Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #1

Anyone own a Forester MB 2401 RV?

We have been all over the board with looking at RV's, and now we are back to where we started, for the present anyway. There is a 2018 MB 2401 Sprinter 24 foot RV that has very low mileage that we are looking at now. The former owner says the only problem they ever had with it was the superslide once, but that was because he did not park it level. Otherwise in it's short time of ownership, nothing to report.

Anyone out there have one of these? We would love to know what you think of it, and if there are chronic problems with them? I think my biggest concern would be the superslide. I love the room it creates in such a small space though, but it would be nice to go in with eyes wide open if there are problems that we might find out later on. Hopefully not, but I don't want to be naive either.

If you're out there, thank you for your help!

Drummergirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #2

We have a 2019 Forest River Forester MBS 2401W (Note the "W" meaning "wide" - the whole wall slides out and the bed folds in when the slide out slides in). It was actually built in 2018 so it's probably similar to yours. We have had only minor issues and are quite pleased with the unit. After purchase we went camping a few times to put it through some paces then brought it back to the dealer for repairs/updates that were all under warranty. We've just returned (to MA) from a a 6 week jaunt down south and have had an excellent experience. This was an upgrade for us. Previously we had a 2011 Coachmen Prism which we liked a lot. This one is built on the same MB Sprinter chassis as the Prism but it has a number of nice features (more space, safety mirrors, better sound system, etc.). So, no major issues.
We also got some extended warranty which has a longer umbrella coverage on most of the camper parts including the slide out.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #3

MBS Forum?

I'm sure you know this, but the FR coach warranty does not transfer to a second owner. The MB chassis warranty will.

Another big item is to check the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) on the yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb. The MBS chassis does not have a lot of payload, especially with heavy slides and if the MH is optioned up.

I have a 2015 Forester MBS 2401R and although it has taken several years to fix most of the issues, lately it has been mostly reliable. Overall, I'm very disappointed in the quality and really poor dealer service network. It's nothing like automotive reliability or service and I wish I had known that going in.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
You might want to post on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter specific forum. Probably more useful information available there.

I'm sure you know this, but the FR coach warranty does not transfer to a second owner. The MB chassis warranty will.

Another big item is to check the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) on the yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb. The MBS chassis does not have a lot of payload, especially with heavy slides and if the MH is optioned up.

I have a 2015 Forester MBS 2401R and although it has taken several years to fix most of the issues, lately it has been mostly reliable. Overall, I'm very disappointed in the quality and really poor dealer service network. It's nothing like automotive reliability or service and I wish I had known that going in.
I think that is what I gather from most forums, that the RV industry as a whole, has disappointed its customers, especially with the warranty work and the quality control or lack thereof, coming from the manufacturer, and then the dealership.
: (

It's a daunting task on trying to decide whether to buy and buy used, and find out what it will be like for ourselves. I found a good RV tech in the neighborhood, so what we couldn't fix ourselves, he could. I appreciate confirmation on the chassis warranty. I thought that was the case, but it's always good to hear it again, and not just from the seller. We have to travel an hour to have any Mercedes work, and maybe even for oil changes too, so that's not really appealing, but necessary if we are going to go Mercedes.

My husband is still undecided on buying the RV, but according to its owner, it has been good for them in the short time they have had it, with little problems. I thought I would have an RV tech do a thorough inspection, if we decide we are interested enough to buy.

I will check out the Mercedes Sprinter forum...thank you for the tip! And thanks for letting me know about the payload sticker. Don't you usually plan on 1000 lbs cargo including the passengers? I may be wrong on that. That may be just for trailers.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #5

wide slide

We have a 2017 2400WS, 2 full seasons and 16k miles later, we wouldn't have anything else. A lot of room on a smaller chassis. We have all the room we need for us, the Rottie, and grandson in Canada for a month at a time. Most heavy totes go in the 17ft Lund we trailer 1300 miles one way. The DW is even satisfied with it now, as she wanted BIGGER. The MBS gets me 12-13 pulling the boat about +5 down the highway with a great ride. Sumos added as soon as we got'r home.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
Shelley

We absolutely love our Forester 2401W MBS motorhome (2017). This is our very first RV. We absolutely love it! We have not had any major issues, only minor ones that were an easy fix under warranty.

We park ours in the driveway and use it as an extra "bedroom" when company come to visit.

We absolutely LOVE IT!
Old 02-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #7

I have a 2016 2401W with the big slide out. After a few months of use I had to have one of the rollers supporting the slide out replaced because it had collapsed. Campers World did the repair with a modified bracket/roller. They didn't seem surprised at the situation and the repair seems to be holding up well. I find that the entire coach leans to the slide side though when it is extended so I block the slide side 1/2 bubble high before putting it out.

Geoff
Geoff Ralling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:20 PM   #8

We have a MBS 2400W 2016/ In short we love it
There was a recall on the slide out in 2017 / we had the item fixed although we never had an issue.
Just make sure stabilizers are down before you slide out
After 3 years we have 1 word for our unit SWEET
Good luck and let us know
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stervin View Post
We have a MBS 2400W 2016/ In short we love it
There was a recall on the slide out in 2017 / we had the item fixed although we never had an issue.
Just make sure stabilizers are down before you slide out
After 3 years we have 1 word for our unit SWEET
Good luck and let us know
I really want to get one of these RV's. I think Sweet is a great description. My husband just needs to decide if he wants to invest right now in one. Thanks for your thumbs up!
Old 02-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Ralling View Post
I have a 2016 2401W with the big slide out. After a few months of use I had to have one of the rollers supporting the slide out replaced because it had collapsed. Campers World did the repair with a modified bracket/roller. They didn't seem surprised at the situation and the repair seems to be holding up well. I find that the entire coach leans to the slide side though when it is extended so I block the slide side 1/2 bubble high before putting it out.

Geoff
I'm not sure what that means. I've seen people put those yellow blocks underneath the wheels though. If we purchase it will be our first RV, so I'm still a bit ignorant on many of the terminology and processes. But I wondered if they would lean since that whole side pops out. Does what you said handle that problem well?
Old 02-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #11

We Like our 2017 2401W...

We purchased ours at the end of the 2017 season and put about12,000 miles on it in 2018. That full wall slide gives you a pretty compact over the road vehicle combined with decent inside space once it's popped out. We've had several small issues with it that would seem to indicate lax quality control in construction and a philosophy of FR and dealer to "Let the Customer Find the Problem, THEN we'll fix it).
The most serious problem we've had was one morning (in the midst of our cross country trip) the slide decided it would only extend or retract a few inches at a time (then button would have to be released and pressed again to get another couple of inches). The FR dealer in Tulsa OK was booked 4 weeks out and would not help us out unless we were willing to wait the 4 weeks. Desperate, we tried another Tulsa (non FR) dealer, Bob Hurley RV, and they took us in right away. They worked with Schwintek to troubleshoot the problem and Schwintek promptly sent out a replacement slide motor. All very good except the motor didn't solve the problem; it turned out to be the controller unit, which they shipped next. That did solve the problem. Overall, it cost us 8 days and the $50 co-pay on our extended warranty. Again, Thank You Bob Hurley RV of Tulsa, or we could have been there way longer...

Three other random thoughts:[LIST][*]Sprinter based RV's dry weights are super close to their max weight. You won't want to take your rock collection with you when you travel.[*]The MBS2401 does not have storage space for larger objects. I wish they had utilized the space over the cab so it would hold light but bulky things like lawn chairs.[*]On the 2nd day of rain or bad bugs, I find myself wishing for more comfortable seating. I personally don't like spinning the cab seats around and using them after sitting in them for all our driving. And if you want to watch TV, the cab seats face the wrong direction. The dinette is OK for a brief sit, but isn't my idea of a good place to do a couple hours of reading.

As a newbie, I can't compare the 2401 ownership to others, but I can tell you that we've been very happy with the overall ownership and use experience.

Good Luck with your purchase!
ChrisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #12

Aways remember it can be written off as a second home !!!!!
I retired 6 years ago and have never never doubted we made the right decision
Best of luck
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:13 PM   #13

We have a 2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W, which is pretty much the same unit as the 2401 Forester you are considering... we spend 6 months a year in it, and are approaching 44000 miles. Overall, we are very happy... yes, there were a few teething problems, but nothing that was not easily fixed. Spend some time getting to know how it all works, and don’t be afraid to fix the simple stuff. We cruise at 55-62 mph, pull a Chevy Spark toad, follow all the MB maintenance specs, and all is really pretty great. Get Out There and enjoy!
Rkloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:22 PM   #14

If you level the 2401W before putting the slide out, you will find the RV leans once you extend the slide (yes, you put the stabilizers down before putting the slide out). To counteract the lean, I make sure I block the RV with the slide side higher by about 1/2 a bubble on a level. Once the slide is out, I recheck the level and it is then Ok. Not a big deal at all.
Geoff Ralling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #15

We like our 2401R MBS

We have the 2017 2014R MBS and love it. We did have a minor problem with facia attached to the bed slideout, but the dealer (RV Wholesalers in Ohio) immediately diagnosed the problem from pictures I sent and had a local repair shop here in Austin TX come over and fix the problem. Excellent service from RV Wholesalers, and next time I buy an RV they will be at the top of my list. Haven't had any other problems with the RV itself, it is perfect for what we use it for.
Anhkhong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
We have a 2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W, which is pretty much the same unit as the 2401 Forester you are considering... we spend 6 months a year in it, and are approaching 44000 miles. Overall, we are very happy... yes, there were a few teething problems, but nothing that was not easily fixed. Spend some time getting to know how it all works, and don’t be afraid to fix the simple stuff. We cruise at 55-62 mph, pull a Chevy Spark toad, follow all the MB maintenance specs, and all is really pretty great. Get Out There and enjoy!
I think the Forester we want is a 2400W too. Anyway, it's a 2018 so I am sure you are right they must be pretty close to the same. We really want one....just got to decide if we are ready to spend the money.... Glad to hear it's been good to you!
Old 02-26-2019, 09:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stervin View Post
Aways remember it can be written off as a second home !!!!!
I retired 6 years ago and have never never doubted we made the right decision
Best of luck
Are there any requirements for an RV to be written off as a second home? Do you have to finance it, or can you buy it straight out and still count it? There is so much I have to learn! Thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhkhong1 View Post
We have the 2017 2014R MBS and love it. We did have a minor problem with facia attached to the bed slideout, but the dealer (RV Wholesalers in Ohio) immediately diagnosed the problem from pictures I sent and had a local repair shop here in Austin TX come over and fix the problem. Excellent service from RV Wholesalers, and next time I buy an RV they will be at the top of my list. Haven't had any other problems with the RV itself, it is perfect for what we use it for.
I've never heard of RV Wholesalers. I'll give them a look! thanks!
Old 02-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisT View Post
We purchased ours at the end of the 2017 season and put about12,000 miles on it in 2018. That full wall slide gives you a pretty compact over the road vehicle combined with decent inside space once it's popped out. We've had several small issues with it that would seem to indicate lax quality control in construction and a philosophy of FR and dealer to "Let the Customer Find the Problem, THEN we'll fix it).
The most serious problem we've had was one morning (in the midst of our cross country trip) the slide decided it would only extend or retract a few inches at a time (then button would have to be released and pressed again to get another couple of inches). The FR dealer in Tulsa OK was booked 4 weeks out and would not help us out unless we were willing to wait the 4 weeks. Desperate, we tried another Tulsa (non FR) dealer, Bob Hurley RV, and they took us in right away. They worked with Schwintek to troubleshoot the problem and Schwintek promptly sent out a replacement slide motor. All very good except the motor didn't solve the problem; it turned out to be the controller unit, which they shipped next. That did solve the problem. Overall, it cost us 8 days and the $50 co-pay on our extended warranty. Again, Thank You Bob Hurley RV of Tulsa, or we could have been there way longer...

Three other random thoughts:[LIST][*]Sprinter based RV's dry weights are super close to their max weight. You won't want to take your rock collection with you when you travel.[*]The MBS2401 does not have storage space for larger objects. I wish they had utilized the space over the cab so it would hold light but bulky things like lawn chairs.[*]On the 2nd day of rain or bad bugs, I find myself wishing for more comfortable seating. I personally don't like spinning the cab seats around and using them after sitting in them for all our driving. And if you want to watch TV, the cab seats face the wrong direction. The dinette is OK for a brief sit, but isn't my idea of a good place to do a couple hours of reading.

As a newbie, I can't compare the 2401 ownership to others, but I can tell you that we've been very happy with the overall ownership and use experience.

Good Luck with your purchase!
thank you for your honesty Chris! It's good to hear these things before we take the big plunge...that is, if we end up doing it.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:06 PM   #20

Watching TV in the MBS 2401R

Per the post by ChrisT, we opted for the recliners instead of the diner bench seats with a table between. We also had the swing out TV mount installed at the dealer. So watching TV is comfortable, sitting on the two recliners with the TV at a decent angle in front of us.
Anhkhong1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester