Old 05-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #1

Another Roof Leak at Front Cap

I did a ton of research before purchasing my 2401R. so the first thing I did once I purchased it, was to apply Enterna Bond tape to all the roof seals the first year of ownership no problems. Took it out today to get ready for an upcoming trip and as soon as I left my driveway I got a rather unpleasant shower from all the water streaming out of the headliner.

Since then I have been up on the roof and can't find any visible signs of a leak but on the lower cap section on both sides, I noticed that there is an unsealed hole. I doubt this is to allow water to escape but before I seal it wanted to check to make sure it should be as well as any other areas I should pay more attention to. I have checked all lights and they look just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Leak.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	172044   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Leak1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	172045  

gmclean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmclean View Post
I did a ton of research before purchasing my 2401R. so the first thing I did once I purchased it, was to apply Enterna Bond tape to all the roof seals the first year of ownership no problems. Took it out today to get ready for an upcoming trip and as soon as I left my driveway I got a rather unpleasant shower from all the water streaming out of the headliner.

Since then I have been up on the roof and can't find any visible signs of a leak but on the lower cap section on both sides, I noticed that there is an unsealed hole. I doubt this is to allow water to escape but before I seal it wanted to check to make sure it should be as well as any other areas I should pay more attention to. I have checked all lights and they look just fine.

Youíll keep getting it until you replace that seal along the seems. Take that Screw out and just pull that crap off of there and you can get totally brand new rolls at the RV place. I get it at camping world just because I love to window shop at RV places and camping world Just happens to be the biggest RV place I have went to. Then you are going to need to buy the self-leveling caulk and caulk the piss out of those seems. Making damn sure no holes are in the caulk. Self leveling usually does pretty good. But itís up to us as owners to make sure of that. After that Iíd probably go check from the inside thereís no damage. Some people would say check it first but we need to stop the leak before it gets any worse than evaluate what youíve got and decide how you want to fix it.

Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #3

Fantastic vent fan leak

Seems we have same issue, but with the automatic Fantastic vent fan. We have a 2013 Columbus Palimino 5th wheel & never had any issues until now. It was covered all winter and removed it a month ago. Since we have had a rainy month we discovered the leak when we came to get it ready for the season. Any suggestions? We removed the inside frame & can see the water dripping in, but on the roof there isnt any crackes, holes or indications where its coming from..
Please any help would be greatly appreciated..
Wakeda17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #4

Quote:

Another spot to check and re-seal are the running lights on the cap. We have been leak-free for two years, but drove through a driving rain in Mississippi, and both DW and I got a nice stream of water at each corner of the cab near the visors. Went up there and found all the lenses loose in their mounts. I sealed it with silicon, but donít really know if itís fixed, as the rain we encountered was pretty epic. I have read several posts over the last couple of years about these things leaking.

Best of luck!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #5

Quote:

I had the same issue when my 2016 2401W was brand new. After reading many posts, the main culprit appears to be the roof joint between the coach body and the front cap. My dealer recaulked it and hasn't been a problem since. But I would focus on that particular joint as a candidate for resealing.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #6

Thank you one and all for your information and suggestions! We had to come back home and covered the fan area with a rubber rain gear. Hoping Cape Cod doesn't get anymore rain until we get this fixed.
Wakeda17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

I can relate to your frustration over this issue. I was doused two times and my entertainment unit in the overhead had to be replaced by FR due to water damage. My dealer's service department could not fix the leak problem though they tried several times.

After my warranty was up, I took my coach to my normal RV service shop. The owner took me on a tour of the various rigs awaiting repair. There were 7 FR rigs in his yard, 5 were Class C's and 2 were 5th wheels. All of them had the same problem - leaking water from the front cap.

After years of servicing coaches, he had come up with a solution to the problem which was to completely remove all sealant up and around the front cap. Then reseal the joints. Finally, they put a strip of 6" eternabond tape over the joint - yes 6" wide tape. They also resealed the front marker lights.

At that time, all his suppliers were out of 6" tape and the FR rigs were all waiting for the shipment to arrive.

He stated that the eternabond tape has some give to allow the joint to flex slightly without breaking any seal. It's been two years now and NO LEAKS.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #8

Roof Leaks

Greetings. We have a 2016 3011 DS which we purchased new. Shortly after we bought it we also had the roof leak in the front overhead cab as well as the rear over the bed area. In addition, the rear drivers side storage bay leaked badly. Very frustrating. It was still under warranty at that time and after numerous trips back to the dealer we don't seem to have the leaks any more.
We took a short trip to Florida earlier this year and are getting ready to take a much longer one, a little over 3,000 miles. Fingers crossed we don't have anymore surprises.
JerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #9

I had a Newmar motorhome and had the same issue. I backed out of driveway and a little water came from under entertainment center above the dash. I pulled and sealed the outside overhead light covers with butyl tape where it meets motorhome and caulked around tops and sides of light covers. No more leaks. I checked and did not see any damage.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #10

I will agree that after using eternabond (4") on the roof and sealing around the running lights we resolved all leaks to the cap and the waterfall it created through the dome light / visor area. Our solution to the water in the cap was to remove the dome light (no easy task) and use a siphon pump fed over the visible support beam into the bottom of the cap. got about 8 gallons the first time. Snake eye camera confirmed we got it all.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #11

Since I already had Eternabond on the cap seal, I resealed the clearance lights this afternoon as well as the sealing the gaps at the bottom of the front cap. Hopefully, this will take care of my leak only time will tell.

Thanks for all the advice it's why I enjoy being a part of this community.

gmclean is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roo, roof