Old 02-17-2018, 09:22 PM   #1

2401R Stereo Replacement

The best thing that can be said about the Jensen Stereo that came with our unit is that it was usable, but I finally go around to replacing it with an Android head unit wished I had done this sooner.

The install was relatively easy and the only things I had to give up was the satellite radio and DVD player neither of which I make use of. In return I now have a better GPS which uses both North American and Glasnost Satellites and the ability to use any Android app I chose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	162688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Install.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	162689  

gmclean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmclean View Post
The best thing that can be said about the Jensen Stereo that came with our unit is that it was usable, but I finally go around to replacing it with an Android head unit wished I had done this sooner.
Install looks great! How much work was involved? Also...what's make/model did you end up with?

Thanks!

Dave

Old 02-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Install looks great! How much work was involved? Also...what's make/model did you end up with?

Thanks!

Dave
Removal of the radio was actually quite easy I just watched a couple of YouTube videos on Sprinter Stereo replacement and then took my time removing the trim pieces.

Making the replacement wiring harness is what took me the most time, the kit I purchased off Ebay came with a plug & play harness but that has to be modified to tie in the camper speakers, it's not difficult to do just time consuming. I also replaced both the original GPS unit & mike with the ones included in the kit.

I spent a weekend doing this so total time was around 6-8 hrs but that also includes installing the optional dash cam.

Unit was purchased off Ebay from carJoying there are many other brands to choose from but this one did everything I needed and their customer support was very good they answered all my questions before I purchased from them.

Can't wait to get out on the road and make use of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	162735   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	162736   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	162737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	162738  
Old 02-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #4

Yikes! Lots of wires back there. Looks like some (all?) of them are labeled which I guess helps a little.

Anyway, great job getting it all put back together!

Dave
Old 02-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmclean View Post

The install was relatively easy and the only things I had to give up was the satellite radio and DVD player neither of which I make use of. In return I now have a better GPS which uses both North American and Glasnost Satellites and the ability to use any Android app I chose.
Nice install!!! Great idea to go with an android unit. Is the FM reception better? What about the audio quality?
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:12 AM   #6

Both seem to be better but it's sitting in my driveway so I won't know for sure till we take it out in a couple of months.

When we purchased it the previous owners had removed the sub, hoping to replace that soon then the audio should he perfect for our needs.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #7

I went the same route - thats is the one I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very similar to what gmclean bought and installed, so no additional pictures needed.

I love that radio 100% - I think the Jenson was ok but this one is soooo much better. Way better reception and a real smooth scrolling touchscreen!

Radio comes preloaded with Igo Primo and being a android 7 computer you can load whatever Gps system you want or customize Igo even with newer maps.
Or connect your phone (mirrow) either with USB or hotspot to the radio - it is plain perfect.

I love that radio so much that I bought a second one for my Chevy Blazer!
Hans

Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, stereo