Old 06-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #1

Any recommendations on a 12v --> 120v Power Inverter ?

I'd like to power up one 120v plug while on the road for a Keurig. Does anyone have a recommendation ? The inverter will need to provide a minimum of 1500 watts. I know I could start the generator, but I'll be driving, and it would be easier/simpler to just have a plug powered up.

Thanks !

Old 06-16-2016, 10:47 PM   #2

To drive an inverter that large you will need about 180 AMPS of 12 volt power. How many and what size batteries do you have?

Old 06-17-2016, 06:33 AM   #3

I have (2) AGM Size 34M batteries. I will only be applying the 1500 watt load while driving. I think the Sprinter has a 220amp alternator.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
GM

Are those aftermarket added batteries?

I was going to go to an 1800 watt inverter for this reason, by we use a Magnum 1000 watt pure sine wave. My electrical engineer asked to test it before we changed, because he didn't think the 1800 we were looking at had the same surge protection as the 1000w.

On our 1000W we tested a Keurig (not sure which model however), a regular coffee maker with heated plate and the a residential style hair dryer. It worked fine on low...when he went to high, it lasted for a few seconds and cut out. Put it back on low and it fired right back up.

Magnum CSW1012. I think they make an 1800 watt as well. We run (2) Group 31 AGM's and never had an issue.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #5

Just put your generator on to make coffee , at lot less complicated than wiring an inverter and carrying the extra weight. Get a coffee joe for dry camp when craving Keurig before generator hours.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #6

I have a Xantrex ProWatt 2000 and a 1000 as well. Both seem to work well. Used their remote switches as well as their automatic transfer switches.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #7

We use a 1500w modified sine wave inverter for our Keurig. Run it off of 2 - 6v batteries. No issues, makes many cups of coffee.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #8

If your not going to run the genny down the road, you need to buy an inverter that has enough wattage output. Then you need to determine how your duplex outlets are broken up in your MB unit, by flipping breakers to determine what is what. Then follow the wiring diagram and energize that circuit. It is important to determine what draws are on what circuits. You can't assume, so map out the RV's electrical layout. FR might shoot you a wiring diagram if yiu ask politely.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #9

I don't think this is going to work out for you. You have 2... 50 amp hour batts. for 100 amp hours total. Maximum outflow current is about 25% for a wet cell battery or in your case 25 amps..and AGM's can deliver about twice that or 50 DC amps of current without overheating...even with NO losses in wiring & conversion...that is about 600 watts. Way less than you need to brew. Run the genny!
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I don't think this is going to work out for you. You have 2... 50 amp hour batts. for 100 amp hours total. Maximum outflow current is about 25% for a wet cell battery or in your case 25 amps..and AGM's can deliver about twice that or 50 DC amps of current without overheating...even with NO losses in wiring & conversion...that is about 600 watts. Way less than you need to brew. Run the genny!
I won't go so far as to say that it's not going to work out but it does put a very high amperage load up on your batteries whenever you activate something with a heating element in it. In the old tt we had 3 group24 batteries. In perfect conditions that man 210 amps and since we never want to draw the batteries down more than 50% I had 105 amps available. We ran a Samlex brand light-duty 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter. It was used for five or six minutes of running the hair dryer(maybe 20) and occasionally cooked a TV dinner in the 1100 watt microwave. Mostly we ran everything in the coach except the converter charger so that we could use all of the outlets in the house to plug in cell phones laptops cameras Etc. We had 200 watts of solar on the roof keeping those batteries charged and sometimes that inverter pull the batteries down so much that I was afraid to turn on my Direct TV late at night for fear of pulling the batteries down too far comma after my wife get one of those 20 minute hair drying things

I don't know what those little instant coffee makers use but I'm assuming it's 12 or 1500 watts and for how many minutes I don't know. I would say if it's going to put a thousand or more watts load on the system for more than 10 minutes to brew a quick cup of coffee you're better off getting a percolator

That's just my opinion and that's the opinion of a fairly conservative guy who takes good care of his mechanical things I know that others draw other batteries down until the inverter shuts off and they do infinite damage to their batteries. Your battery is your choice.

I'm not familiar with the Mercedes Benz charging system but I know with a towed vehicle, the towing vehicle does not put very much charge into the RV batteries and and would never replace the charge that a high amperage inverter takes out in 10 or 20 minutes.

I think you are smart to wire just one outlet and that makes your inverter usage much easier to control. Just try to remember that 1200 watts 120 volts is 10 amps amp 120 volt current usage. That will be more like 110 220 amp draw on your batteries. That means heavy cables to the inverter. Short run from the batteries to the inverter. So try it and in the worst-case scenario plan on destroying your batteries before you learn the limits. Good luck and remember you can get a nice stainless steel percolator online for about $45

Tags
inverter, power