Old 07-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #1

Advice on preventive maintenance of 2401 W wall slide

After taking our rig out a few times now, I hear different squeaks and rubs and groans each time we extend and retract our wall slide. I have to think there is some tender loving care that must come along with having that wonderful giant wall slide. Any advice from fellow 2400W owners or the reps on this forum?

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401W

Old 07-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #2

I don't think there is anything to do. Just look under the slide to see if the rollers are good. Don't stop midway and keep pushing the button for a couple of seconds after it stops going in or out. You will hear it stall. That will keep both motors in sync. Don't lube anything. Mine makes all kinds of noises. I think it's the nature off the beast.

Also, I don't keep much weight in the compartments that come out with the slide...or on the floor of the dinette

Old 07-19-2016, 07:05 AM   #3

I was concerned with how much weight is being held up when people are sitting at the dinette while driving. If you look under the slide when it's in, there is nothing holding it up inside. The outside rollers are the only thing holding it up. So you pile some people and a bunch of stuff in the pantry and all that weight wants to push the bottom of the slide wall outwards and the top wants to pull in. You can stand on the edge of the slide by the table and bounce a little and see how much it moves up and down. I made some wooden blocks with carpet on the bottom side and mounted them under the bench area just below the metal framework. Now when the slide is in, the weight is resting on the blocks/floor. I can jump up and down on the edge of the slide and it doesn't move or make a bunch of creaking sounds. It doesn't help all the crazy noises it makes when you are operating the slide though.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
clr

If you look into the LCI site you will see that the only lub that they recommend for the slides is CRC with PTFE. I use this lub as recommended by them on my unit and it does make a world of difference in the operation of the slides.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #5

Yep, I was wrong again...
https://youtu.be/gXw9I_DoAvI
Old 07-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #6

I use a lubricant made for slides. I found it at Camping World. I also read on this Forum that when bringing in slide, after it is back in, wait 5-10 seconds before releasing the button to allow it to reset.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
I use a lubricant made for slides. I found it at Camping World. I also read on this Forum that when bringing in slide, after it is back in, wait 5-10 seconds before releasing the button to allow it to reset.
Never heard that one before,maybe so, but, once the clutch ratchets 2X, at either end of travel, get off the button.

X2 on the Dry Lube with PTFE. I usually wipe off both of the tubes with the rack gear on it and spray especially the top side of the tube. Looks like a bushing or bearing between the tubes that I like to see the PTFE get to
jeff64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #8

Wow - thanks, everyone. Will look into that lube. Can't help but have a healthy respect for potential failure on that massive slide ... and a desire to manage factors within my control to prevent. How often dos the slide need to be lubed?
Old 07-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #9

Being level is very important! I typically add a 2x12 under both rear tires and the front tire on the slide side to neutralize the weight of the slide when extended...otherwise MH is out of level after slide is extended, even when it started level. I think this puts less pressure on the whole extension process.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #10

You will probably get a bunch of opinions as to what to use to treat your rubber slide seals and flaps.
But, hands down, the best is 303 Aerospace Protectant. It was originally formulated for rubber and vinyl, only, and it works.
Spray it on your inner and outer seals and flaps, don't forget the top and seals under the slide.
Also great to use on vinyl decals and graphics.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Currently on a 3 month, 12,000 mile trip.
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, slide, vent