Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #61

2401R Curt location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
#8 was an absolutely smashing diagnostic recommendation. Odd how everyone went right by it.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

I have a new MBS that its rained for 2-3 days. LED Lights stay on now. I removed the FUSE. Where is the CURT Module located so I can replace it?
RVReggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #62

This thread has all you need to get up to speed on the problem and member solutions.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-104116.html
Old 12-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #63

2401R Curt location

Thank you very much, will do!!!
RVReggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #64

Not surprised at all

Let's see, the first post in this particular thread was October 2015, there have been dozens of posts on this and other threads, many of us owners came up with our own solutions that allow us to use our MH, FR finally issued a recall months ago, apparently still no permanent fix from the factory.

And you wonder why I am so disappointed with FR. I really feel for the folks that aren't able to fix these things themselves.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #65

I just picked up a 2016 Forester that had the recall fixed, you might try contacting your dealer. On mine it looks like all they did was swap out the controller. It's still mounted on the bumper with no additional water proofing.
gmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Let's see, the first post in this particular thread was October 2015, there have been dozens of posts on this and other threads, many of us owners came up with our own solutions that allow us to use our MH, FR finally issued a recall months ago, apparently still no permanent fix from the factory.

And you wonder why I am so disappointed with FR. I really feel for the folks that aren't able to fix these things themselves.

Although there is no "permanent fix," anyone who has problems should expect it to be replaced under warranty, and if outside of warranty it should still be replaced at FR's cost since it is a recall item. Even without a "permanent fix," a non-working unit can still be easily replaced with a working unit. I'm not saying this is the ideal solution - it is not - but anyone having trouble should be able to get the problem unit replaced.

If anyone has a different experience since the recall was announced, they should mention it here and take it up with FR directly or through your dealer. Anyone who had to replace a unit before the recall was announced, if it wasn't covered by warranty, should ask FR for reimbursement since now we know it's a recalled item.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Nights camped 2016: 32; RV to date: 35
Old 12-28-2016, 01:47 AM   #67

I thought I read they were waiting for MB for a final fix
Old 12-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #68

Sarcasm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
I thought I read they were waiting for MB for a final fix
Don't think MB has/had anything to do with the defect or the recall. I think whoever wrote that recall letter to the owners was trying to place blame on MB when none was due.

Author probably worked previously as a communications director for a major political party
Old 01-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #69

2016 Forester MBS 2401s - LED Brake Light Will Not Turn Off

The current version of the recall letter (from November) states that the fix is available at dealers now. As far as I can remember, we were told we would be notified when it was available, and we were never notified.

The complete repair instructions are included here. They include not only replacing he module but also removing the driver's seat and adding a 15-amp in-line fuse to the circuit. (If you do this yourself, be sure to thread the fuse to the outside of the seat base so you don't have to remove the seat again.)

Needless to say, removing the seat is not a trivial matter. There is ample opportunity to damage the seat or anything around it in the process...

The letter confirms if you had to have this repaired before the recall, you are eligible for reimbursement. However, you have to have the vehicle inspected to make sure it was done correctly. (Including the fuse, since I never heard anyone say they were doing this step.)

https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/d...lerCentral.pdf

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #70

Original Recall notice was dated August 12, 2016. I found my VIN number on page 32 of the list located on the above link. Haven't received current recall letter either. I just called Forest River Warranty number that was listed and am waiting for a response.

If I don't get a return phone call today, I will call the Toll Free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-424-9153 and let them know that others have received notices telling how to have vehicle serviced in late November but I haven't received anything as of yet. Will let the NTSA deal with the Forest Rivers slow response to this safety issue.
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker24 View Post
If I don't get a return phone call today, I will call the Toll Free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-424-9153 and let them know that others have received notices telling how to have vehicle serviced in late November but I haven't received anything as of yet.
I'm not sure that anyone has received the updated recall notice. The notice that was posted was an electronic form, which might be used to generate actual letters - but it wasn't an actual recall notice. I don't know the origin of the posting, but it might have been a pre-release draft of some sort.

Has anyone actually received the new recall notice?

Dave
Old 01-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
I'm not sure that anyone has received the updated recall notice. The notice that was posted was an electronic form, which might be used to generate actual letters - but it wasn't an actual recall notice. I don't know the origin of the posting, but it might have been a pre-release draft of some sort.

Has anyone actually received the new recall notice?

Dave
I received a call back from Forest River today. Was told that they had sent out several thousand recall letters and I should have gotten one. Since I have never received an official recall notice along with instructions on how to proceed, I asked if they could send me a replacement, I was told that would be impossible.

The Forest River representative I talked to offered and did send an email with a copy of the same PDF listed in a previous post. He told me to take that letter to a Forest River Dealership and they would handle the recall free of charge.

This is the generic letter, it does NOT contain my name, nor the VIN number like as the letter states that it is supposed to. I wasn't born yesterday, so I am not taking a blank letter anywhere seeking warranty work. Especially to a Forest River Dealership.

One of two things happened to the official recall notice. either it was lost in the mail, or Forest River Department of Compliance never sent it out.

Since I have no intent making a trip to a Forest River Dealer without an official recall letter, I have no choice but to the Vehicle Safety Hotline as listed in the original recall notice, I received. I will let the NTSHA put some pressure on Forest River to provide the proper recall notice, especially seeing as others have stated here that they have not received any official recall notice.

If anyone has had luck getting their vehicle repaired using the generic letter listed in a previous post, please respond.

BTW, The rep I talked to stated that I shouldn't believe the things I read on this forum. He stated that most are exaggerations.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #73

I think I was handed a bill of goods during that phone conversation with Forest River. If your interested in the entire Recall process check out the documents here. https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vehicle Choose search by number and enter 16V465. There is a list of documents of the correspondence between Forest River and the NHTSA.

I have attached the latest letter from Forest River to the NHTSA dated November 21, 2016. Although quite technical, it does offer some insight and interesting reading.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RCLRPT-16V465-2899.PDF (214.7 KB, 73 views)
Old 01-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker24 View Post
This is the generic letter, it does NOT contain my name, nor the VIN number like as the letter states that it is supposed to. I wasn't born yesterday, so I am not taking a blank letter anywhere seeking warranty work. Especially to a Forest River Dealership.
Note the recall letter posted by MNTraveller here:
The last few pages of this letter includes a complete list of all of the VINs involved. I suspect you'll find your VIN number listed and that a complete printout of that notice would be sufficient to convince your dealer.

That being said, I don't think I'd venture a long way without first consulting with the dealer service department.

Dave
Old 01-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Note the recall letter posted by MNTraveller here:
The last few pages of this letter includes a complete list of all of the VINs involved. I suspect you'll find your VIN number listed and that a complete printout of that notice would be sufficient to convince your dealer.

That being said, I don't think I'd venture a long way without first consulting with the dealer service department.

Dave

Agreed. I'm not discouraging you from calling NHTSA if you want, but call the dealer and show them the letter with your VIN on it. If they won't fix it, I'd be surprised, but then you would REALLY have a reason to call NHTSA.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-05-2017, 10:26 PM   #76

I bought mine new last October broke instantly. Fixed myself by replacing Curt and waterproofing. No further problems.

Dealer didn't know how to fix. Forest river has never sent me recall notice, update or anything regarding this. As far as Orlando RV knows I am still driving around without tail lights as they were "looking into the issue" a week after I bought it.

Sad fact is if you buy a RV prepare to become your own service tech or give it up for a month or more to be fixed by a dealer.

I am a happy owner but only because I have fixed everything myself so far.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-05-2017, 10:53 PM   #77

If you are fussy about how things are fixed at home and want it done correctly, more than likely if its fixed at a dealer, you may be very dissatisfied by how its done. I found that out and now learn and make my own repairs or modifications. Read, ask questions and ask someone to/for help. Then you will know it s right. There are independent repair people that are very good if you can't do it yourself. If you have a good dealer, you are lucky!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:19 AM   #78

Truer words were never spoken !

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
If you are fussy about how things are fixed at home and want it done correctly, more than likely if its fixed at a dealer, you may be very dissatisfied by how its done. I found that out and now learn and make my own repairs or modifications. Read, ask questions and ask someone to/for help. Then you will know it s right. There are independent repair people that are very good if you can't do it yourself. If you have a good dealer, you are lucky!
That is exactly my experience. If you are not mechanically inclined and have the time, buy a Prevost or Monaco to get a good Dealer experience and well-built coach - but you'll pay dearly for it.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:59 AM   #79

Given that I don't trust my local dealer to do competent work, I think I'll just carry a spare controller with me and go ahead and add the inline fuse myself. It's not worth the hassle and unreasonable amount of time it will probably take the dealer to complete the recall.

Since I moved the controller to a weatherproof box, I have had no issues. It will be interesting to see if the new controller holds up any better given that it still will be subjected to the elements from road/tire spray.

Has anyone tried to purchase the "kit" from FR (P/N 40E17873A)? At least it would already have the proper weatherproof connectors already installed.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #80

Why do we do this to ourselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysunseekermbs View Post
I bought mine new last October broke instantly. Fixed myself by replacing Curt and waterproofing. No further problems.

Dealer didn't know how to fix. Forest river has never sent me recall notice, update or anything regarding this. As far as Orlando RV knows I am still driving around without tail lights as they were "looking into the issue" a week after I bought it.

Sad fact is if you buy a RV prepare to become your own service tech or give it up for a month or more to be fixed by a dealer.

I am a happy owner but only because I have fixed everything myself so far.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I don't understand why we, as consumers, continue to "reward" the RV industry pushing their poorly built products through dealers that aren't required to perform warranty service and are basically unaccountable for the quality of service they do provide.

I got the fact that we like to travel and enjoy the great outdoors - but we seem to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. The industry is reporting record sales overwhelming an unprepared dealer network with more and more warranty claims for products that should never have left the factory. I don't buy the "you should have caught it during PDI" argument. The factory should have caught it during QC checks at every step and fixed it then.

I guess I'm very much in the minority here, but as much as I enjoy traveling in the RV - this will be my first and last one.

Tags
forester, led, light, brakes