Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #21

When will the "experiment" END. There is no need for any of this nonsense. We are now the worlds largest oil producer, and as such, there is no need to make it difficult during travel to find acceptable fuel, that doesn't cause possible warranty issues in case of engine damage.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
When will the "experiment" END. There is no need for any of this nonsense. We are now the worlds largest oil producer, and as such, there is no need to make it difficult during travel to find acceptable fuel, that doesn't cause possible warranty issues in case of engine damage.

The Government mandates the use of Bio-Fuel and does not consider the manufactures issue with the use. Look at the state of MN and there mandate on diesel fuel; just to name one state. See attached article.
About the Minnesota Biodiesel Program
Old 11-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #23

It's not an experiment. It was a decision. It looks good on the drawing board. It may have come off of Wiley E. Coyote's drawing board. The refineries are not happy. it is expensive and a pain in the rear. Fed likes it. it makes sense on the drawing board and stimulates soy production. I spoke with the Engineer from Mercedes North America. There is not a whole lot you can do about it, except be careful where you buy fuel. If you're traveling cross country there is not much that you can do about it.

I came upon my one year anniversary at 8500 miles. I had my one year service done. The engineer said that if I changed my oil and filter at that 8500 mi. interval that I should be safe. Well, there goes cost effect down the drain, unless I keep her around 8500 mi. per year.

SIDE NOTE:
i spoke with Pilot/Flying-J. They are using a 10% blend. (technically a warranty violation.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #24

ALERT!

I noticed that SuperAmerica (a prominent brand in these parts) does not carry a Biodiesel label on their pumps. I did speak with a station manager who checked her delivery records and said they show as B4. (</= B5 does not require a label.) she also said all SuperAmerica stations carry the same fuel, which I believe is accurate since they supply their own stations using their own branded trucks.) this is great news for this area.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #25

All commercially sold fossil Diesal is blended with a minimum of 5%. Bio
Over 5% must be labeled at the pump. Pilot flying a has 15%
Old 03-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
All commercially sold fossil Diesal is blended with a minimum of 5%. Bio
Over 5% must be labeled at the pump. Pilot flying a has 15%
Hey Phinias, can you give us your reference to proof your statement, that sure would inform us forum members where you found that information. Thanks
Old 03-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #27

Springboardbiodiesel.com
Old 03-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
Springboardbiodiesel.com
Looks like your reference deals with over all requirements to blend biodiesel with the good stuff in total gallon quantity in the US.
http://www.springboardbiodiesel.com/...iatives-global

Leave us alone, the experiment isn't working. Just sayin'
Old 03-14-2016, 11:46 PM   #29

Just wondering if any MBS owners around the country have had any difficulty finding 5% or less bio diesel.
Springboard Diesel based out of Chico, CA (where else?) sells biodiesel processing equipment so they definitely have a dog in this fight with the aim of promoting biofuel as much as possible.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Site Team has done a clean up of this thread. Please refrain from political comments and opinions. Keep to just facts. Thank you.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
Just wondering if any MBS owners around the country have had any difficulty finding 5% or less bio diesel.
Springboard Diesel based out of Chico, CA (where else?) sells biodiesel processing equipment so they definitely have a dog in this fight with the aim of promoting biofuel as much as possible.
Yes is the answer, it's hard enough to find right here in the Twin Cities where there are hundreds of diesel fuel stations. I have visited probably 15 or 20 (by car) to find what they were selling. Most had posted labels for B20 or the range B6-20 to cover their bases.

Minnesota has a 10% (B10) minimum requirement that will kick in May 1 and last for the summer months. There was a lawsuit challenging the state requirement filed last year but I haven't seen any update on it lately. I'm trying to get more info on it but it doesn't seem likely anything would change before May 1.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:53 AM   #32

Good information. I'm wondering if any forum member knows of a directory that has catalogued diesel stations around the country that sell B5 diesel. That would be helpful to Sprinter travelers. From a warranty perspective, how will burning B20 affect your warranty even though B5 is not available in MN?
Old 03-16-2016, 10:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Good information. I'm wondering if any forum member knows of a directory that has catalogued diesel stations around the country that sell B5 diesel. That would be helpful to Sprinter travelers. From a warranty perspective, how will burning B20 affect your warranty even though B5 is not available in MN?
There is a directory for drivers looking to buy biodiesel, but it's the reverse logic so not that helpful. The most helpful are those posted by sites such as TA and Flying J, perhaps other truck stop sites. They often show their B rating or their "biodiesel intent" (what they INTEND to have on hand though daily supply may vary so they would prefer you kindly not sue them if it's not there when you arrive....).

http://www.pilotflyingj.com/fuel-prices

http://www.ta-petro.com/location/
Old 03-16-2016, 11:47 PM   #34

These are very informative. Thank you for sharing them. I love the "Intended" bio diesel content expression. It is sort of like my intended days of church attendance. 😊
Old 03-16-2016, 11:50 PM   #35

Quote:
These are very informative. Thank you for sharing them. I love the "Intended" bio diesel content expression. It is sort of like my intended days of church attendance. 😊

Amen, brother!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 03-17-2016, 06:32 AM   #36

Should We Be Looking For An "Additive" ?

I have not been able to find B5 locally. I wonder if there is an additive that we could use to counter the higher content animal fat and vegetable oil they put in ?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
I have not been able to find B5 locally. I wonder if there is an additive that we could use to counter the higher content animal fat and vegetable oil they put in ?
Sure - fill the tank 1/2 full with B10 and then fill it up with pure diesel to dilute the biodiesel to B5.

Sorry - couldn't resist - but truly you can't remove the biodiesel components without your own refinery. It's not hurting your power or mileage, so you don't need a fuel additive type product (and MB warns against using any of them).
Old 03-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #38

Ok, here it is straight from the horse's mouth

mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/serviceandparts/biodiesel_Brochure5.pdf
Old 04-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #39

ALERT!

Just a quick update that I have the attention of our state senator on this issue. Minnesota has adopted a requirement of B10 for summer months which went into effect in 2015 and will go into effect again as of May 1, 2016. A further mandate to go to B20 is in the law for 2018. I'm discussing with our senator the possibility of deferring that change with some kind of a moratorium until more research can be done on the impact on motor vehicle engines. I have also identified one other state senator who is quite interested in this issue as she herself owns an affected diesel engine. However, she tried to delay the implementation during the 2014 legislative session and was unsuccessful. Perhaps there can be more success with the B20 standard because it is such a large change and still a couple of years out. However, there are massive agribusiness interests behind this legislation, as the law helps drive the demand for corn and soybeans and therefore helps drive the price of those commodities up.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #40

This reminds me....
Do I want number 1 or number 2 diesel in the summer?

Sorry. Canada only has one diesel.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS