Old 02-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
boises?
Dave,

I work with security cameras at my job daily. After reviewing your pictures I believe that your camera is stuck in daytime mode. Daytime mode will be in color and night time mode with the IR lights will be in black and white. Your IR lights do appear to be working correctly but the camera won't recognize them while in day mode.

Another reason I think it's in day mode is that in your night time picture with the brake lights on, the reflection shows up red indicating it is still in day (color) mode. Cameras won't generally change from day to night that fast (every time you hit the brakes). There is a light sensor for this and it should be shielded from head lights and such so the camera won't be flipping back and forth every time a car goes by.

You can try to test it with a light on a dimmer switch and brighten it up then slowly back down to full dark and watch your monitor to see if it stays in color the whole time.

It just seems to me to be a faulty camera. Bummer.

Mike

mbheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbheinz View Post
Dave,

I work with security cameras at my job daily. After reviewing your pictures I believe that your camera is stuck in daytime mode. Daytime mode will be in color and night time mode with the IR lights will be in black and white. Your IR lights do appear to be working correctly but the camera won't recognize them while in day mode.

Another reason I think it's in day mode is that in your night time picture with the brake lights on, the reflection shows up red indicating it is still in day (color) mode. Cameras won't generally change from day to night that fast (every time you hit the brakes). There is a light sensor for this and it should be shielded from head lights and such so the camera won't be flipping back and forth every time a car goes by.

You can try to test it with a light on a dimmer switch and brighten it up then slowly back down to full dark and watch your monitor to see if it stays in color the whole time.

It just seems to me to be a faulty camera. Bummer.

Mike
Mike - what you say makes a lot of sense. If your suspicion is true, then the idea of lighting up the rear of the RV with more 'white' light at night may force the camera to stay in 'DAY' mode - which would be contrary to what we really want it to do. My camera is painted cream to match the paint scheme. I wonder if that is somehow affecting the light sensors ability to flip the camera to night mode. I may scrape the paint off around the sensor (or paint it black) - which I believe is in the lower center of the camera.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
boises?
I think that is French for 'reverses' - i.e., causes it to not switch day/night mode when it should ? (I could be completely wrong on this.)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 PM   #44

So sorry I meant voided the warranty, shouldn't type on cell phone. The lady I coordinated with said that is should be black.

So sorry for the misspelling misunderstanding.

dpgpa

2016 Solera 24R
Tow 6X12 Enclosed
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #45

New Camera

The new camera has arrived. I won't be able to install it immediately, but I thought folks might like to see a few pictures that may help explain how it's installed.

First, here's a picture of the camera which comes with about a 4-1/2 foot cable hardwired:

The cable has two pieces already attached. The first is a small bump, probably a ballast to improve the signal:

The second is a grommet:

Finally, here's a picture of the mounting bracket:

As far as I can see, the hole in the center of the mounting bracket is large enough for the cable and ballast to fit through, but not large enough for the grommet. So...I think the standard mounting for this is to drill a hole in the RV fiberglass large enough for the grommet to fit in. Then attach the camera's cable to a longer cable inside the back cap, push everything into the hole and seal it with the grommet. Then screw the mounting bracket to the fiberglass and mount the camera on the bracket.

I guess I'll find out if I'm right when I get the chance to take things apart and try the installation. I've got a couple of worries - maybe FR gets their cameras with a single long cable, so there's no connection in the back cap or maybe there is a connection, but there isn't enough slack in the cable to pull it out of the hole to remove the old camera and attach the new one. Time will tell (unless someone else already knows...)

Dave
Old 02-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #46
Usually Confused Member

If it's the same as most FR units there will be a pre-installed wire with sufficient slack.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
If it's the same as most FR units there will be a pre-installed wire with sufficient slack.
So in other words, you may be able to pull the existing cable out through the existing hole out to the connector, and then when the camera has been reconnected you can push it back in ?
Old 02-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #48

Based on what mbheinz said, and another person I know that confirmed, it appears that our cameras are not detecting NIGHT TIME, and so are not going to B/W and using the infrared lights effectively. What you showed in an earlier post was the IR lights were working, but still had a crappy image. We are anxious for you to tell us how the replacement went, and what difference it made at night ! Also, what was the RVS camera 'model' you ordered ? Thanks !
Old 02-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #49
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
So in other words, you may be able to pull the existing cable out through the existing hole out to the connector, and then when the camera has been reconnected you can push it back in ?
Yes.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #50

If that is the issue, painted surface causes camera malfunction, not switching to night mode, which one of you guys will give FR the heads up, so they can correct this at the paint shop.