Originally Posted by Pirates55
I've decided to send the camper back in September. I will keep you posted. I hope to talk with the warranty guy at Sabre before sending it to them to get a time line on the repairs.
That was the very biggest thing that I worked on/talked with Gary when mine went back and turned into the debacle that it was. The length of time was immaterial, it was getting a schedule and being able to realistically live up to it. It wasn't until my whole factory return went nuclear were we able to hammer out a day-by-day schedule and they hit it.
I'm hopeful that they're better able to give estimates on pickup time, fix time, and return/delivery time.
I strongly suggest you winterize it yourself before sending it back. I think it would also be prudent to turn off the electric side to the water heater at the water heater itself (in addition to inside).
I agree with Youroo that once it is back in your possession that you take it to a truck wash to rinse the undercarraige and clean it up well. I didn't.
Gary and Sabre are good people. They'll take care of you!