Old 07-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #1

Another Coast to Coast in our 24M

Well weíre off on another run to the east coast. We left home this morning and 275 miles later were on the edge of the Colorado river in needles. It was 118 at 3 pm in the shade. This is gonna be our first time towing. A dolly with E brakes and moms Elantra are coupled up out back. First tank climbing out of the LA basin was 14.82 mpg measured. Not bad. No sway or noise. Iíll post some pics along the way. Headed for Cherry Point NC. I was stationed there on the Helo base at New River in 66-67. Want to hit some of the beach towns again. I was an MP there. Letís see how this trip turns out.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

Safe journey!

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:08 PM   #3

We have a 2016 Prism 24G and dolly tow (surge brakes) a 2015 Sonic RS Hatchback (2800 lbs). Typical towing mileage is about 15 over 3k+ miles. We tow at 60-62mph. No issues at all in the moutains of MT, WY or UT.

I wonder if some of those same places you were an MP are still open??

Enjpy you're trip!!

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #4

How long do you think it will take you to get to NC?
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #5

Sounds like a great trip. I was shore patrol in San Diego and I seriously doubt that any of the bars I frequented are still there. They were falling down then.

I have some 24M questions for you;

What do you carry in each of your outside storage compartments? I am having a hard time figuring out what should go where. Our first trip starts Wednesday.

Where do you carry your dump hose? I have mine in a bag in a tub in the slide compartment but would like to put it somewhere on the outside.

Thanks
2004 Bluebird M380 (sold)
GeoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #6

Road trip

Keep us posted. Going I 40 all the way? Asking because we are leaving northern CA next month for Knoxville. Road problems? We'll be flat towing our Fiat 500 with our 2401R .
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
How long do you think it will take you to get to NC?

About another 8 days. Doing only 250 to 300 per day. Coming home last trip final day was 800 miles. I wanted my bed.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDoc View Post
Sounds like a great trip. I was shore patrol in San Diego and I seriously doubt that any of the bars I frequented are still there. They were falling down then.

I have some 24M questions for you;

What do you carry in each of your outside storage compartments? I am having a hard time figuring out what should go where. Our first trip starts Wednesday.

Where do you carry your dump hose? I have mine in a bag in a tub in the slide compartment but would like to put it somewhere on the outside.

Thanks

Mines in the slide too. Next trip it will be in a box tube out back. My tall right rear has my folding mobility scooter in it. Along with tools, fluids, outside mat. Chairs,bug tent, spare tire for the dolly is in the cars trunk. We really didnít think we were gonna keep the coach. But my health got a bit better so weíre back on the road. I donít think storage was well thought out but we are learning more every run.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclmac View Post
Keep us posted. Going I 40 all the way? Asking because we are leaving northern CA next month for Knoxville. Road problems? We'll be flat towing our Fiat 500 with our 2401R .

Nothing big so far. Some lane closures today outside flagstaff that are long term but only down to 45mph. So far 40ís been smooth sailing.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgeri View Post
Mines in the slide too. Next trip it will be in a box tube out back. My tall right rear has my folding mobility scooter in it. Along with tools, fluids, outside mat. Chairs,bug tent, spare tire for the dolly is in the cars trunk. We really didn’t think we were gonna keep the coach. But my health got a bit better so we’re back on the road. I don’t think storage was well thought out but we are learning more every run.

Hey Bob - Glad to hear the health is better and you are traveling!!

What's the OCCC on the 2016 Prism 24M? On the 2016 Prism 24G it's 1656# - when I weighed at the Cat scales a year ago, I was about 300# under (10,700) with about 550# of passengers, 3/4 diesel, full propane and 1/3 water. We didn't have the toad then.

We're leaving in about a week for 3 weeks to the WA/OR coast. I'll have the toad on the dolly and have lightened a few things (I lost 10# )so I will weigh again as we pass the Cat scales to see the effect of the dolly/toad.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote