Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #1

AGM batteries

So in doing the "look over" of my 2400WS I saw the OEM batteries needed topping off. In checking the battery box I saw a small area where surface rust had started. This is a 2018 model, 2017 chassis. The rust outlined the right battery, which needed topping off. Keeping up with this forum I remember a post about AGM (sealed) batteries. I have used AGM's in my vehicles for years. At having had zero battery box rust issues with my other four vehicles (one is 12 yrs old with battery in trunk), I decided to do the same with the RV. After a buff, clean, and spray of the box, I put the AGM's in. The OEM batteries were group 27, I upped to group 31. Go big right??? It was a tight fit. Glad they are sealed. Placed 'em in at the same time in a sideways and drop in manner. A bit heavy of this old guy ya know? I didn't test the old batteries state of charge. At times, a slow motor drag was noted with the slide out. With the new batteries the slide out motors are singing.... Yes expensive, yes heavy, yes old ones weren't old, but for me and my use and no venting acid; worth the expense and effort. With my OCD nature and preventative maintenance belief, the investment in keeping these rigs there best is a no brainer for me. Pay to play ya know? Thanks for reading and keep posting. Happy safe travels to all....
63timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:06 AM   #2

the two big advantages that i see to AGM is the lack of venting / corrosion and no need to check / add water. the disadvantage is the increased cost.

an open point that is brought up almost daily in the forums is the need for proper AGM charging voltages. there are apparently converters that either have specific AGM charging profiles or allow the user to create their own charging profile. others of us have converters that have fixed charging profiles. so we may not get the absolute optimum charging AGM charging experience, but i wonder how far from optimum these fixed converters are and how much do they affect the AGM performance / lifespan?

did you have any converter issues when you replaced your lead acid with AGM batteries? what converter do you have and did you make any adjustments to it?
Old 08-29-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

Thumbs up

Many of the mods done to RVs are done to 'float the boat' of the owner but this sounds like a worthy upgrade as the motor drag was eliminated, future maintenance reduced, and aesthetics improved. Nice!
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #4

Chickdo reply

I am by no means and educated Electrican. Only a bachelors degree in nursing, many years ago. Just a lifelong love of wrenching on cars and self reliance. PhD in life experience.... LOL. My coach came with a Progressive Dynamics PD4000 controller. Time will tell how efficient it will be related to AGM batteries longevity. Less than 24 hours of use since install. Going on a trip this labor day weekend. I’ll check back in with updates. Sorry, hope my ignorance is of some help.....
63timbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries