Old 03-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Atwood Air Conditioner/Heat Pump

I just completed the installation of a 15K BTU Atwood Air Command Heat Pump on my 2015 Forester MBS with a QD3200 Diesel generator.

I removed the old Dometic 13.5K Brisk Air II A/C only unit - it was very noisy, there was little difference between high and low fan speeds and the diesel generator did not like the 13 or so amps that this unit draws.

The Atwood is wonderfully quiet - we can sit at the dinette right under the diffuser, wide open and on high - and still have a non-shouting conversation. (We would frequently turn off the Dometic during meal time because it was so loud). Additionally, I ran the A/C on high, the battery charger/converter was on high and then I ran the microwave. Could not do that before with the Dometic. The Atwood pulls about 10 amps for cooling, I think about 12 for heating.

The mechanical part of the installation is easy. For me the most difficult part was figuring out the different wiring configuration. The Atwood has a proprietary communicating thermostat, but once I understood which wires went where, that was easy too. The Dometic tsat only uses three wires, but there is a 6 conductor wire run from the roof unit to the tsat in the back.

I am thrilled with this modification and highly recommend it to anyone especially if their Dometic unit fails. The Atwood is only a little more expensive and now I have a heat pump unit where before it was A/C only.

If anyone wants a one year new Dometic unit complete for about half the cost of new, PM me. I am in the Atlanta area but will drive a little way to meet you.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #2

KatanaPilot - were you able to use the existing FR wiring from the Dometic that you removed ? If so, would you be able to post a pic of how it is wired ? Several of us may go the route you went, as that Dometic is loud enough to wake the dead, and you are right - the difference between high-fan and low-fan is negligible.

Also did you look at other Dometic models - like a Penguin gen 2 ? I wonder if they have a quieter/more energy efficient model that would fit the same ceiling shroud and wiring.

Thanks !

Old 03-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #3

Sent you a PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Look at ppl motorhomes, they have conversation kits

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 03-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I just completed the installation of a 15K BTU Atwood Air Command Heat Pump on my 2015 Forester MBS with a QD3200 Diesel generator.

I removed the old Dometic 13.5K Brisk Air II A/C only unit - it was very noisy, there was little difference between high and low fan speeds and the diesel generator did not like the 13 or so amps that this unit draws.

The Atwood is wonderfully quiet - we can sit at the dinette right under the diffuser, wide open and on high - and still have a non-shouting conversation. (We would frequently turn off the Dometic during meal time because it was so loud). Additionally, I ran the A/C on high, the battery charger/converter was on high and then I ran the microwave. Could not do that before with the Dometic. The Atwood pulls about 10 amps for cooling, I think about 12 for heating.

The mechanical part of the installation is easy. For me the most difficult part was figuring out the different wiring configuration. The Atwood has a proprietary communicating thermostat, but once I understood which wires went where, that was easy too. The Dometic tsat only uses three wires, but there is a 6 conductor wire run from the roof unit to the tsat in the back.

I am thrilled with this modification and highly recommend it to anyone especially if their Dometic unit fails. The Atwood is only a little more expensive and now I have a heat pump unit where before it was A/C only.

If anyone wants a one year new Dometic unit complete for about half the cost of new, PM me. I am in the Atlanta area but will drive a little way to meet you.

Wish you were closer!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 03-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Look at ppl motorhomes, they have conversation kits

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
That is where I bought the Atwood A/C. The first one shipped from their distributor via UPS - box was wet, and pretty much destroyed. A/C was upside down and cover was damaged. Called them, sent pictures and they immediately took care of it - sent UPS call tag, shipped another via motor freight and refunded some of my freight charge for the trouble.

Good folks, would buy components from them again.

Will ship the Dometic to you if you want to pay the freight - but then it probably won't be worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	101535  
Old 03-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
That is where I bought the Atwood A/C. The first one shipped from their distributor via UPS - box was wet, and pretty much destroyed. A/C was upside down and cover was damaged. Called them, sent pictures and they immediately took care of it - sent UPS call tag, shipped another via motor freight and refunded some of my freight charge for the trouble.

Good folks, would buy components from them again.

Will ship the Dometic to you if you want to pay the freight - but then it probably won't be worth it.

Pm sent.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 03-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

What model number Atwood did you use? Did the ducted ceiling kit fit without modifications?

Thanks,

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
What model number Atwood did you use? Did the ducting ceiling kit fit without modifications?

Thanks,

There is no "ducting"

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 03-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
There is no "ducting"

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
There are no "conversation kits" either... Darn auto correct strikes again...

I corrected it to a "ducted ceiling kit" in my post.... Thanks!

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, pump