Old 05-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #1

Sabre 35QSIK Questions

Hey All,
New on this forum and new Sabre RV owner! After owning a few tow behinds we finally made the jump to a FW and selected the 2014 Sabre 35QSIK deciding it was the perfect unit for our little family (7month and 4 year old).

I have two questions, I know the 2015's come with LED's under the awning, my next step is to install a set on my 2014, where is the best place to draw power for the cleanest installation possible? Is the power to the power awning a viable option? Otherwise, where would be the best option?

Secondly, my Sabre is the beige/brown color, is there a caulking/silicone code that would work best to color match? I would like to re-do some areas and also, if I have to drill into the FW to get the LED's wired, then I would like to have the proper color to fix everything~

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

The poet to the awning is no good- it only had power to it while you're actively opening or closing the awning.

For my LED install, I went inside where the awning power came through the camper wall and then fished a line to the basement. I'm going to tap into the wiring for a light fixture.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, how hard is it to fish a line between the walls? And does accessing the area where the power for the awning comes through involve removing/loosening the awning? Sorry for the multiple questions, FW is sitting on our site 90 minutes away but I am trying get my plan of attack ready for the weekend! lol
Old 05-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

I think fishing a line in the wall is going to be pretty close to impossible. You can see the construction of Sabres here:
Learn To RV: Palomino Sabre Factory Tour Photos

Specifically, here is the wall- it's aluminum framed with insulation filling the voids:

With your awning deployed- at the bottom of the post on the wall is a plastic cover that is pressure fit into place. When you lift that up, towards the bottom you'll see a big glob of caulk filling a hole through the wall where the power wires go through.

I pulled that and was able to find the corresponding spot inside where it was (very close to the floor/door of the front bedroom). Because I have the washer/dryer hookups in the front closet, there is a raised part of the floor for the drain pipe. That is open on the end that mates up against the dresser in the front bedroom.

I was able to push my new wire through that hole with a loop at the end, then I used a piece of stronger wire to fashion a hook and was able to grab it and pull it. Using that same raised area, I was able to fish it down into the basement storage.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #5

Perfect, I will have a look when I get down there on Friday! I also have the washer/dryer so should be pretty similar, I thinkt he 36QBOk and 35QSIK have the same front bedroom or at least very similar!

One last questions, the LED's dont come with a very long wire, what can be used to extend the wire? I read some people online using telephone wire?? What is the best option?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

The box that I'm describing is what the front bedroom door hits when you open it the whole way.

No idea on extending the wire. I haven't actually hooked my lights up yet.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

There is always this big momma thread with 1,000 posts about awning LEDs:
My solution to awning lights
Old 05-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #8

I was trying to avoid the huge threads!!! ahahah! I know what box you speak of! I will check it out on friday and I am sure I will figure it out pretty quickly!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #9

Hey Sebber,

Congrats on the QSIK, we got ours in March and absolutely love it, not many of us on here so cool to meet other QSIK owners. Ours came with the awning lights installed and wired to a switch just as you walk in on the wall by the stairs. Thought it came as standard stuff. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do. Welcome

Rob and Sonya
Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #10

Thanks Rob and Sonya!

I actually spoke to a gentleman from Sabre via e-mail and he explained that early 2014's did not have the LED's, later models did. I installed mine last weekend and I am pretty happy with the results, I put a set under the awning, a set in the outdoor kitchen and a set under the front slide, I put them all on one remote and I can change to about 16 colours and make them do special effect, pretty cool and less than an hour of work!

I also inquired because the brochure said a 17 foot awning but mine has a 20 foot awning, he had no answer for that one so i am curious, how long is your awning?

Tags
sabre