Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #61
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
But be prepared to eat all your perishable food first or go home early if you get a couple of overcast days in a row.

Not knocking solar. Just thinking about its limitations.
Solar does have limitations. But don't forget in motor home you can also just fire up the generator to recharge the batteries when the sun doesn't cooperate.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #62

This is probably a finished discussion but decided to pipe up anyway. I just bought a 2020 with the magic chef but I was OK with the 12V choice. It made sense for us. The only time we went on propane before was when we were driving and we live in Florida. We only "dry camp" when forced to because we can't get a space with hookups somewhere. It doesn't happen very often. Regardless, I've ordered a power cutoff switch to put in to have control. IT doesn't appear to be a very challenging mod but I was wondering if anyone has done it. Sometimes the easiest things can get difficult if something is overlooked. If not, I'll take some pics when my switch gets here.
Yertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:39 AM   #63

Cutoff switch

What is the power cutoff for? Doesn’t the refrigerator have an off switch on it? I went the reverse route and ran a separate line to the fridge so it could stay on with everything else shut off. The idle/parasitic loads will drain a my battery in days with everything off. I have a trailer however and use an Engle fridge with the sawafuji swing compressor which draws 2.5 amps when it’s working hard.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:36 AM   #64

That's the problem with the Fridge. There is no way to turn it off except pull the fuse. I guess I am just cheap as I don't like running it empty when I have it parked at home for weeks on shore power. It has a solar panel but it's under an awning at home. I guess it just bugs me that there is no provision to turn it off.
Yertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #65

Just don't forget...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yertle View Post
This is probably a finished discussion but decided to pipe up anyway. I just bought a 2020 with the magic chef but I was OK with the 12V choice. It made sense for us. The only time we went on propane before was when we were driving and we live in Florida. We only "dry camp" when forced to because we can't get a space with hookups somewhere. It doesn't happen very often. Regardless, I've ordered a power cutoff switch to put in to have control. IT doesn't appear to be a very challenging mod but I was wondering if anyone has done it. Sometimes the easiest things can get difficult if something is overlooked. If not, I'll take some pics when my switch gets here.
Just don't forget to leave the fridge door open when it's not running, so a smell doesn't develop inside. Okay to close it when you are moving, of course.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:54 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Are you sure he's got a Magic Chef RV refrigerator? I've poked around the net for a while and can find no sign of such a unit, let alone a 12-volt only version. Magic Chef does seem to have small (dorm type) 120-volt units. I did find a couple of 12-volt only units, including this new one from Furrion:
https://rv-pro.com/news/furrion-unve...v-refrigerator
Anyway, it might help to know exactly what model refrigerator he's got...

Dave

Forest River is using Magic Chef refrigerators 12V only WD-282FWDC MFR NO; BCD280WEV804F Serial MC1911010350 on the unit I'm currently looking at DC12V current rate 11A.
This why they now have there solaronboard opition and the now use PD9260C – 60 Amp RV Converter/Charger a 4 stage charger converter with charge wizard by Progressive Dynamics, Inc.

Ower are saying even with the 100W solar the most they have seen is 18 to 24 hours of battery life when off-grid/dry-camping Forest River is saying you should be good for a day and 1/2.

Now what is strange is there is Everchill model out there with the same WD-282FWDC number on it The Everchill Model Number: WD-282FWDC/BCD280WEV804F and Everchill offer an optional. 120W solar panel designed for the 12V EverChill refrigerator. So if everchill is selling a 120 w to for theirs why did FR only put a 100w panel on their units. https://rvcampingparts.com/products/wd-282fwdc
ncatva500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:03 AM   #67

On our Everchill 12V in our 2021 Salem 28FKV all you have to do is press and hold the temperature select button for a few seconds and the refrigerator shuts off.
RWolf81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:26 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankH35 View Post
I have one of these in my Wildwood 19DBXL. Some of the newer versions of this fridge come with an actual on/off switch on the side of the unit itself. Mine does not have this. I wish it did. I've found that it is absolutely crucial that you engage the battery disconnect immediately when your trailer is not in use--even if only for a day or so. Otherwise it will drain your battery. They claim it only uses 3 amps once it's down to temp but I am not taking any chances.
Hi since it’s been a few months since you posted this, I’m wondering what your experience was with your 12 V fridge? Do you know the amps it actually ran once it was at temperature? We just got a brand new ROCKWOOD, with a 12 V magic chef 10.1 fridge. Immediately we noticed the battery was draining every day, even with a 190 solar panel and inverter. We had the batteries checked And they were all good. And they were good. If you could let me know in general how your 12 V fridge has worked for you I would really appreciate it.
Tracy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:47 AM   #69

Would love to know where u found that info

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Hmm, we've had a few motor homes and trailers so I don't think I'm a first timer...

After the Magic Chef / Ever Chill unit initially cools it only needs 3 Amps to maintain temperature not 11 Amps as a constant draw. Even the basic 100W FR solar setup on our 2400Q should be able to keep the batteries charged.

