Old 02-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #1

Anyone use chains on their sprinter motorhome?

I'll be headed up into snow country (Lake Tahoe) this weekend. I bought a set of chains from etrailer (great service!). And installing them is a challenge. There isn't a whole lot of room between the dualies to slide the Konig (Thule) assembly.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience with operating a sprinter with chains. And difficulty on the roadside in snow and dark...

backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:50 PM   #2

Chains

I put my chains on last weekend. I don't have anything special, just the ones they sell at Napa. I find they are pretty easy to install if you roll the inner tire on to some leveling blocks to get the outer tire suspended in the air. Then you can position the links where they are easy to reach and get the chains nice and tight. A couple zipties can be useful to tie off the loose ends of the chain and keep them from slapping your wheel well.

Another tip is to have some spare carpet to roll the tire onto to get enough traction on snow/ice to actually climb up on the leveling blocks.

A headlamp and carthart overalls are also useful for maneuvering in the snow and dark.

Good luck!
Kevinkoller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome