Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #1

Adding air to valve extenders on MBS?

As an arthritic geezer with bad knees, I find it extremely difficult to add air to my Class C MBS tires while on a trip. It's not too bad at home where I have a sizeable air compressor and long hoses, but even then it take me an hour to coax air into a tire when I only need six or eight more pounds of pressure. So my question: What do you use if and when you need to add air and you're not near a well-quipped truck stop or RV shop? Thanks for any advice you might have.
Blue Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
2012 Solera

I have an old 12 volt piston type compressor - small, some German brand I “inherited” in the trunk of an old Mercedes. Several on the forum seem to like the ViAir compressors. My compressor has an easy to read gauge.

I believe the “trick” is to have a solid, leak free, hands free connection to the valve extender. Mine is”screw on / screw off”. I also have used a “bicycle pump” connector with a lever - press it on til I here air, actuate the lever - stops hissing and stays on hands free. Then let the compressor run until the gauge on the compressor shows 3 or 4 pounds over the “target” - I lose some pressure removing the hose from the valve extender. The compressor can take several minutes to get the tire to pressure - but I’ comfortably not squatting and holding the hose end on the valve extender.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
Coach

Even a small pancake style compressor you can travel with would be helpful. They hold plenty of air to top off, just make sure to set the regulator well above your desired pressure. If you need 80psi and set the regulator at 80 psi, it will take forever to fill. If you set the regulator at 100 or 120, will go much faster. Extensions make me nervous due to more opportunities for leaks to develop.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:30 PM   #4

I too have very painful arthritis ... My solution ... A lightweight folding chair. Even with valve extenders, I have to sit on chair to even check tire pressure or add air, and it would near impossible for reach the valves without the extenders. Recently had new extenders put on at Les Schawb tire -- cost me $14.00.
Never had air lose caused by a valve extender. I have old valve extenders damaged from rubbing on a portion of the rim. That damaged wore a hole into the side of the extender so that it leaked when I tried checking tire pressure. New extenders fixed the problem.
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:27 AM   #5

Those awful tire valve extensions supplied by FR were driving me crazy.

Finally took it to Les Schwab tires. Sold me four braided steel extensions for about $90 and installed them free. This includes riveting the hoses to the wheel covers.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
Wait till next year...

Still have the original rear extenders on rear inside duallies, found rubber handhold stabilizers that fit the rims keep them secure. Tst507 pass thru sensors make it easy to check tire pressures before travel.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:22 AM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
Even a small pancake style compressor you can travel with would be helpful. They hold plenty of air to top off, just make sure to set the regulator well above your desired pressure. If you need 80psi and set the regulator at 80 psi, it will take forever to fill. If you set the regulator at 100 or 120, will go much faster. Extensions make me nervous due to more opportunities for leaks to develop.
I bought one of the "hot dog" style compressors from Harbor Freight - on sale with the 20% coupon, I think I paid about $40 I stow it in the compartment that also has the dump valve - it's sectioned off, so there's no possibility of breaking something off.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #8

I use a battery powered Ryobi portable compressor from Home Depot. Have to buy batteries and charger separately.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
I use a battery powered Ryobi portable compressor from Home Depot. Have to buy batteries and charger separately.
X2! I already had my Ryobi battery powered trimmer when I saw the portable hand-held pump(looks like a portable drill!) so I bought mine(w/o the battery)
at Lowes for less than $20-. Comes with a ft. long flex hose that clamps onto the stem(easy!) and a fairly(?) accurate gauge on the back. On my Solera it pumps the 16" tires up around 3-4 lbs. \ minute...great for topping off, etc. It always seems to underfill by around 2 lbs. as per the gauge and I always check it with a digital tire gauge for accuracy. Be sure to store the charger with the unit so that you can quick charge the battery when you need it. Not very noisy either(I also wrapped a heavy rubber band around the handle and slip it over the trigger to keep it running when filling and do not store the battery engaged with the pump as you could inadvertently run the battery down without knowing it depending on where you store it). Case closed...
Old 07-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge View Post
As an arthritic geezer with bad knees, I find it extremely difficult to add air to my Class C MBS tires while on a trip. It's not too bad at home where I have a sizeable air compressor and long hoses, but even then it take me an hour to coax air into a tire when I only need six or eight more pounds of pressure. So my question: What do you use if and when you need to add air and you're not near a well-quipped truck stop or RV shop? Thanks for any advice you might have.
Man I here ya !!!
Screwed up spine here also,,, on a trip to SD in June I found a Tripod Folding stool @ Cabelas just for jobs like this,,, it has a 300 lb capacity,,, I do not find one like it now,,, but Amazon has one just like it,,, with a 250 lb capacity !!!
This is also the reason I installed a TPMS to our Sunseeker before our trip to SD !!! I love knowing how much air pressure is in the tires without trying to check them !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:26 AM   #11

Best thing I have found to use and it comes in handy for other things, sit on five gallon bucket, of course turned over. or upholster the lid with thick cushion, Grandfather and I used those when we went fishing ,
Old 07-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORKLIFMAN View Post
Best thing I have found to use and it comes in handy for other things, sit on five gallon bucket, of course turned over. or upholster the lid with thick cushion, Grandfather and I used those when we went fishing ,
Right On I have 2 of those with upholstered snap on tops !!!
One is a 5 gallon & one is a 6 gallon,,, they are great around the garage & barn,,, the great thing about the tripod seat is it folds up and has a shoulder strap!!! fits nicely in a storage compartment !!!

Old 07-22-2018, 09:15 PM   #13

There are lots of threads here on valve extenders, and you can certainly look those up.
The "airless" factory extenders, well, they suck for lack of a better description. It shouldn't take you that long to check and fill to proper pressure (and this is coming from a guy with a fused back, left knee total replacement and 2 scopes on the right knee).
Here's a tip: I use HD semi-truck rubber extenders that are zip tied in place to the wheel covers. The wheel covers are also zip-tied in place to the rims. I know others will have "better" options, but that's what I do and have never had any issues.
If the valve stem extenders are secured in place with the zip ties, that cuts 90 percent of the time off of checking tire pressure. Also, even though I do have a Harbor Freight pancake compressor, I do have a high dollar gage to check the tire pressure.
Good luck!
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #14

On our Sunseeker I find it helps to hold valve stem extension with large needle nose pliers,,,when trying to add air,,, or remove the freaking hub caps !!!
PNTA !!! Love our TPMS !!!

Tags
valve