Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

Question 2401R MBS Electric Steps

Getting ready to hit the road and now my Electric Steps are not functioning at all. Thank God they are in the closed position right now. I have searched for the correct fuse to see if that might be the issue but can't seem to locate it according to my operator's manual. Anyone else having any insight or experience with this as well? Found fuse box under seat, left kick panel and in the center aisle, but could not find the fuse. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
WILLMCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #2

I can check this afternoon

I think the fuse for the steps is located in the Battery Control Center (BCC). This panel is located on the left side of the bottom step as you enter the coach. The cover is held on with two thumb screws and there is a wiring diagram on the back side of this cover. You might want to check there first.

I've been installing the boost control switch and wiring today and recall seeing the step fuse in the BCC.

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...R-BCC-RevC.pdf
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Check fuse F-5 in the Battery Control enter. It is labeled "Electric Seat" but I believe per the FR wiring diagram, it is actually the electric steps - since we do not have electric seats on our MBS MH.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #4

If none of the above locations solve the problem then get under the steps with a flash light and look for an inline fuse. I continue to be surprised by the number of hidden inline fuses in these coaches. The water pump being one example.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
2015 Solera 2400R

I recently had the same problem. After checking all fuses, everywhere, it ended up being the control module for the steps. It is located near the steps themselves. $260 later, it was fixed. I am out of warranty, so I paid myself. Buy a step stool at. Walmart. It's cheaper.
Echoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #6

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Check fuse F-5 in the Battery Control enter. It is labeled "Electric Seat" but I believe per the FR wiring diagram, it is actually the electric steps - since we do not have electric seats on our MBS MH.
Fuse is exactly where you said it would be, fuse was blown going out to pick up some, little buggers. Hopefully that's all it was.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #7

I had the same problem this summer. Look for a magnetic switch activated by closing the door, either the screen door or the main door to the coach. My problem had nothing to do with fuses or power. Christmas preparations preclude me from going out to refresh my memory just now, but it was a simple adjustment of a magnet to make the step work. Easy fix.
Peterowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #8

Thanks to all that supplied great info. It was the fuse, but I'm always suspicious when a fuse blows as to what made it blow.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLMCC View Post
I'm always suspicious when a fuse blows as to what made it blow.
As am I... But I had one of these step fuses blow shortly after I bought the coach (new)...I replaced it (the fuse...not the coach!) and it hasn't blown since (2+ years).

In discussing these steps on another thread, someone suggested that the shutoff mechanism is based on a thermal circuit breaker that breaks when the motor begins to draw excess power...as it does when the steps get to their endpoints. I can imagine that a "sticky" circuit breaker might blow the fuse if it didn't break in time...

Dave
Old 12-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Fuse is exactly where you said it would be, fuse was blown going out to pick up some, little buggers. Hopefully that's all it was.
Not sure if they changed the type of fuses in the BCC. Let us know if you had luck gettkng the exact replacement. Thanks
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks to all that supplied great info. It was the fuse, but I'm always suspicious when a fuse blows as to what made it blow.
Do this; when you have a spare hour +, first pull that fuse to render the step inoperable, then disconnect the linkage that drives the toothed gear. Then moving the steps manually, they should swing relatively freely. If you have to apply sufficient force, loosen the hinge step bolts slightly to effect a more smooth swing of the step movement. You will see if in your case wether they were over tightened during assembly. The excess friction causes the increased loads. Just sayin' . Been there done that.

Difficulty 2 1/2 wrenches out of 5.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Not sure if they changed the type of fuses in the BCC. Let us know if you had luck gettkng the exact replacement. Thanks
It's not the same shade of blue but it looks like otherwise. Works well so far.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:56 AM   #13

These damn electric step has started acting up again. I'm at the point where I think I'll just replace it with a manual pull step.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #14

Is the light under the steps turning on? When mine started acting up I pulled check the square inline connector box and found it full of water. Dried it out and problem solved. There is an inline fuse. Look for red wire behind the steps. Make sure you are not under the steps when you are working on them.
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #15

I replaced the screen door switch and fixed my door step that stopped working.
RVReggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachsailor View Post
Is the light under the steps turning on? When mine started acting up I pulled check the square inline connector box and found it full of water. Dried it out and problem solved. There is an inline fuse. Look for red wire behind the steps. Make sure you are not under the steps when you are working on them.
Yeah the step light comes on. Been waiting for weather to clear up before crawling under unit to do anything else. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #17

I went to the mfg website and found info on how to diagnose step problems.
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:10 AM   #18

It's probably the motor. They use the same motors that are used for power windows. Ours went out with less than a years use....
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:08 AM   #19

Yeah, that's exactly what it was. This should have been replaced under warranty if when I took it to CW and they just replaced a fuse. After a couple of fuses a blind person could see that something wasn't right. Long story short, the motor shaft that had a flat spot on it and it was sticking. A real nice worn spot. New motor should be here on Wed. SO thanks for all the help with this problem.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:54 AM   #20

Step Motor is installed and operational. It's a piece of cake when you have an idea what you're supposed to be doing. Thanks to all of you that help with advice.