Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #1

2019 MB Sprinter_Gas Version

Hello All :
Any thoughts on the upcoming 2019 Sprinters with the Gas engine instead of the diesel ? I'm hoping that BC might lend his thoughts on this power plant for future Isata 3's ?

190 HP, 258 lb/ft of torque....66 lb/ft less than the diesel version, but, with non of the troublesome emissions related equipment : EGR's, DEF, DPF, all of the various sensors...all of which are so costly to repair....not to mention glow plugs and glow plug modules (I'm on my second EGR, third glow plug module with matching number of actual glow plugs gone bad and now a Mass Air Flow Sensor...only 44k miles...dang !!!)
chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #2

The Sprinter diesel is covered for 5 years/100,000 miles. IMO; By that time, a gas engine, I would suspect, after lugging what a diesel could would be toast.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #3

It will be interesting to see the specs on the 2019s. It appears that MB will be building Sprinters with both the gas and two diesel engines (one 4 cylinder, the other the current 6). But if trucks.com is correct, the cab chassis version (used for class c's) will only be offered with a diesel:
https://www.trucks.com/2018/09/05/me...-sprinter-van/
Dave
Old 10-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
The Sprinter diesel is covered for 5 years/100,000 miles. IMO; By that time, a gas engine, I would suspect, after lugging what a diesel could would be toast.
What, technically, would burn it out ? The tranny ? The general over strain/heat on the block/pistons ? I wonder if gas pickup trucks would also suffer similar strain towing a comparable TT ?

I guess it's a moot point anyway because Dave says it won't be available on the cut-away chassis.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaching View Post
What, technically, would burn it out ? The tranny ? The general over strain/heat on the block/pistons ? I wonder if gas pickup trucks would also suffer similar strain towing a comparable TT ?

I guess it's a moot point anyway because Dave says it won't be available on the cut-away chassis.

I’m thinking the constant weight of an RV being hauled with a delivery van engine would be overworked and tired after a few mountain trips. This again is only my opinion.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #6

190 HP, 258 lb/ft of torque....66 lb/ft less than the diesel version, but, with non of the troublesome emissions related equipment : EGR's, DEF, DPF, all of the various sensors...all of which are so costly to repair....not to mention glow plugs and glow plug modules (I'm on my second EGR, third glow plug module with matching number of actual glow plugs gone bad and now a Mass Air Flow Sensor...only 44k miles...dang !!!)[/QUOTE]

As Retired JSO said, but also the engine and aftertreatment components are covered by Emission Warranty. 5yr/100000 mile. EGR, and mass air flow sensor. The glow plugs and module, however, are start aids and only have OEM warranty. You don't have year of your coach, but I would get after MB about so many GP modules. jm2c
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #7

Gas powered MB Chassis

We owned a gas powered 2014 Winnebago View on the MB chassis for three years. It was trouble free and drove exceptionally well with more than adequate power. I only sold it because I didn't have a small enough toad, and never tried towing with it, though I suspect it would handle 3,000-4,000 lbs OK. It was a rare vehicle at the time, but probably my favorite out of nine RV's we have owned.
Not sure what they are planning to come up with, but ours was just fine with the 268 hp gas engine and 6-speed tranny.
Mike Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #8

All that stuff failed on your diesel MBS? I have a 2015 I bought new. Just rolled over 53,000 miles and I've had zero trouble with the Mercedes part. Now the Forest River part, that's another story.....
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #9

Forgot to ask what year yours is?
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaching View Post
Hello All :
Any thoughts on the upcoming 2019 Sprinters with the Gas engine instead of the diesel ? I'm hoping that BC might lend his thoughts on this power plant for future Isata 3's ?
I'd be interested in a gas engine. At some of the spots we camp, finding diesel is a challenge if not impossible. Plus our lack of knowledge of diesel engines.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I'd be interested in a gas engine. At some of the spots we camp, finding diesel is a challenge if not impossible. Plus our lack of knowledge of diesel engines.
Same here. I prefer gasoline.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #12
mads

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob5560g View Post
All that stuff failed on your diesel MBS? I have a 2015 I bought new. Just rolled over 53,000 miles and I've had zero trouble with the Mercedes part. Now the Forest River part, that's another story.....

Almost 80,000 miles on our 2016 MBS 2401R and no engine problems. We do have ALL of our service done by MB. It is more expensive but a breakdown in the middle of nowhere is not a good thing. Plus I have seen posts where people will spend thousand for an add-on and change their own oil!! - not me.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #13

Changing your own oil, filter, and fuel filter is extremely easy. It just takes a bit of time and a few good tools including a good oil filter wrench. Just follow the MB 229.51 Mobil 1 ESP Formula spec oil carefully !

Besides doing an air filter/cabin filter change at the same time, I am now adding to that list doing a Mass Air Flow sensor clean with every oil change. There are specialized MAF sensor spray cleaners with specific instructions on how to do it right on the can. youtube videos are available as well.

At least I'm getting to know our Sprinter's foibles intimately.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:42 AM   #14

"At some of the spots we camp, finding diesel is a challenge if not impossible."

With at least 225 miles of range,finding Diesel is seldom a hassle.

Finding clean, no bio gunk diesel , that MB allows is sometimes harder.

Truck stops are out , but the many stations that cater to cars will frequently have the clean diesel MB demands.

READ THE PUMP before fueling!!!
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Finding clean, no bio gunk diesel , that MB allows is sometimes harder.
OK. This is a topic that comes up repeatedly - MB wants you to use non-bio diesel.

Personally, I use whatever diesel is available. I do my own oil changes...and get the oil analyzed...and I've never had any issues. But maybe I'm just special.

So...the question of the day...has anyone on this list ever had an MBS issue that could be attributed, in any way, to excessive use of bio-diesel???

I look forward to the responses!

Dave
Old 10-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #16

don't use Truck Stops?
did i just learn something important?

i'm going to be pulling a 36 foot fifth wheel, and sometimes i may want to refuel at a truck stop...
so,
what about my [new] 2018 ford 350, diesel?
do i need to be careful about where i get fuel?

thanks
marc
Old 10-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #17

fwiw, you might find some good reading here :

#1) Discussion regarding high mileage Sprinters and potential issues :

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=41925

#2) for some in depth knowledge about biodiesel and how VW got nailed for skirting strict EPA regulations :

EPA says VW running massive Clean Air scam via Jettas, Audis, Passats : Biofuels Digest

If you scroll to the bottom, there's these 2 paragraphs which are interesting :
"Why is power a problem especially for diesel vehicles?

Gasoline engines, traditionally, have more pep, or horsepower, which is what you use when you want to travel at high-speed on the highway. Diesel engines are better known for torque, which is what you need when you’re climbing a hill and carrying a heavy load. Consequently, diesel cars have had a “low power” rap for many years, fairly or unfairly, and manufacturers have been eager to maximize and tout the power and performance of diesel cars.
Why is power specifically an opportunity area for mischief when it comes to diesel and emissions control?

The more power you need, the more temperature in your engine. When you tip the engine over 2500 degrees, you get big NOx emissions. That’s when the SCR technology injects Diesel Exhaust Fluid into the exhaust stream, thereby enabling the catalytic conversion of NOx, in a two-step process, to nitrogen and water."
Old 10-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #18

I have used truck stops as my main locations to fuel, in both my 2017 F350 6.7 srw and my 2019 F350 Lariat crew cab drw. No issues. It just has to be ULSD per federal regs, which is what they have. Truck stops go through fuel fast, fresher fuel, less chance for water and they will be the first to have winter blend. The DEF is less expensive and fresher as well.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-mph21 View Post
i'm going to be pulling a 36 foot fifth wheel, and sometimes i may want to refuel at a truck stop... so, what about my [new] 2018 ford 350, diesel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
I have used truck stops as my main locations to fuel, in both my 2017 F350 6.7 srw and my 2019 F350 Lariat crew cab drw.
Note that this forum is devoted to motorhomes built on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Mercedes has very specific recommendations / requirements concerning bio-diesel which, presumably do not apply to your non-Mercedes engines.

Dave
Old 10-19-2018, 12:32 AM   #20

Someone asked for proof that biodiesel is bad for MB engines. Here it is, with photos. The fact that it voids your warranty is a pretty strong indicator too.....

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital..._Brochure5.pdf

Tags
gas