Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #1

2019 Forester MBS - What's powering the slide and stabilizer jacks?

Trying to get some clarity on this issue. Prior to 2019, Forest River let you operate the slide and stabilizers without the engine running. On our 2019 Forester MBS 2401WS the engine needs to be running and e-brake enabled to operate either the slide or the jacks. It's inconvenient because it forces us to restart the engine after making our hookups. What is the underlying reason for this? Are the stabilizers and slide being powered directly from the chassis battery now or still from the coach batteries? I'd like a technical answer on why FR made this change. I'm asking because a friend has a 2017 model and isn't required to run the engine to operate either. Thanks.
Fickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:27 AM   #2

As a guess ,the onboard 120v charger is not able to hold the batt voltage high enough to keep the tiny DC motors happy.

Especially if the house batts are old and tired.

The engine alt is a much larger source of DC, almost 7 times bigger.

I would be delighted to operate the engine in my 2016 FWS if I thought it would keep me from having slide nightmares!

The MB air pollution system is not happy with extended ideling , but the time it takes to operate the slide should be no hassle.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

X2

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #4

Following...
Old 10-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickl View Post
Trying to get some clarity on this issue. Prior to 2019, Forest River let you operate the slide and stabilizers without the engine running. On our 2019 Forester MBS 2401WS the engine needs to be running and e-brake enabled to operate either the slide or the jacks. It's inconvenient because it forces us to restart the engine after making our hookups. What is the underlying reason for this? Are the stabilizers and slide being powered directly from the chassis battery now or still from the coach batteries? I'd like a technical answer on why FR made this change. I'm asking because a friend has a 2017 model and isn't required to run the engine to operate either. Thanks.
Your issue is already being discussed in this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...es-171034.html
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:08 AM   #6

I'm asking because a friend has a 2017 model and isn't required to run the engine to operate either.

I believe the drill on the early models was to plug in or start the gen set , to help power the DC motors.

Using the engine is a good move as even at idle the alt is quite powerfull.

YES I would be interested in changing over , anything to keep slide problems away.

Factory visit refit?
Old 10-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #7

Since I have a 2017, I "assume" I can't even start my engine before pulling in the slide? I guess I could try it next time we pull it in - I'd run the engine in a heart beat if it helped get the slide in (since we've been stuck twice with an open slide because as we found out later, our crappy stock house batteries gave up at 13 months)

I'm guessing it's some safety feature that won't allow the engine to even start if our slide is open (at least I always thought that) I'd rather start the engine than the generator as I'd hate to start the gen and then just turn it off 2 minutes later and I don't really want to let it run for 15 minutes every time we pull the slide in, plus, it sounds like the engine would help our slide power more than the gen?
Old 10-16-2018, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
Since I have a 2017, I "assume" I can't even start my engine before pulling in the slide?
I don't know for sure about your unit, but on my 2015 I have no problem starting the engine with the slides deployed. May not be able to run the slides in with the engine running, but I know from experience that I can start the engine with the slides out.

In fact, I know from experience that I can drive the rig with the rear slide out. Don't ask. I didn't go very far...

Dave
Old 10-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #9

Just bought our 2017 2401W MB 1 month ago. 2 weekends under our belt. On our first outing, I fired up the coach engine to defrost the windshield. I packed the rig and was going to pull in the slides and stabilizers. With the engine running, the 2 icons did not appear on our control. After a fit or 2 and no answers from the factory authorized service number from Forest River, they did not know an answer. My
wife found out on a blog that the engine had to be off. Magic,,,,,,the icons appeared.
Goodscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #10

I seem to recall that same thing when we first got ours - no icons for stabilizer or slides while the engine was running.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickl View Post
Interesting, on our 2013 Solera 24MS (precursor to yours) the slide will not open or close if the engine is running. But I can run the engine with the slide out. Have needed to before we replaced the crappy OEM batteries. Not sure about the stabilizers as I just never tried.
lmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:59 PM   #12

Like another post, our 2017 MBS 2401W slide will NOT operate if the engine is running. Upset wife, as I cranked engine as she was bringing slide back in for travel 1 morning. Shut engine back off and continues to bring the slide back in w/o problem
TNSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:35 AM   #13

"Have needed to before we replaced the crappy OEM batteries."

The hassle is the std camper does not have a realistic merhod of monitoring the batts , so proper procedure can be used to have them function best.

A voltmeter as gauge is almost useless .

What is needed is a SOC (State Of Charge) meter.

This is a gas gauge for the house set , and will allow you to follow the usual rules for long battery life.

Try to never discharge below 50% SOC and ALWAYS recharge to 100% after a deep discharge.

Batts take a long time to go from 85% SOC to 100% , so a long (3-4 hour drive) , the power pole overnight or solar, if you are willing to park in the sunshine.

Cycling between 50% SOC and 85% SOC is most common with many folks as the gen set takes way too long to get to 100%. This reduces batt life a great deal.

One SOC meter is TriMetric Model Descriptions - Bogart Engineering

www.bogartengineering.com/products/trimetrics.html
Measures battery % full, based on amp hour measurements for accurate information on state of charge (SOC). This method is more accurate than monitors that ...

There are many others , usually made for boats.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
I don't know for sure about your unit, but on my 2015 I have no problem starting the engine with the slides deployed. May not be able to run the slides in with the engine running, but I know from experience that I can start the engine with the slides out.

In fact, I know from experience that I can drive the rig with the rear slide out. Don't ask. I didn't go very far...

Dave
Pre-2019 models, you can start the engine with the slide out, but the slide is inoperable when the engine is running. On the older models, the engine must be off to operate the slide and the parking brake may either be on or off.
New models require engine running and parking brake on.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, jacks, power, slide