Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #1

1st Oil Change - What Oil Should I Use

I would like to do my first oil change on our Forester MBS 2401W and not sure what weight or brand to use. I have read by some that the Mercedes recommended 5W-30 is not ideal and it would be better to use a heavier viscosity to protect against oil dilution. Seems like 12 quarts synthetic is what I should use, but not sure if I can use something like Delos or Rotella, or something else.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
CarolinaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #2

Use what manuf. recommends.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #3

open your owners manual or look online for your make and model.

Here's what I found

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t=All%20Produc

Personally, I would use any 5-30 full synthetic on sale but that's just me.

I use rotilla T-6 in my Honda motorcycle.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
open your owners manual or look online for your make and model.

Here's what I found

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t=All%20Produc

Personally, I would use any 5-30 full synthetic on sale but that's just me.

I use rotilla T-6 in my Honda motorcycle.

No, I believe that MB requires a special engine oil that meets their spec's just like my wife's VW TDI requires. See your owners manual for the oil spec's!

You can use whatever oil you like but if the engine decides to pack it in than don't blame MB for your fault.

Why try and save a penny after spending what you did for your motorhome by not using the recommended engine oil that MB requires.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:30 PM   #5

You'll need to find the Mercedes Benz oil specification number - it depends on the year and might be found in the owner's manual or somewhere near the oil fill on the engine. It should be a number like "229.51". Once you've got the number you can head on over to this web site:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...229.51_en.html
The site includes a table of all of the Mercedes approved engine oils based on the specification number.

Other owners have been using Mobil One ESP oils, which sometimes go on sale at Napa and other auto parts stores...just make sure you get an approved oil...and keep a record of your purchase.

Also, you might check with a local Mercedes dealer...they sometimes have a not-outrageous price on an approved oil.

Dave
Old 01-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #6

My advice if you want to do it yourself is to use the proper oil listed in your manual. Mine is s
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #7

Just be very careful to use only MBZ approved oil AND filter. Mine is a synthetic oil. I learned my lesson the hard way when a rv dealership offered to give me my first oil change when I was there doing some warranty repairs. They used an aftermarket filter which ended up blowing all my oil all over my engine, sides of rv and the undercarriage. I was just heading out on an extended trip and had only gotten five miles from home when it blew. I had to wait a month for a new engine to be shipped from Germany and installed, along with a new starter. This mistake set the rv dealership back over $20,000. ( They said they had their BEST mechanic do my service ��.)
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlue View Post
I would like to do my first oil change on our Forester MBS 2401W and not sure what weight or brand to use. I have read by some that the Mercedes recommended 5W-30 is not ideal and it would be better to use a heavier viscosity to protect against oil dilution. Seems like 12 quarts synthetic is what I should use, but not sure if I can use something like Delos or Rotella, or something else.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP (Available on Amazon, I found it on sale at NAPA but can be difficult to find the ESP sometimes) This is the oil my MB dealer uses. I do the oil and filter changes now and it is very easy. Takes just under 13 qts. Will need a oil filter case wrench to remove the filter cover. $18.95 on Amazon.

Motivx Tools 84mm 14 Flute Oil Filter Wrench for Mercedes Dodge & Jeep 3.0L Diesel Engines

Can also get the oil filter on amazon for $10.

Mann-Filter HU 821 X Metal-Free Oil Filter

A good place to get filters and other parts for your Sprinter is: Europarts

https://europarts-sd.com/default.asp
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
Just be very careful to use only MBZ approved oil AND filter. Mine is a synthetic oil. I learned my lesson the hard way when a rv dealership offered to give me my first oil change when I was there doing some warranty repairs. They used an aftermarket filter which ended up blowing all my oil all over my engine, sides of rv and the undercarriage. I was just heading out on an extended trip and had only gotten five miles from home when it blew. I had to wait a month for a new engine to be shipped from Germany and installed, along with a new starter. This mistake set the rv dealership back over $20,000. ( They said they had their BEST mechanic do my service ��.)

Wow that sucks, since the filter is just the paper element inside the existing MB case, he must have left the cover loose.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 01-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP (Available on Amazon, I found it on sale at NAPA but can be difficult to find the ESP sometimes) This is the oil my MB dealer uses. I do the oil and filter changes now and it is very easy. Takes just under 13 qts. Will need a oil filter case wrench to remove the filter cover. $18.95 on Amazon.

Motivx Tools 84mm 14 Flute Oil Filter Wrench for Mercedes Dodge & Jeep 3.0L Diesel Engines

Can also get the oil filter on amazon for $10.

Mann-Filter HU 821 X Metal-Free Oil Filter

A good place to get filters and other parts for your Sprinter is: Europarts

https://europarts-sd.com/default.asp
All good advice. Don't get sucked in to using any 5W-30 or 0W-30 diesel oil. The Mobil 1 ESP and others are formulated not to damage the diesel particulate filter and other emissions equipment that are on the MB turbodiesel. The emissions system is pretty complex (read expensive to repair) and finicky.

I use Amsoil (personal choice) that is on the Bevo approved list.

One other item I added to make the oil change easier (and for oil analysis sampling) is a Fumoto quick drain valve. Since my drain pan can't hold 13 quarts, I can drain part of the oil, close the valve, empty the pan and then drain the rest. Also eliminates the need to remove the drain plug and replace the plug washer each time.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #11

100 percent Olive oil.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #12

MB recommends synthetic Mobil1 for their oil of choice (at least that is what the decal in the front of my 2018 Isata 3 FW says when you open the hood). Personally, Mobil1 would be fine but I use Rotella synthetic meeting 0 to 30. Comes down to money as long as you use synthetic and viscosity requirements I don't see any reason not to use as you desire.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #13

Blauparts

I've been using this company for years for all my VW cars. Gas/Diesel, I4 and V6. For two years now, I've been getting an oil change kit for my 2014 Sprinter too!
https://www.blauparts.com/sprinter-3...cv3-07-17.html
Iowaprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #14

when I had the dealer do my first oil change on my 2007 Navion MBS they farmed it out to another private garage....when I drove off my dash alert lighted up...seems they had filled the oil to an excess level because the MH was not level when oil was added. …..they had to drain off some of the oil. I understand an excessive level is likely to cause damage. Just another detail.... keep it level.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisjc View Post
MB recommends synthetic Mobil1 for their oil of choice (at least that is what the decal in the front of my 2018 Isata 3 FW says when you open the hood). Personally, Mobil1 would be fine but I use Rotella synthetic meeting 0 to 30. Comes down to money as long as you use synthetic and viscosity requirements I don't see any reason not to use as you desire.

You might want to educate yourself on Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur (SAPS) and it's effect on DPF and emissions systems before making a statement like this.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #16

Are they still doing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
Wow that sucks, since the filter is just the paper element inside the existing MB case, he must have left the cover loose.
Are they still doing that? Paper filter in a canister that fills with gunk and has to be cleaned every time? My '62 Impala has that and it's a nuisance. I am stunned to learn that a manufacturer is still doing that.

On the Impala, the canister and a square-cross-section O-ring have to be aligned with the groove in the cast-iron housing. (I'd call it a base but it sits above the canister.) It's easy for the O-ring to drop out of position or the canister lip to not enter the groove but hang on the edge.

I can see how an oil-change jockey could mess this up. On the Impala, the seat is above the canister in deep, dark shadow. You can't see what you are doing. I work by feel and run my fingertips around the canister top as it enters the groove, to make sure it and the O-ring are placed properly.

If it's like the Impala, my guess is that it was tight but not properly seated.

Larry
Attached Images

Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #17

Never ceases to amaze how many folks post answers without any experience with the MB chassis. The OP has a 2017 Forester on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter with a 6 cylinder Diesel engine. You must use the oil that MB specs, which is clearly outlined in the vehicle’s manual. Otherwise you may cause damage to the engine and the very sensitive pollution control system for which this vehicle is famous (or infamous!). And of course, that damage will not be covered by the MB warranty. The service interval on a 2016 or 2017 Sprinter is 20000 miles (or 1 year, I think). At that time, along with the oil and oil filter, MB requires changing the fuel filter, not something you want to try unless you do some serious homework. First time around, I recommend taking it to an MB or Freightliner dealer. They will also check for recalls and do any necessary software updates.

Best of luck!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
40,000+ miles, 400+ days on the road.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
Never ceases to amaze how many folks post answers without any experience with the MB chassis. The OP has a 2017 Forester on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter with a 6 cylinder Diesel engine. You must use the oil that MB specs, which is clearly outlined in the vehicle’s manual. Otherwise you may cause damage to the engine and the very sensitive pollution control system for which this vehicle is famous (or infamous!). And of course, that damage will not be covered by the MB warranty. The service interval on a 2016 or 2017 Sprinter is 20000 miles (or 1 year, I think). At that time, along with the oil and oil filter, MB requires changing the fuel filter, not something you want to try unless you do some serious homework. First time around, I recommend taking it to an MB or Freightliner dealer. They will also check for recalls and do any necessary software updates.

Best of luck!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
40,000+ miles, 400+ days on the road.

That's what I did, MB Dealer changed the Oil, Oil Filter and Fuel Filter at one year and 11,000 miles. $700 later I decided I should be able to do that myself. Oil and Filter change is very simple, Fuel Filter is a little more involved and takes some research. It took about 2.5 hours to replace the Fuel Filter, Collector, Turbocharger Mid Seal Ring, 2 hose clamps and the Fuel Filter Purge Hose which is what you have to replace to complete the job. It is supposed to be replaced every year although if it can go 20,000 miles I don't see the point at one year.

The engine has a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty so I will comply with what ever they say for now. Total to do it myself was $250 but I found a good deal on the oil at NAPA at $5.99 per quart, should have bought more. Hardest part was routing the Fuel Filter Purge Hose and you need a special tool to get the stock MB Hose Clamps off. Can buy the tool on Amazon for $16.67.

Astro 9406F Hose Clamp Clic-R Collar Pliers

All the other parts I got at Europarts, "The Sprinter and Eurovan Parts Source"

I plan on a Transmission Fluid change at 30,000 mile intervals because of the weight of these beasts with a Toad.

I have 25,000 miles in 2.5 years on my Isata 3 and it has been running very well so far.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 01-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #19
Old Engineer

Mobil 1 ESP (Low Ash)

Mobil 1 ESP (Low Ash) 5W-30 is what I use.

I had a long conversation with the MB truck service manager and he admitted that a lot of Sprinter fleet operators use a variety of synthetics and viscosity "get away with murder" and have no problems.

He went on to make the point of not "saving money on cheap filters".

Filters cause more problems than oils.

You can buy the oil and filters at the dealer if you can't find them elsewhere.
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #20

IT is the ASH that MB worries about , no question most any oil will be fine for the engine BUT the exhaust system costs big bucks and if it goes,
MB will have your engine oil analyzed , and if you do not have the "correct" oil the big bucks will be yours.

They fear the Air Police after VW spent billions being caught giving their customers the best performance and mileage .

The "correct" oil changes over time , so visit the MB site for today's version of what is correct.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote