Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Any MB Class C at 28 feet?

Ok.....I know this is a pro Forest River forum, but I’m asking for some people that we met who are ready to look at buying instead of renting. Our Class A Georgetown 330TS was too long/big for what they envision. I mentioned the
Hershey RV Show 2019 if they want to it all.

They mentioned they might want a Mercedes 3500 chassis under a motorhome of no less than 28 feet.....but remember they’re newbies. The rental Class C units they’ve rented to date are Ford units, and less than that, so that’s what they’re basing things on. I also mentioned a lot of Class C rentals have corner beds, usually a combined kitchen/dining, and a lot of them have beds over the cockpit they’ll never use....so they become a dumping ground.

They wondered why the Ford E350/E450 power plants have the lengths they might like, but ARE there MB units much over 24-25 feet?
I’m thinking Sunseeker, Forester, Lexington, Isata 3?....without the bunks overhead, any models from THOR, WINNEBAGO, LEISURE TRAVEL VANS might offer something for them to see.

Can anyone seriously help without this becoming a brand bashing thread?

Thanks.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #2

It's my understanding that Mercedes limits the length to 25 ft. Even at the 24ft 11in that we have, you are very limited by weight.
gmccullers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #3

I think the MBS coach builders already extend the chassis by about 3 feet to get to the upper 24ft range. To get to 28 ft would likely require a 6+ ft extension and I'm guessing would be too much weight and would likely exceed the chassis max design limits.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #4

Mercedes Chassis has nothing longer than 24 feet.
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #5

Actually, my rear slide Prism 24G model is about 28 ft with the rear slide extended.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 07-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Actually, my rear slide Prism 24G model is about 28 ft with the rear slide extended.
That's true, and when I have my toad attached - it's over 32 feet. BUT MB will still not at this time build a HOUSE on a CHASSIS that is over 24 feet long - minus any extensions attached.
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egalt View Post
That's true, and when I have my toad attached - it's over 32 feet. BUT MB will still not at this time build a HOUSE on a CHASSIS that is over 24 feet long - minus any extensions attached.

agree

Mike and JoAnne
Old 07-23-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
Old Engineer

Our Dynamax Isata 3 24RW is a 24 foot MB chassis with a 3 foot rear pullout for the queen bed, so 28 feet overall.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #9

Keep an eye on the Dynamax Motorhomes thread... they are planning a 30’ unit on a Dodge chassis (Isata 5 line) powered by Cummins. This unit will have plenty of carrying capacity and towing capability. As others have said, the MBS chassis is maxed out at 25’.
Rkloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleckDreher View Post
Our Dynamax Isata 3 24RW is a 24 foot MB chassis with a 3 foot rear pullout for the queen bed, so 28 feet overall.

I guess people want to travel with all 28 ft available and not just when actually using it when stopped.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 07-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #11

While visiting the Dynamax factory to learn about the ISATA 3, I was told that, unlike the Ford E series, Mercedes does not permit modification of the Sprinter chassis to extend it’s wheelbase. Therefore any extension of the chassis comes from tacking on framing to the rear. That would make it impractical to build a 28+ foot coach, besides the fact that, as already mentioned, Mercedes also limits manufacturers to a maximum coach size anyway. Lastly, with the gross vehicle weight rating of the Sprinter chassis, putting a bigger house on it to make it larger than 25 feet would result in a uselessly small cargo carrying capacity.

Put more simply, the Sprinter chassis has reached its practical wheelbase usage, overall length limit, and weight capacity at about 25 feet.

To answer the other question about why the Ford E350/450 carries larger motorhomes, the reason is that chassis upfitters are allowed to extend the wheelbase, and the gross vehicle weight rating is higher. The E450 GVWR is 3,470 pounds higher than the MBS.

It’s not about brand or coach manufacturer. The chassis limitations apply across the board.
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c