Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #21

I use the Rotella T6. When I got my '17 6.7 (Ford), they had a bulletin that the oil had to meet such and such a spec. They didn't care what brand you used, just had to meet the spec. Rotella had a newer oil, but it had not yet been approved for that spec, but the T6 had.

Other may disagree, but I have always lived by this:

1. Use one oil and stick with it. You like Castrol Full Synthetic (which I use on my cars) fine. Once you start using Castrol don't change to Mobil 1.

2. DO NOT BUY ANY FRAM FILTERS!!! They are absolute garbage. I only use OEM oil filters. Watch some of the you tube videos comparing oil filters, you'll see what I mean.
xd40c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #22

Do you own an MBS Sprinter?

If not, then your comments pertaining to what oil you use probably are not applicable.

The MBS 3.0 TDI is a unique animal and has a specific set of fluid requirements - much different from the Cummins, PowerStroke and Duramax diesels.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd40c View Post
Other may disagree, but I have always lived by this:

1. Use one oil and stick with it. You like Castrol Full Synthetic (which I use on my cars) fine. Once you start using Castrol don't change to Mobil 1.
LOL...why?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #24

I get my Mobil 1 ESP X1 0W30 at Napa when they run the sales. They might not have it in stock, but will order it for you and usually arrives next day. The Mann oil filter from Advance auto, approx. $8.00 dollars. Usually order as well for next day pickup. I keep enough oil and a filter on hand for my next change. If oil change will become do during a trip I change the oil before departing.

My RV is on a 2013 chassis with 10,000 miles recommended oil change interval. I change mine every 8000 miles because I tow. Why change every 8000? Just me.

I have 50,000 miles on the unit and have yet to add oil between changes (I don't use bio20 fuel).

BTW, the Mahle, Mann, Car Quest (heavy duty) and Purolator (made in Germany) filters are identical. I use the Mann which is actually the cheapest of the lot, but not because it is the cheapest.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:17 AM   #25

"LOL...why?" (Not mix oils?)

Oil today contains about 20% additives , anti rust , anti foaming, detergents and lots more .

The fear is one brands additives will not be compatible with some others.

We use Mobil 1 as it is available everywhere .
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I get my Mobil 1 ESP X1 0W30 at Napa when they run the sales. They might not have it in stock, but will order it for you and usually arrives next day. The Mann oil filter from Advance auto, approx. $8.00 dollars. Usually order as well for next day pickup. I keep enough oil and a filter on hand for my next change. If oil change will become do during a trip I change the oil before departing.

My RV is on a 2013 chassis with 10,000 miles recommended oil change interval. I change mine every 8000 miles because I tow. Why change every 8000? Just me.

I have 50,000 miles on the unit and have yet to add oil between changes (I don't use bio20 fuel).

BTW, the Mahle, Mann, Car Quest (heavy duty) and Purolator (made in Germany) filters are identical. I use the Mann which is actually the cheapest of the lot, but not because it is the cheapest.

I actually got my Mobil 1 at NAPA for $5.99 per quart once, I also use Mann filters and change my oil at 10k vice 20K because of towing.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
"The fear is one brands additives will not be compatible with some others.

We use Mobil 1 as it is available everywhere .
And Mobil 1 says that is a myth right on their website! Yes...an unfounded fear!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #28

Check this article out. May provide you with some technical insight into this problem. The diesels are pretty much the same as far as regeneration goes and oil dilution ...good luck.

Mercedes-Benz & Sprinter OM642 BlueTec Diesel Issues/Problems | Stephens Service Center - Sacramento's Best Mercedes-Benz Service & Repairs
Coloradotsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradotsm54 View Post
Check this article out. May provide you with some technical insight into this problem. The diesels are pretty much the same as far as regeneration goes and oil dilution ...good luck.

Mercedes-Benz & Sprinter OM642 BlueTec Diesel Issues/Problems | Stephens Service Center - Sacramento's Best Mercedes-Benz Service & Repairs
I noticed in that article that he was trying to sell something. Might not have any bearing on what he is promoting and then again it might. True the emission systems are complex, but some of that can be mitigated by proper care and routine maintenance. I don't let mine idle for extended periods. The old diesels could handle that, but I don't think it's a good idea for the diesels of today.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradotsm54 View Post

I’ve seen this guy’s writing before and it’s always very negative and very alarmist. He is not credible. Here is one example:

“The traditional method for dealing with fuel dilution is with heavier viscosity oil. High viscosity 20W/50 or 10W/60 oil is a much better choice for fuel dilution. Mercedes has actually put this recommendation in their 2018 and 2019 Owner’s Booklet. However, they explain it in such a convoluted legalistic manner that it’s hard for the average owner to understand what Mercedes is saying. They say different oil viscosity is “urgently recommended” and “severe engine damage can result”. But they never tell owners exactly what oil they should use. You’re supposed to do your own research and figure out all of these technical terms. “

FALSE. MB tells owners exactly what oil to use in the manuals and in its web site, for example:

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...228.51_en.html or https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...229.51_en.html
Old 02-04-2019, 10:46 PM   #31

Sprinter Oil Change Kit

Here is a pretty good place to get an oil change kit:

https://www.sprinterpartsdepot.com/p...nt=33380574223
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:08 AM   #32

Or buy it on sale at NAPA for ~ $90.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Or buy it on sale at NAPA for ~ $90.
X2. NAPA has best price when they run their sales. Sales usually occur every few months and can be followed online. If they don't have the oil in stock they will order for next day pickup. I keep enough on hand for my next oil change.

Mann oil filters I get at ADVANCE Auto. Best price.