Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagntail View Post
this is not my generator. mine has the control panel in the middle and there is no apparent breaker. mine is a onan 3600 LP
Remove the cover on the gen. next to the start switch and to the side you should find the gen breaker (looks like a plastic switch). Take it to fully off (reset) and back to on. An easy way to see if the gen is giving you AC power is to look at your Microwave front panel. If it is lite you have AC power.

This image may not look exactly like your gen, but will give an idea of where breaker is located.

The video is for a 4000, but component locations are the same or close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gen.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	118506  
Old 08-27-2016, 04:46 AM   #22

I also have the 3.6 LP and the breaker on the genny is along the right side... I had the same issue and I figured may as well do a reset and see what happens. Now works.

I do not have an auto transfer switch. I have to plug my 30Amp cord into a receptacle in the electrical box to complete the genny circuit

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #23

Woohoo, found the generator breaker and it was hidden behind a tube but with all the help, finally found it and now my AC works on generator alone!!! Thank you everyone.

Now my next question, about how long can I use the propane generator to power the AC and fridge? Won't need the AC at night probably but will need the propane during the day to keep fridge cold and AC on. It was a 9.8 lb propane tank.

wagntail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #24

I had a similar problem on a new 2017 Forester 2401R. Try reseting the breaker on the generator. It is a little black switch near the oil dip stick. For me that didn't fix the problem. I determined there was AC power when connected to shore power but not when running the generator. I found that the factory had wired the generator transfer switch wrong. When the generator was running it provided power to the shore power connection. I had to reverse 4 wires on the transfer switch to correct the problem. You can test for this by putting a volt meter on the shore power terminals with generator running. If you have voltage you have the same problem. This shouldn't happen since it is a safety issue. The generator is backfeeding the shore power and if anyone touched the shore power cord or terminals they would be shocked.
cpottey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #25

This should never happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpottey View Post
I had a similar problem on a new 2017 Forester 2401R. Try reseting the breaker on the generator. It is a little black switch near the oil dip stick. For me that didn't fix the problem. I determined there was AC power when connected to shore power but not when running the generator. I found that the factory had wired the generator transfer switch wrong. When the generator was running it provided power to the shore power connection. I had to reverse 4 wires on the transfer switch to correct the problem. You can test for this by putting a volt meter on the shore power terminals with generator running. If you have voltage you have the same problem. This shouldn't happen since it is a safety issue. The generator is backfeeding the shore power and if anyone touched the shore power cord or terminals they would be shocked.
This sort of safety defect should never happen. There should be multiple checks and inspections for things that can cause bodily harm. It's one thing for screws to be overdriven and other shoddy workmanship - but the lack of quality control for this sort of thing is inexcusable. Could have also been caught by the dealer, but I wouldn't expect the dealer to double check all of the 120 volt wiring.

The standard line that seems to come from FR "when humans are involved..." doesn't hold water on something like this. Clearly a lack of process and quality control. This just reinforces my views about this particular manufacturer and from the words of others - most of this industry.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagntail View Post
Woohoo, found the generator breaker and it was hidden behind a tube but with all the help, finally found it and now my AC works on generator alone!!! Thank you everyone.

Now my next question, about how long can I use the propane generator to power the AC and fridge? Won't need the AC at night probably but will need the propane during the day to keep fridge cold and AC on. It was a 9.8 lb propane tank.

Running the ac will suck up your propane for the generator so it won't last as long as you might think....my question is "why don't you run your fridge on propane?"

Tags
electric, generator, propane