Old 10-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #1

2019 MB Sprinter_Gas Version

Hello All :
Any thoughts on the upcoming 2019 Sprinters with the Gas engine instead of the diesel ? I'm hoping that BC might lend his thoughts on this power plant for future Isata 3's ?

190 HP, 258 lb/ft of torque....66 lb/ft less than the diesel version, but, with non of the troublesome emissions related equipment : EGR's, DEF, DPF, all of the various sensors...all of which are so costly to repair....not to mention glow plugs and glow plug modules (I'm on my second EGR, third glow plug module with matching number of actual glow plugs gone bad and now a Mass Air Flow Sensor...only 44k miles...dang !!!)

chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #2

The Sprinter diesel is covered for 5 years/100,000 miles. IMO; By that time, a gas engine, I would suspect, after lugging what a diesel could would be toast.

Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #3

It will be interesting to see the specs on the 2019s. It appears that MB will be building Sprinters with both the gas and two diesel engines (one 4 cylinder, the other the current 6). But if trucks.com is correct, the cab chassis version (used for class c's) will only be offered with a diesel:
https://www.trucks.com/2018/09/05/me...-sprinter-van/
Dave
Old 10-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
The Sprinter diesel is covered for 5 years/100,000 miles. IMO; By that time, a gas engine, I would suspect, after lugging what a diesel could would be toast.
What, technically, would burn it out ? The tranny ? The general over strain/heat on the block/pistons ? I wonder if gas pickup trucks would also suffer similar strain towing a comparable TT ?

I guess it's a moot point anyway because Dave says it won't be available on the cut-away chassis.
chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaching View Post
What, technically, would burn it out ? The tranny ? The general over strain/heat on the block/pistons ? I wonder if gas pickup trucks would also suffer similar strain towing a comparable TT ?

I guess it's a moot point anyway because Dave says it won't be available on the cut-away chassis.

Iím thinking the constant weight of an RV being hauled with a delivery van engine would be overworked and tired after a few mountain trips. This again is only my opinion.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #6

190 HP, 258 lb/ft of torque....66 lb/ft less than the diesel version, but, with non of the troublesome emissions related equipment : EGR's, DEF, DPF, all of the various sensors...all of which are so costly to repair....not to mention glow plugs and glow plug modules (I'm on my second EGR, third glow plug module with matching number of actual glow plugs gone bad and now a Mass Air Flow Sensor...only 44k miles...dang !!!)[/QUOTE]

As Retired JSO said, but also the engine and aftertreatment components are covered by Emission Warranty. 5yr/100000 mile. EGR, and mass air flow sensor. The glow plugs and module, however, are start aids and only have OEM warranty. You don't have year of your coach, but I would get after MB about so many GP modules. jm2c
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #7

Gas powered MB Chassis

We owned a gas powered 2014 Winnebago View on the MB chassis for three years. It was trouble free and drove exceptionally well with more than adequate power. I only sold it because I didn't have a small enough toad, and never tried towing with it, though I suspect it would handle 3,000-4,000 lbs OK. It was a rare vehicle at the time, but probably my favorite out of nine RV's we have owned.
Not sure what they are planning to come up with, but ours was just fine with the 268 hp gas engine and 6-speed tranny.
Mike Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #8

All that stuff failed on your diesel MBS? I have a 2015 I bought new. Just rolled over 53,000 miles and I've had zero trouble with the Mercedes part. Now the Forest River part, that's another story.....
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #9

Forgot to ask what year yours is?
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaching View Post
Hello All :
Any thoughts on the upcoming 2019 Sprinters with the Gas engine instead of the diesel ? I'm hoping that BC might lend his thoughts on this power plant for future Isata 3's ?
I'd be interested in a gas engine. At some of the spots we camp, finding diesel is a challenge if not impossible. Plus our lack of knowledge of diesel engines.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas