Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

Almost a month into our trip in new 2400W

Well we're almost a month into our West Coast, 31 state, 12,000 mile trip. I must say I am impressed with the Mercedes part of the coach. Plenty of power and rides and drives nicely.... The good stuff all stops right there.

I posted earlier that my stabilizer jacks quit working... on the very first night we went camping. And of course they are still inoperative (over a month now) because FR warranty program SUCKS! No FR dealer will do warranty work if you're on the road. I was told 3-14 weeks to get an appointment to fix the jacks. Obviously they are still broke. How long do you think GM or FORD survive using this BS warranty avoidance program?

So, now my generator has quit running with 15.5 hours on it. We planned on using it while working our way up the California coast to Washington. We have a pet with us, so leaving him in the RV to do something as simple as going into a restaurant to eat, visit an attraction or go into a grocery is now impossible.

I called FR warranty service number (Coach-Net) about the Generator (and the Jacks which were never fixed).... I told them on July 7th that we would be in the North LA/Camarillo Ca. area from July 9th through the 15th. They call back with an appointment on the 21st. So, I suggested perhaps the Portland, Oregon area because we plan on stopping there for a week in the Columbia River gorge area, and I expected to be there from July 23rd to the 29th. They call me back and say I found a place near Portland they can get you in on the 18th! I explained we are leaving here (LA area) on the 15th.... I cannot get to Portland in 2 days without scrapping our entire west coast list of vacation visits. I told them "I'm driving right now can you email me the info so I can call them to try to get a later date".... reply, NO we don't email information.... you can call back tomorrow and get it from anyone who answers the phone. What a JOKE!

Additionally, I found a water leak (compression fitting not tight) behind the panel under the stovetop "pan drawer". After cleaning up the water mess and fixing the incompetent & sloppy installation.... what's next?

I have also emailed Kyle Davis, Class C Warranty Mgr. at Forest River with these problems and to date have not received an answer. This was after he told me directly (after the initial mechanical problem) "If you have any further problems at all feel free to call on me".

Wrapping it up.... I've previously owned a class C, and 2 Class A's.... I can assure you I will NEVER own another Forest River product of any kind, ever again! At this point I would not only not recommend a FR coach to anyone, I would tell family, friends and anyone else listening to stay as far away from Forest River as you can get!

And BTW what kind of sick incomplete joke is the FR owners manual? Pathetic!
Automatic_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #2

Sorry about your troubles. Have you tried to contact onan directly to look at the generator. They may have more service centers and better access. Your coach is so new they may look at the generator under warranty simply based on build date. Have you posted the generator symptoms on a string in the forums. Some members may have some insight and or recognize an easily fixed problem from experience.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Sorry about your troubles. Have you tried to contact onan directly to look at the generator. They may have more service centers and better access. Your coach is so new they may look at the generator under warranty simply based on build date. Have you posted the generator symptoms on a string in the forums. Some members may have some insight and or recognize an easily fixed problem from experience.
No, Rich I haven't contacted Onan directly, but it's a good idea I'll try it.
I was really relying on FR to look at my new RV through their warranty program.... what a mistake. It's like none exists.

The symptoms....
It was running fine then just suddenly quit running. It won't restart although it does fire like it wants to start. Of course the first thing I checked was the oil level and it was fine. When I called the "Coach-Net" folks, they had me go outside to the generator and push the prime side of the rocker switch 3 times. The red light on the rocker switch then started blinking 3 times repeatedly. A decal along side of the switch on the generator says.... 3 blinks = "Requires Service".

Without having lemon laws including RV's on the books, it allows these RV manufacturers to just put the screws to you as hard and often as they choose. GM or FORD would be bankrupt from lack of sales in 6 months if they treated their customers in this fashion.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #4

If your jacks are made by 'big foot'...

You can call BigFoot directly. Their technical support is terrific, and they answer 24x7 ! I just had a problem with the levelers on my 2015 24R. I called them and they diagnosed an 'air bubble', and walked me through fixing it.

The previous owner of my unit said they initially had problems with the levelers and it was diagnosed as a FR installation issue - they forgot to ground the levelers. Once grounded correctly they worked correctly.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #5

having owned previous units you should know that comparing the RV industry to the Auto industry warranty program is comparing apples and oranges. go to the mfg of the equipment directly as suggested there may be an easy fix.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #6

Well I tried calling Onan and of course they are closed.
So I did some internet ONAN error code reading procedures.

I went back out to the generator, tried to start it, of course no luck.
But after pushing the prime side 3 times the light started blinking 3 times again. (this just tells you that you have an error that requires service).

While the light was blinking 3 times repeatedly... I again pressed the prime button, this puts the generator into read mode, so it can tell you the actual error code.

Mine blinked 4 times, paused, then blinked 5 times....and repeats itself.
This tells me the ONAN error code is 45.

Why didn't Coach-Net know how to get the actual error code? ~ (incompetence)

The only thing I could find (internet) says the PCB control board is shorted out and/or burnt up. (speed sensor fault unable to read armature). With only 15.5 hours on Generator.

Sounds like there is no easy fix.... And no service centers willing to do FR warranty repairs.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #7

I just found a link to a manual but you already found how to check secondary codes.
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...QG4000_Man.pdf
Sounds like you need to find the closest Onan repair center.
Here is a link to find the service centers
You are being redirected...
Good luck
Old 07-12-2017, 06:10 AM   #8

The level of workmanship at any OHNO dealer will be far higher than at any RV dealers shop. They have diagnostic tools and parts on hand.

The leveling jacks could be cured probably over the phone , but most any RV place will understand the system.

Do it where you can , pay them , enjoy your vacation , and argue with FR or the jack maker when you get home over the cost of the fix.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
The level of workmanship at any OHNO dealer will be far higher than at any RV dealers shop. They have diagnostic tools and parts on hand.
OK, I'll bite. What's an "OHNO dealer"???

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #10

Sorry for your troubles. Definitely can relate. We had the same issues with our new Forester MBS on our maiden 3 week journey. Coach Net was useless as was the FR warranty customer no service representative.

Ended up taking it to Cummins/Onan when we got back home. Even then, I had to push them to properly diagnose. Turned out the inverter had failed (yes the diesel genny is actually an inverter style).

I know this doesn't help you but this industry is not customer focused - it's all about getting the products out the door and sold. Never again for me.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Sorry for your troubles. Definitely can relate. We had the same issues with our new Forester MBS on our maiden 3 week journey. Coach Net was useless as was the FR warranty customer no service representative.

Ended up taking it to Cummins/Onan when we got back home. Even then, I had to push them to properly diagnose. Turned out the inverter had failed (yes the diesel genny is actually an inverter style).

I know this doesn't help you but this industry is not customer focused - it's all about getting the products out the door and sold. Never again for me.

I found an ONAN sales & service center 12 miles from me in Ventura Ca. (Thanks to the link provided above) I'm going to call them this morning to see if they can get me in while I'm down here in southern Ca.

About the jacks... I had one coach-net person say I should apply to have it fixed by any authorized (jacks) repair facility and another tell me it would void my entire warranty. Like this BS program is even called a warranty is a joke!

My last stop before getting back home (1-1/2 to 2 months from now) is going to be in Elkhart Indiana, to get "everything" fixed....

FR should get back to reading these forums and responding (in real terms) to problems their current customers are having. Stay tuned in.....
Old 07-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #12

This reminds me that I need to send my weekly email to ForestRiver (Ron Ross) asking what I need to do to get warranty service on my new Prism. Getting a reply seems to be impossible. Perhaps I am being unrealistic in expecting at least an acknowledgement from the factory. Phone calls have not been returned either.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #13

I agree with Katana

Here is my honest experience.

Looking back on the 1.5 years we have owned our 2015 24R - for ALL PROBLEMS, I have had to work directly with the product vendor (and this forum) rather than FR - save one single solitary problem - the tail-light converter - which is theirs and theirs alone. It's the product vendors support, and the product vendors warranty that I have had success with - not FR or their warranty.

The FR warranty only has value if you bought it new from an 'exceptional dealer' that happens to be located near your home - otherwise it really does not have any value at home, or away from home. Brace yourself for a fight, multiple calls, multiple emails, poor workmanship, and loss of usage if you let someone else do the work at a 'typical' dealership.

Also - don't buy an 'extended warranty' - who did you just 'extended' ?
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #14

"OK, I'll bite. What's an "OHNO dealer"???"

Its what boating folks call an ONAN dealer.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #15

Well ONAN is a stand up company. And a special thanks to Rich for the link you provided to ONAN.

I called the Ventura Ca ONAN sales & service center. I have an appointment at 1:00 to get my generator diagnosed and hopefully repaired.

(Also getting windshield replaced Friday... victim of a BB gun in Utah)

This really has been a "trip".
Old 07-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #16

No thanks to FR!
Old 07-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #17

Just a thought on your hydraulics. If they are Lippert made...You might want to give them a call and find out 1. If they have a quick fix you can do OR 2. Give you a Lippert authorized service center who can look at them. Then I would call FR and ask them for permission to take the unit in and be reimbursed by FR. If you don't get a return call...send an email saying this is what you are doing. Then go ahead and get it done and pay for it and enjoy your vacation. I don't think the levelers are gonna be a big deal to fix and FR is usually pretty good about reimbursment when you're on the road and have clearly been put out by a product failure. Keep good records & good luck.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #18
2012 Solera

It has been four years since my FR warranty experience, but it sounds like nothing much has changed.
What I learned is to buy the parts (typically from Amazon) and do it myself or use an independent RV repair shop (preferably with prior FR approval), and send a copy of the the receipts to FR requesting reimbursement. I found the independent repair shops faster and more competent than the dealer (by a large measure). They depend on repairs (rather than sales) for their livelihood, so have to do a good job - or go out of business.
So - I came to consider the FR warranty as a reimbursement policy for parts and/or repairs I or my identified independent performed. Arranging for the repairs became my responsibility. Some risk FR might deny reimbursement, but worth the risk to me to avoid lose of service of the vehicle and hastle with FR and the dealer.
FYI
Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #19

ONAN Service Center in Ventura is a great place to work with. They took my RV in on a moments (4 hours) notice. They ended up having to remove the generator to make the necessary repairs. As I expected the 45 code was either/both the speed sensor on the armature... and possibly a burnt PCB board. They expect to have it repaired and then reinstalled for me by tomorrow. I asked them if the ONAN warranty would cover the repairs and she replied yes, 100%. That's what I call A+ customer service.

Great lesson learned too. Unfortunately you can NEVER rely on Forest River for -anything- outside of your original dealership. If your repairs are covered by a separate manufacturers warranty go directly to the source. I have now also called MORryde stabilizer jacks directly in Elkhart In. They had me email them the last 8 of VIN and a picture of jacks. They're supposed to call me back.

~I asked for technical help regarding a brand new set of their jacks on my new motorhome... They sent me to parts dept. Maybe it's just something in the water in Elkhart, Indiana~

I'll get in touch with the right person eventually.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #20

Sorry you're having so many issues. When our 1 year warranty was about up I took our Solera R to the nearest dealership ( was not a FR dealership) and they coordinated with FR to repair all of the shake down items. I realize this is much different then being on the road but at least they did take care of everything that wasn't working perfectly or needed repair. I also had a problem with the chassis and MB took care of it under the Sprinter warranty. My best advice is to drive the MH as much as possible to continue to get all the shake down items fixed via any means possible. Some small stuff it's easier to fix yourself then take to the dealer. That said good luck with your new rig. I hope it brings you many years of satisfaction.

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote