranty work.

I found Gary and SabreSam (here on FRF) to be helpful and assets figuring all of this out.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ok thanks. We still have to list our current tt for sale so how much of a hit we take there has a lot of bearing on when/what we do.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Well, we went to see it yesterday and absolutely love this tt. We sat in it for a good 30 min figuring out where we would put things and decided that everything we currently have would have a home.

Now we need to revisit the TV. Upon closer exam my class V hitch is only rated to 1250 lbs. I'm willing to bet loaded this tt will have a tongue weight closer to 1500 lbs knowing that I will probably load it to somewhere around 10,300 lbs (based on what is currently in my tt). And of course most of the storage is forward of the axles. We are looking at the Silverado 3500 gasser (sadly diesel is out of my price range). I can't find what the hitch is rated for though and no dealerships near me have this truck in stock for me to look at. Anyone have one that can answer this? I know the 2500 is not rated high enough even with diesel and i know the 3500 diesel is rated high enough but I don't know about the 3500 gasser. Or what about dodge gasser... no longer a Ford fan after many mechanical issues with current TV. Thanks
Old 03-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #11
Always Learning

I think you're right with the possible tongue weights on that. I was playing with its numbers with my tongue weight estimator a bit:
Estimating Tongue/Pin Weight from Dry Weights - Towing Planner
Old 03-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #12

I realize this thread is a year old but wanted to weigh in if someone else is searching. We own a Sabre TT and love it. The quality and floorplan is superior to most everything we looked at. Ours is the 31RLDS and has a dry ship weight of 8,000 lbs and over 11,000 lbs GVWR. In other words, it's rather heavy. I've had no trouble towing it with my Cummins powered '06 Ram 2500 or my '13 Ram 2500, both with factory hitches.
That said, I will never ever, ever, ever tow it on the highway again without the Reece Dual Cam sway control!!! Once was enough!

Tags
sabre