Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 12:38 AM   #21

MNtraveler, Thanks for the comprehensive review of the winterization process on the MBS 2400's. Many have commented on the FW tank not having the heating pad, and this is the first I have heard about the ducted heat going under the floor to the FW tank area. Now I understand why there is a shroud under the FW tank.

Regarding the low points, I believe the 2400w's are underneath right in front of the rear bumper on the passenger side. There is an access cap on the above-mentioned shroud, with the low point hoses right there.

We are on our way down to Texas to restart our "cold-avoidance" tour. Hopefully I did not miss any of the winterization steps, as in got pretty cold a couple of times there in the last month.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-17-2017, 03:30 AM   #22

MNTraveler: Nice writeup on winterizing. It will became part of my owners manual.

Thank you for your contribution to the knowledge fund.

Ric
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #23

Ok, friends ... one more very stupid newbie question: Where the heck would I find the water pump on the MBS2401WS and - most importantly - the bypass switch???

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401WS
Old 01-17-2017, 06:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwallin View Post
Ok, friends ... one more very stupid newbie question: Where the heck would I find the water pump on the MBS2401WS and - most importantly - the bypass switch???

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401WS
Generally pumps are very close to the water tanks. I'm not sure what a water pump bypass switch is though.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #25

I ask because the owners manual said to make sure the water pump bypass was set to "normal" before switching on the water pump (which never worked) ... but there were no further instructions as to how to do that or where to even look. Grrrrrr ... I agree with MNtraveller - the manual falls woefully short.

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401WS
Old 01-18-2017, 12:41 AM   #26

On the SunSeeker 2400w the water pump is under the shower pan. That is where the bypass valve is as well. There is an access panel there to get to the pump and anti-freeze suction hose. On the SunSeeker the bypass valve handle is surface mounted next to the panel.

Good luck!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 01-18-2017, 03:01 AM   #27

Found the discussion interesting so I looked at the instructions that FR supplied. First off, the class C and class A instructions are identical and are pretty old and don't even mention using the pump antifreeze suction hose at all, hence they resort to putting a ton of RV antifreeze in the tank itself and pumping from there. They only mention the water heater bypass (nobody wants to use 8 gallons of antifreeze) and never discuss the water pump winterization port at all. While MNTraveler is correct in mentioning replacing the filter cannister before pumping antifreeze, the instructions will work albeit ignoring the modern features of most Forest River units.

Looked at the videos and you would think they are from a different vendor. They show pretty much best practices, water pump suction of antifreeze as well as compressed air methods. They are pretty much correct for current products.

Of course, every unit is different and there is that first year where "don't forget the outside shower, the black tank flush if you have one...and as I have recently discovered, don't forget to put compressed air in the tank water fill if you have one.

In short, MNTraveler is right but it is sort of like taking the final exam for Earth Science I when you have already taken Earth Science 3! You know too much and the simplistic questions don't seem to make sense. The forum is better since we have all learned the hard way about what not to forget when winterizing...at least I know that I have.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #28

Thanks again, Rkloud9. Clarifying question: Is the access panel to the water pump inside the house or outside underneath the chassis? I have noted an access panel I assumed was for shower plumbing that is located inside the house on the bathroom-side bedroom wall near the floor. Never accessed it, of course, so do tell ...?

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401WS
Old 01-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #29

The access panel to the water pump in my 2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400 W is in the bathroom below the shower door. That is also where winterization valve is for the pump. It is possible that on the Forester they placed the panel near the floor on the bedroom side of the bathroom wall. Logically, you would think that wherever the diverter valve is, the pump access would be close at hand, but do not count on such fantasies. In my case it was useful to take a couple of hours and systematically explore all the nooks and crannies of the Beast... the panels are easy to remove, and you will not damage anything. Also, pull out the drawers, especially around the kitchen area, to see how the plumbing and heating are laid out. In my search for the mythical subwoofer, I ended up looking in, around, and through most every space, inside and outside of the vehicle. It is kind of fascinating how these things are put together.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 01-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #30

Good advice as usual, Rkloud9. Will check it all out next time in our Forester Gump.

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401WS
Old 01-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
... Also, pull out the drawers, especially around the kitchen area, to see how the plumbing and heating are laid out. In my search for the mythical subwoofer, I ended up looking in, around, and through most every space, inside and outside of the vehicle. It is kind of fascinating how these things are put together.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W

I am new to all this and have a 2016 SunSeeker 2400W on MB Sprinter. I found the subwoofer under the wardrobe by pulling out a drawer. Winterized in my NJ driveway following several articles here and will find out in March if I missed anything besides the water pump. What are the odds the pump becomes an issue?
TryingToLearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingToLearn View Post
I am new to all this and have a 2016 SunSeeker 2400W on MB Sprinter. I found the subwoofer under the wardrobe by pulling out a drawer. Winterized in my NJ driveway following several articles here and will find out in March if I missed anything besides the water pump. What are the odds the pump becomes an issue?

If you were following how-to articles, chances are good you did well. If you pumped antifreeze into the lines, you should have no trouble with the pump which will be full of antifreeze.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Nights camped 2016: 32; RV to date: 35

Tags
camping, forester