Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

2401w Heating Question

Why, when I'm off shore power and turn on the furnace, only gas furnace comes on. However, if I'm connected to power and turn on the heat both furnace and overhead heat pump comes on. Not a problem other than it's very loud, but more curious as to why that would be.

Adventures in my 2017 Forester 2401w
rshellhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Team

RV furnaces are propane only and runs on 12v.
The heat pump is 110v only.

When you don't have shore power, only the furnace can run
When you do have shore power, then the pump can also run.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
RV furnaces are propane only and runs on 12v.
The heat pump is 110v only.

When you don't have shore power, only the furnace can run
When you do have shore power, then the pump can also run.
I also noticed that when only furnace is on, only floor vents have hot air, not ceiling vents. Ceiling vents work only for heat pump or AC. Is this correct?
Old 10-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
I also noticed that when only furnace is on, only floor vents have hot air, not ceiling vents. Ceiling vents work only for heat pump or AC. Is this correct?
Yes, furnace uses floor vents and a/c uses ceiling vents.
I don't have a heat pump so can't comment.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #5

Not sure the heat pump is actually creating heat, just circulating air. When I actually switched controller to heat pump the furnace turned off and pump air felt a little warmer. Just don't understand why on ac you can't just turn on furnace withou the noise.

Suggestion ... If you don't have the same setup as in the 2401w it doesn't help if you're guessing and comment. Hold it please.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #6

The simple solution to the A/C fan coming on when LP furnace runs

I suppose it is wired that way to 'circulate' the heat generated by the furnace. The problem is the blasted ceiling unit is LOUD. Combine the tolerable furnace noise with the ducted ceiling fan, and it is REALLY LOUD.

The solution is to just turn the breaker off to the A/C. The furnace and digital thermostat will continue to work normally. That's what I do.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

A related question to furnace use - while dry camping we used it only briefly, fearing it may draw battery power. Does furnace use battery at all? If so, how much?
Old 10-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshellhammer View Post
Not sure the heat pump is actually creating heat, just circulating air. When I actually switched controller to heat pump the furnace turned off and pump air felt a little warmer. Just don't understand why on ac you can't just turn on furnace withou the noise.

Suggestion ... If you don't have the same setup as in the 2401w it doesn't help if you're guessing and comment. Hold it please.
Check you thermostat and ensure that your fan is in the auto position. there are many threads about this
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #9

x2
The ac/heat pump fan should shut off when thermostat reaches desired temperature.

As an alternative when using shore power, I use a small electric ceramic heater I bought from Walmart for not much over $20. Works well and is a lot quieter than running the noisy wind tunnel heat pump.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
A related question to furnace use - while dry camping we used it only briefly, fearing it may draw battery power. Does furnace use battery at all? If so, how much?
yes.
how much depends on how long the furnace fan runs. that's the big power eater.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #11

Lots going on in this thread...

The furnace is propane fired and controlled by 12 volts DC (battery). The furnace air handler (fan) is also 12 volts DC. The furnace blows air through the floor registers.

The heat pump is part of your air conditioner. The air conditioner runs on 120 volts AC and blows through the ceiling vents.

Heat strips are resistant heat elements that are an add-on accessory to the ac unit... for those that don't have a heat pump but want something in addition to or instead of the furnace.

The ac unit and furnace are two completely independent systems than can run independently of each other, however they are usually controlled by a single thermostat so they are prevented from running at the same time. Don't need cold and hot air together. For those with heat pumps, can you run that and the furnace at the same time?

For this question: "Just don't understand why on ac you can't just turn on furnace without the noise." I'm not sure I understand the question. Why would you turn on the ac (cold air) and the furnace (hot air) at the same time? As far as noise.. the ac makes noise from both the compressor (little noise) and the air handler (lots of noise). The furnace makes noise from both the propane burning (little noise) and the air handler (lots of noise). If your trying to run the heat pump, you will have the same noise, as it is just the same ac running, except it is moving the refrigerant in the opposite direction.

Although the thermostat controls both the ac and furnace, they are independent systems that have nothing to do with each other. The heat pump's hot air and the furnace's hot air are not co-mingling.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #12

Although the thermostat controls both the ac and furnace, they are independent systems that have nothing to do with each other. The heat pump's hot air and the furnace's hot air are not co-mingling.[/QUOTE]

With that said the fan control on the digital stat does control both that is the reason for it needing to be placed in auto when using the furnace if you don't want the AC/heat pump fan to start.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #13

I'm not hooked to shore power now so can't check but did change the menu from "lo" which must have been the default, to "auto". See if that helps next time. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm finding there's lots to learn about these things

Tags
heating