Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #1

2016 Forester MBS 2401s - Questions

Hello -

Just recently registered here subsequent to ordering my new 2016 Forester MBS 2401s, which hopefully goes into production soon. I've read the most recent 10 pages of threads and trying to learn as much as possible ahead of delivery.

A couple of questions that I have are..

For the 2016 model year did FR increase the LP tank size? I did read a discussion regarding the diesel vs propane generator in which it was mentioned this was under consideration.

Also curious what the specs are of the OEM coach batteries. I understand there are two 12v deep cycle; however I'm curious what the amp hour rating and group size is.

It's very likely that I'll end up installing a solar panel as I had a 100w/10amp panel with two 6v batteries on the tent trailer, which was fantastic. We primarily dry camp so it seems this will be an added benefit to preserve propane from the generator when not using devices (i.e. A/C) that would otherwise require a generator. I'll most likely have a Zamp Solar panel installed as they're great panels and the manufacturer is local.

I'm also looking at a dash cover, cab privacy/sun shades, over-the-door drying rack and possibly some weather tech floor mats for the cab. Anyway, thanks in advance for your replies and assistance. Feel free to chime in with any other words of advice.

Cheers
dukeboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeboone View Post
I'm also looking at a dash cover, cab privacy/sun shades, over-the-door drying rack and possibly some weather tech floor mats for the cab. Anyway, thanks in advance for your replies and assistance. Feel free to chime in with any other words of advice.
Here are a few links for Sprinter accessories:

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Windshield SunShade Set 2003-2016

Sprinter RV Items - Fanchers.com For all your upholstery needs!

Sprinter Parts Depot -

Sprinter Accessories | Aftermarket Accessory Parts | Dodge - Freightliner - Mercedes Benz Sprinter Van

Midwest Sprinter Parts - Mercedes, Dodge & Freightliner Sprinter Van Parts

Welcome to EuroCampers.com - Parts & Accessories for Vans & Campers Specializing in Sprinter & VW Vans

For adding a TPMS:

DL1SP13FR Chrome Duallyvalve Kit W/ Front Stems

For a dash mat and floor mats I'd probably use:

AutoAnything | Auto Accessories & Aftermarket Parts | Truck Accessories & Car Accessories - Floor Mats, Tonneau Covers & Car Covers

But eBay and amazon are good for price checking as well...

That ought to be enough "starter" links to melt down a fairly high limit credit card...

This thread is really good: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ead-44705.html
RedLdr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
clr

I think the coach batteries are supplied by the rv dealer and not FR so you may have to time to get the batteries you want. But they may want to adjust the price of the unit. Enjoy you new RV when you get it.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:48 PM   #4

There is vinyl underneath the carpet and carpet is easy to remove so I would skip weathertek floor mats. I got them for my wrangler but carpet difficult to remove. I bought the silver inside shades that fit front windows and they work very well. I bought an over door set of 4 hooks to air dry towels , bathing suits. Use it on bathroom door. I installed 2 x 100 watt renology flexible panels run to a 30w mvpt controller and directly to batteries. Did a 2week dry camping test on my driveway and kept batteries at 100 percent . Only issue was hydrogen gas emitted by batteries set off co alarm, so I installed 2 vent covers and always leave roof vents open. Unfortunately not enough room under steps to install 2 6 volt golf cart batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #5

Congratulations and welcome to the Forum. First for the inexpensive stuff: I also have the inside shades and really like them (especially when the weather is bad) and I put a motion detecting LED light in the closet. Now for the pricy stuff: In terms of solar, I have 500 watts of solar on top, a 40 amp MPPT controller, a 2,000 watt pure sine inverter with 100 amp charger and a MERC 50 remote for the inverter. I have 4-220 AH 6 volt AGM batteries. Two replaced the batteries under the step with just a little modification to the step and two are in the slightly modified compartment beside the steps. There's also a Progressive hardwired surge protector with remote installed. The rig is set up for full-time living and the solar gives me the capability to comfortably be off-grid for as long as my water tanks and propane can handle.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #6

Also, instead of an over-the-door rack, I put a shower rod next to the wall in the shower. Wet stuff on hangers drips in the shower pan. I live in the west and things dry fast in low humidity.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
There is vinyl underneath the carpet and carpet is easy to remove so I would skip weathertek floor mats. I got them for my wrangler but carpet difficult to remove. I bought the silver inside shades that fit front windows and they work very well. I bought an over door set of 4 hooks to air dry towels , bathing suits. Use it on bathroom door. I installed 2 x 100 watt renology flexible panels run to a 30w mvpt controller and directly to batteries. Did a 2week dry camping test on my driveway and kept batteries at 100 percent . Only issue was hydrogen gas emitted by batteries set off co alarm, so I installed 2 vent covers and always leave roof vents open. Unfortunately not enough room under steps to install 2 6 volt golf cart batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I think that since your batteries are triggering the co alarm, they are gassing off due to pushing too much current into the batteries. Excessive gassing causes acid loss, so you need to monitor that situation. Not sure the solution. But your on-board converter, if three stage type, senses battery charge state through the BCC, and steps the current down accordingly.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:16 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
I think the coach batteries are supplied by the rv dealer and not FR so you may have to time to get the batteries you want. But they may want to adjust the price of the unit. Enjoy you new RV when you get it.
Manufacturer supplies coach batteries on Motorhomes.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #9

Thanks Brian. Has there been any change to the propane cylinder for 2016? Looks as thoygh there has been some discussuon for a while of possibly increasing the capaciry if you could work through various limiting factors. Cheers!
Old 07-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Not that I am aware of. I'm no longer there however, so not sure of the timetable.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:23 AM   #11

Thank you!
Old 07-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #12

Clothes dryer

Instead of an over the door dryer why not get this? Gets great reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carl.../dp/B00OK01VC2
Cfritts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester