Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Trailair Pin Box from Santa

eTrailer.com has expanded their offerings for pin box upgrades with the 16K Trailair pin box. Previously I could only find 18-24K boxes.

Suprisingly I ordered on Tuesday (after Christmas) and the freight company called the next day (Wednesday) to schedule delivery on Thursday. WOW, that's really quick shipping. I don't even have the old box off yet.

172 pounds weight, free of shipping charges and two day delivery. Gotta remove the flag mount, bubble level and emergency break-away in preparation for the new arrival.

GVWR on my Silhouette is 11,891. Ran the entire rig across the CAT scales fully loaded for camping, empty black & gray tanks, 10 gallons in the fresh water tank and full fuel. With the 1999 F250 diesel crew cab long bed attached to the 299RKDS ...

Steer Axle 4100 lbs
Drive Axle 5460 lbs
Trailer Axle 7600 lbs
Gross Weight 17,160 lbs

Next project.....wet bolt shackle upgrade!

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
Always Learning

Cool! Post back how you like it once you tow with it for a while.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #3

This new Trailair pin box is HEAVY! Got the old one off yesterday and boy is it weak....thin metal all around and less than 80 pounds. Apparently it was installed prior to frame painting so that the mating surfaces are rusted. Gotta wait for decent painting weather then put this 172 pound monster pin box in place, but since family have gone home after the holidays I'll rig a wood pallet jig in the back of the John Deere Gator to lift it into place. Work smart not hard!

Old 01-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #4

SilhouettePenny....
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

You will LOVE the TrailAir pin box !!

I have the Tri-Glide model and it made a world of difference.
No more chucking or jolting from road bumps or dips.

You have probably mounted it by now, but I will give a few tips for any others installing a 'heavy pinbox' here.

With the TrailAir in the back of my pick-up and without any additional help I was able to tip it so I could slide the king-pin into the 5th wheel receiver.
Blocks of wood and a jack was required to get it up to a close position to where it would be ready to back up to the trailer.
Try to get close as possible to 'inline' then lower the trailer (via landing gear) to a point you can jack the pinbox up to the mounting holes.
It may take a little work to get everything lined up but once you have 2 bolts in (loosely) it will be easy to install the rest.

The Pin box increased my OA height by about 3 inches but now I have lowered my hitch (in the truck bed) and still have room to go lower if needed. Also I have room to raise the pinbox one more hole if I want.
The clearance between truck bed rail and underside of 5th wheel is approx. 10 inches. I like the extra clearance for access , But most of all I really notice the movement "bounce" from the air bag (underway via rearview mirror) on the pinbox lower jaw.
I think good clearance at this point is necessary. IMO

I now carry a small 12volt compressor in the front storage compartment with a coiled-extendable air hose for filling the pinbox Air-bag.
If you have a dually then ....A tire inflater with a gage combination (air hose locks onto valve stem) is really helpful for filling the air-bag, mainly because it is hard to reach the air-bag valve stem with flared fenders.
You can go by the 'arrow' on the pinbox , as per the manufactures requirements, but as other owners of the TrailAir Pinbox have written, You will find what works best for your unit. I do find, so far, that the 'arrow tip' is a good fill point for my rig. However, still experimenting.
I let out all the air from the Air-bag when I lay up my rig for a long time.

So far this has been the Best improvement for traveling any road.
The TrailAir gives a smooth ride for driver and passenger over those long otherwise fatiguing - jerking - rough passages.

I have noted this before in other posts... but will reiterate it here... I tested the 'interior ride' of the trailer to see if it calmed it down inside at all .
I did this by placing some 'loose items' around the inside. Things like a plastic bowl on top of the counter, a tie down strap on the table, a footstool placed in the middle of the floor, etc.
After a 1 1/2 hr trip, on a winding bumpy country road I checked out the 'test items' to see what happened.
Every item was still 'in place', if they moved it was only fractional, nothing fell off the table or counters..... I was "impressed" !

Another benefit that I hope to draw from the TrailAir is less stress on the trailer frame and truck suspension. I am confident it will be so.

Other additional improvements to the trailer suspension would certainly help as well, but in my case economics come into play.

hope this helps

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #5

Islander.....

Thanks for the information sir. The install did indeed take two scissor jacks and the original wood pallet it came shipped on. Could not use the truck as I had already started an interior insulation / radiant heat barrier upgrade. Still don't have that project completed, however I did get the Trailair installed, sorta. Didn't realize how much taller the rear portion of the pox was so when I lifted it in to place I cut the emergency brake wires.

Anxious to check the OA height but now you have sent us British Columbia weather in the teens and the test drive will just have to wait.

Shocks on the 5th wheel helped a little but my hopes are high with this air bag/rebound shock absorber Trailair, especially with your endorsement.

A dually is certainly in the planning phase but for now an air tank and tire chuck should get the job done.

Now I've got to fabricate a bracket to reinstall the 12" level and flag mount. Come on summer!

Old 01-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #6

Post TrailAir pin box install report....

The chucking and jolting is noticeably reduced. I spent more time looking back to watch the shock absorber bounce, especially after lowering the pressure slightly below the arrows on the return 30 mile test trip. Probably don't need max PSI on a 16K rated pin box with a 10K trailer in tow.

Was able to install 4 additional bolts (12 total now) because of the way it lined up. Found a 9" air valve extension on Amazon so I can move the air valve to a more convenient location. Reducing the air pressure helps when hooking up.

Overall height only raised the camper up 1 inch, so no adjustment in the bed/hitch is necessary. I hope my 9 gallon air tank will be sufficient for air bag inflation.

I also tested the interior (5th Wheel) ride by placing items around the coach prior to the road test. Impressive results.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:57 PM   #7

Well... that is great News !!!

Sounds like it was money well spent.

I too was fascinated with the 'action' in the rearview mirror.

On my first outing with the TrailAir I was conservative on the air pressure so I went with a recommended pressure from other TrailAir owners of around 65 - 75lbs.
This put the marks at just below the 'arrow point' on the shock.

Then on my return trip I hit a spot where a bridge met the highway (at highway speed) and it proved to be quite a dip...it did bottom out with some thump... but was nothing like pre-TrailAir pin-box.
The unit does have protection should the air bag fail so it is safe to run without air.

I really think it is a individual set-up and pressure setting for each unit.

Does your TrailAir have the 3 rollers - Tri-Glide ? If this one I have a tip.
Or the pivot pin style?

Re the 'air tank'...that should do the trick for you , just that you may have to top it up if you use it much.

I preferred to add a 12 volt outlet in the front storage and use a small 12 volt compressor for the air-bag and I can top up my tires whenever I want with a hose. I added the quick release connections to hose ends makes it easy to use a short hose or long one.

Good Luck and Enjoy

Islander
Old 01-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #8

I do not have the 3 rollers (Tri-Glide). Agree with the money well spent comment and it's nice to know I can tow should the air bag fail, thanks for all your input. 850 mile (one way) road test starts 8 February .

Old 01-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #9

SilhouettePenny...

I posted a lengthy message earlier... but the site still seems to be having issues because it didn't stick.

I shall try again here.

The tip I have re the TriGlide was to install some thin hard rubber where the pin plate, the part that moves, bumps against the lower jaw.
You will have to feel up inside to determine exactly where to place the rubber.
I used some 1/8" thick sticky-back hard rubber, 1 1/4" wide flat strip.
The purpose is to stop a metallic clunk when starting off up a slope or stopping down a slope. It "seldom" happens ..but without the rubber it does get your attention.
Hopefully you do this before you grease the rollers.

Grease: You probably know this, the rollers require grease to dampen the movement of the rollers to cushion the action of the bottom pin plate.
These grease zerks are up inside on the middle of the roller tubes.
They have to be maintained to 'full'.. but use caution as they will overflow leaving gobs laying inside the lower jaw area...messy!

I made a full weather cover for the whole pin-box to use during off season.
I also cover the air-bag while camping to protect it from the sun UV .

Just like you did... I added the 4 extra bolts as well.

hope this helps

Islander
Old 01-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #10

Sorry.... I miss read your post.
I thought you had the TriGlide

Sorry

Islander
Old 01-19-2016, 11:24 PM   #11

No problem sir...it's all good information.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #12

After an unexpected 3800 mile round trip, (including 7 states) I can honestly report a very positive opinion of the Trailair air bag & shock absorber 5th wheel pin box. 65-70 pounds in the air bag gives the best ride with the indicator just below the arrows on the lable. The photo shows an additional bracket fabricated to support the bubble level, flag mount and air valve relocation for easy access. This pin box upgrade allows longer hours on the road without fatigue and will certainly relieve stress on the camper frame and TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457018168529.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	100984  

Old 03-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Cool! Post back how you like it once you tow with it for a while.
Absolutely love it....won't tow without one again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457018410081.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	100985  

Old 03-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #14

SilhouettePenny.....

I was happy to read your post and positive report on the 'Trailair air bag & shock absorber 5th wheel pin box'.
I told you that you would 'love it' .

May I ask why your trip of 3800 miles was 'unexpected' ?

Was it because with the new 'pin-box' you were totally unaware of how many miles you were putting on?

I'm heading out for a month mid April and also looking forward to towing in comfort....again.
Only a short haul (2 hrs) to our favorite Island getaway....but we enjoy it a great deal.

keep posting and enjoy
Islander