Old 06-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #1

2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Hi all - first want to say thank you for such an awesome resource! We have been "lurking" for some time doing our research and trying to educate ourselves. We are complete newbies and have never owned an RV before. After much of the aforementioned research, visits to dealers, etc. We are now in the process of purchasing a 2016 Forest MBS 2401R. We have downloaded PDI checklists and read everything we can on this forum about the Forester and her sisters, Sunseeker and Solera.....but "we still don't know what we still don't know" !

We plan the spend the first night in a full hook up campground near the dealer as many of you have advised. What will we need to have? Adapters, surge protectors and the like?

If you currently own this model - is there anything special we should be aware of or looking out for?

Any modifications/options you would suggest doing sooner rather then later?

Has anyone attended the Escapees Boot Camp? One is coming up in July in Vermont, which might be a nice first road trip from Virginia. What was your experience? Do you feel it is worthwhile?

We are super excited to begin this new adventure. Thank you for keeping this forum so active and informative.

Mike and Jani
Hopfully new owners
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Old 06-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your 2016 Forester MBS 2401R. Things you will need are water pressure regulator, 50' water hose, good quality sewer hose, disposable gloves for when you dump tanks, wheel chocks, couple pieces of PT 2X8's to level camper and 4 more smaller ones to put under stabilizer jacks, level, extension cord, spare fuses. I would suggest roof vent covers so you can leave the roof vents open in the rain for ventilation and a surge protector/EMS unit from Progressive Industries.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #3

And don't drive through rain

Until you protect the Curt taillight controller that is located on the rear bumper of the motorhome (search Curt controller on this forum).

There have been numerous failures of this unit and it can cause complete loss of all tail lights or various other issues - like one light stays on all of the time.

Some have wrapped it in a plastic bag as a temporary fix and others moved it to a weatherproof PVC box.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #4

Mike and Jani, I attended the boot camp that Escapees offers and felt it was helpful. They also offer SmartWeigh at most of their events and it's a good idea to have your new rig weighed once you're fully loaded to assure you're not exceeding the carrying capacity of the rig. Safe travels! I believe you'll enjoy your new rig.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #5

Congratulations! Get the things that Wiscampsin said and have fun. My wife and I also got a new 2401R on May 5th and we took it to the Great Smoky Mountains last week for 6 days. We had a great uneventful time. The mpg was 13.5 at the best but I plan on slowing down and doing better on the next trip.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #6

X3 Wiscampsin and also the vent covers. Very handy to have also are the tension bars for frig, dishes/cups cabinet. I use them in my medicine cabinet to keep tall items from falling out also. Storage boxes such as plastic bin, milk crate, etc. in storage compartments. I have over the bathrm. door towel hooks & extra plastic stick on hooks. It's all about maximixing a small space and keeping the stuff from falling out while moving. A tool box/ bag with duct tape, wood glue, etc..... Enjoy!!
Old 06-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #7

Vent covers (camco) on sale at Walmart - 16.95! just got 5 - 3 for my 24R and 2 for my coming Forester 2401W..
Old 06-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #8

Hey Loeflerth! Which one is the toad?
Old 06-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #9

Thanks everyone.

We really appreciate your advice and quick responses. We will let you know how our visit to the dealer goes on Saturday! Could turn out to be a pretty sweet Father's Day present! :
Old 06-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
Hey Loeflerth! Which one is the toad?
neither - I do not have a MH at all
Solera - sold
Forester - in the mail, takes till end of July...

Tags
forester