I prefer the 12VDC only as it gets rid of the antiquated absorption fridge and all the issues that go with it. We've had 3 Way refrigerators before and always ran them on 12VDC whenever possible.

But how well it works will be based on how you use your RV. Since we don't boon dock I don't see any down side. And the DW is happy to have a 10.7 CF unit instead of the smaller units we have had before.
I appreciate your clarification regarding the actual amps the magic chef pulls Once it’s at temp. I know this is an older post and maybe you won’t see this, but we just picked up a new 2021 Rockwood with the magic chef 10cb³ 12 V fridge, and the battery drains every day. Even with a 190 solar, which also appears to not be working quite right. Where did you find your info regarding the three amps? It has been impossible to find any information about the magic chef, and our dealership knows hardly anything about it.
Tracy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #70

I suspect your reading of the specs is a bit off. Have been unable to find much in writing from the factory. “Bob or Josh says” does not work for me

They installed the fridge in a walk in refrigerator that maintains 70 degrees at all times. Really a small room. Not in your rv. My temp in our fifth wheel this summer when we pulled into a campsite in Michigan was 106 degrees, not ,70. My guess is the four hour trip would consume one battery easily.

They followed the instructions in the installation manual and there is 4” of space around all sides and the back. Makes a difference.

The fridge was never opened. Voltage over 12.2 volts.

It was full. It was prechilled. It was never moved. My guess would be double that 3 amps per hour. Over 100 per day.

Theoretically a 100 watt solar panel can generate about 50 amps to recharge your battery when tested in Central America(near the equator)when aimed every 10 minutes at the sun. Flat on your roof in Ohio, max is 25 amps. Most days less. Stay away from trees.

Many posters here report less than ideal results.

Best investment is a good battery monitor. Information. Then start buying stuff.

Batteries continue to be the problem. I would like 4 lithium but, the $4500 price tag is an issue. 6 solar panels would be good too.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:01 PM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Jo View Post
Where did you find your info regarding the three amps? It has been impossible to find any information about the magic chef, and our dealership knows hardly anything about it.
I found the info on etrailers website. See Here
Old 09-04-2020, 08:30 PM   #72

Hi All,

Everyone seems to say these are everchill fridges yet mine says Magic Chef. The dial controls are not what is inside mine I have digital control inside fridge (5 settings with NO off). I found the exact fridge on Rec-Pro website with identical controls... and the tech specs say 7 amps at startup and 1 amp once st temp. According to my Victron battery monitor this is just about what mine consumes
https://www.recpro.com/rv-refrigerat...ainless-steel/

Brian
papagyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolf81 View Post
On our Everchill 12V in our 2021 Salem 28FKV all you have to do is press and hold the temperature select button for a few seconds and the refrigerator shuts off.
I tried this the other day on the Magic Chef and it went through a series of on off but then stayed on at the end too bad.
Stewardorng2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:40 PM   #74

I have a new 2021 Forest River Vibe 26RK and it came with the Everchill 12v fridge. Not sure about the earlier models of this fridge but mine will turn off if you hold down the temperature control button for 10-12 seconds. But if you turn the power off then back on again the fridge turns on automatically.
Crew Cab Long Bed
Z71 Duramax Diesel
TC of NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:09 PM   #75

Forest River has a video about how to turn off the Everchill/Cannon/Magic Chef fridge. They are all the same model and same manufacturer, they just change the brand name and badging. Take a photo of your label, you'll notice they are exactly the same.

Youtube about Everchill power down process: https://youtu.be/xeEvLXW6E5o
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:24 PM   #76

Cannon label from a 2020 Wolf Pup 16BHSClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201003_100148172.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	243017
Old 11-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #77

Magic Chef from another 12v Fridge question/complain post:Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201113-222739.jpeg
Views:	376
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	243018
Old 11-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #78

Makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC of NC View Post
I have a new 2021 Forest River Vibe 26RK and it came with the Everchill 12v fridge. Not sure about the earlier models of this fridge but mine will turn off if you hold down the temperature control button for 10-12 seconds. But if you turn the power off then back on again the fridge turns on automatically.
That behavior makes sense. Since these are driven directly from the battery, the power will only go "off" accidentally if the battery is drained.

If you did drain the battery and then apply shore power/generator/charger, it would be desirable to have the fridge always start in "on" mode to save your food. You might not remember to turn it on when you discover drained batteries.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #79

Ours came with a 2020 PUMA. The temp adjust button inside the fridge... push and hold for a few seconds and the unit shuts off. Ours is not labeled magic chef.. Grey Stone instead. Never leave the truck connected to the trailer else this fridge will drain the trucks battery quick. As info
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #80
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplewon View Post
Ours came with a 2020 PUMA. The temp adjust button inside the fridge... push and hold for a few seconds and the unit shuts off. Ours is not labeled magic chef.. Grey Stone instead. Never leave the truck connected to the trailer else this fridge will drain the trucks battery quick. As info
Not all trucks are created equally.
My Ford disconnects the truck battery through the 7 pin connector via a relay when shut off.

Leaving the 7 pin connector connected is not an issue.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote