Old 02-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #11

I just talked to RVS, and they claim all their cameras should have good night vision. The issue that occurs to me is this - the camera appears to have the cord hard-wired to it, and extends into the RV through maybe a grommet ? I have not crawled up there yet, but if this is the case, how the heck do you disconnect the coax in order to replace the camera ? ? ?

And here is a final question - it appears the camera has a microphone, but I have no idea how to get the audio ? Is it part of the inside display ? The manual says to press <MENU> 5 times to adjust volume ?

Old 02-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #12

The phone number is for RVS. Their main web site is now "rearviewsafety.com".

The rep I spoke with said that the cable plugs into the camera so that the camera can be replaced without changing the wiring. I looked at the cable entering the camera and I'm not sure that it's so simple. So I went back with a wrench and unscrewed the black plug around the wire. It seems as though the wire just passes through that plug and then connects to something inside the camera housing - it doesn't unplug easily, so I stopped pulling.

I note that, when they sell the camera alone, they offer a wide variety of cable lengths as part of the package. My current guess is that the cable is hardwired inside the housing and that replacing the camera requires, at the least, splicing a new cable between the camera and the spot where it enters the motorhome. I suppose it might even require rerunning the entire cable, though that seems a bit excessive!

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
Dave - is the 888-881-2601 number for RVS or Forest River? I'd like to call RVS also, and discuss my options. Any idea how difficult it is to unplug the camera ? I'm hoping there is a connector that I can get to from the outside.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #13

Can we get Forest River to comment on Camera Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
The phone number is for RVS. Their main web site is now "rearviewsafety.com".

The rep I spoke with said that the cable plugs into the camera so that the camera can be replaced without changing the wiring. I looked at the cable entering the camera and I'm not sure that it's so simple. So I went back with a wrench and unscrewed the black plug around the wire. It seems as though the wire just passes through that plug and then connects to something inside the camera housing - it doesn't unplug easily, so I stopped pulling.

I note that, when they sell the camera alone, they offer a wide variety of cable lengths as part of the package. My current guess is that the cable is hardwired inside the housing and that replacing the camera requires, at the least, splicing a new cable between the camera and the spot where it enters the motorhome. I suppose it might even require rerunning the entire cable, though that seems a bit excessive!

Dave
Dave - that is what I suspected. This weekend I will look closely at the outside and inside of my RV to see if it there is any obvious way to get at the cable. I wonder if we can get someone from Forest River to comment on how to replace a camera.

One other thought is to disassemble the camera - but that might not be possible, as it may be sealed in order to be weatherproof.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #14
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

I've only used backup camera while backing up my RV, in which case, the backup and brake lights are bright enough for camera to see the perimeter. I think even IR sensors need at least some dim light to function.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #15
GM

HomeOnWheels brings up a good point. I assumed you were using the unit when checking the backup camera. At night, your tail lights would be on which would provide a light source. In the garage with no lights on, I'm not sure is going to be the same effect.

Can you test with tail lights on? (not brake lights)
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Can you test with tail lights on? (not brake lights)
Yep, I'll give that a try. I did it without unit lights because the camera specs said the LEDs gave it a 50 foot range ... and because, in my experience, the tail / brake lights tend to wash the lower part of the image out and leave little or nothing visible on the top part.

But...anyway...I'll try various combos and post resulting pictures. Probably won't be able to do it until tomorrow...

Dave

PS... Here's a quote from the manual:

Quote:
Night Vision: 18 powerful LEDs allow seeing rearward in total pitch darkness, as if using a spotlight
Old 02-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #17

OK. Here are two images.

The first is taken with the tail lights on:

The second, taken with both tail lights and brakes lights on, shows something of the garage contents though the lighting makes it difficult to tell exactly what you're looking at:

Dave
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #18
Usually Confused Member

I use a Sharx hi-def camera and it sees quite a bit in total darkness. It changes to a b&w image when using the built in infrareds.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #19

I heard back from RVS and they're willing to sell the camera at a bit of a discount...but I'm still not sure how to hook it up.

I think there may be an inline connection point inside the rear cap, but I'm not sure...and I'm not sure I can get in there now that the coach is all closed up. Looking at image #3 on the rearviewsafety.com web site it looks like the camera has a short pigtail and they ship a second, longer, cable with it:
RVS-770 | 130 Backup Camera with 18 Infra-Red Illuminators | Rear View Safety
Does anyone know if that's the case...and if I could get at the connection inside the rear cap?

Thanks

Dave
Old 02-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
I heard back from RVS and they're willing to sell the camera at a bit of a discount...but I'm still not sure how to hook it up.

I think there may be an inline connection point inside the rear cap, but I'm not sure...and I'm not sure I can get in there now that the coach is all closed up. Looking at image #3 on the rearviewsafety.com web site it looks like the camera has a short pigtail and they ship a second, longer, cable with it:
RVS-770 | 130 Backup Camera with 18 Infra-Red Illuminators | Rear View Safety
Does anyone know if that's the case...and if I could get at the connection inside the rear cap?

Thanks

Dave
In a post some time ago someone mentioned they had to disassemble the camera to disconnect and reconnect the cable wires. Don't remember where I read that. Maybe BC could shed some light.