Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #21
Commercial Member

BC's not at that division anymore, but I do recall that there was a connection in the rear wall somewhere. Maybe behind the tail light as that is a major junction point for pulling wires.

JC might be able to confirm that with the line (Josh Cavitt).

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
BC's not at that division anymore, but I do recall that there was a connection in the rear wall somewhere. Maybe behind the tail light as that is a major junction point for pulling wires.

I new you were at Dyna, but thought you might know something about this. See you here every once in a while. Thanks Brian.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #23

How to remove/replace camera

Quote:

I suspect one could disassemble the existing and new cameras and swap them - that actually might not be the worst solution depending on how hard it might be to pull the existing pigtail from wherever it connects to a longer line going to the front.

If we found that pigtail connector, I suppose we would have to pull a string one way, then the other in order to get a new camera pigtail reconnected ? Wish I had a drawing or "X-Ray" of how it was assembled

Occasionally I have been able to reach FR Support - perhaps I'll try that route.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #24

I ordered a new camera yesterday. I'll probably open the new camera up to see how it's wired...unless I find out more about the way the coach is wired.

Dave
Old 02-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #25

Which model did you order ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
I ordered a new camera yesterday. I'll probably open the new camera up to see how it's wired...unless I find out more about the way the coach is wired.

Dave
Dave - did you order exactly the same RVS camera, or go for a newer model ? I see there are a few with 150 degree viewing instead of the 120 degree that FR uses, and another has a heater and 28 IR LED's.

If FR support calls me back I'll post what they have to say about replacing the camera.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #26

Cameras amaze me. I don't get it.

I have about 8 "Game Cameras" that I put out in the woods. I get very clear pictures, up to 8 Mpxl's or higher, of game........and anything else that walks through at up to 70 feet away. Every one of them costs about $100 max.

Yet, in the backup camera of my truck, I have to squint to make anything out.

On bank robberies, the TV says "Can you identify this man?" and show some blob with his hoodie up. No, I can't identify that alien blob!! Get a GOOD CAMERA for gosh sakes, you're guarding MY MONEY!

Just not sure why bad cameras exist.........
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #27

Camera

Ditto on the bad night vision on the rear camera. Have been using my 24R as a daily driver here in Henderson and man the camera s--cks. The left and right turn cameras are quite good at night. I thought i read where no returns after 90 days??
Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
Dave - did you order exactly the same RVS camera, or go for a newer model ? I see there are a few with 150 degree viewing instead of the 120 degree that FR uses, and another has a heater and 28 IR LED's.
Yeah, I ordered the original camera. I didn't think that the 150 degree version would make much difference for me ... I dunno about heaters and more LEDs. I did think about the camera with a tilt capability, but it was much more money and I wasn't at all sure how it would get hooked up to work properly. All in all, I'd be happy with the camera I have...if it worked at night!

Dave
Old 02-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpa View Post
I thought i read where no returns after 90 days??
The RVS web site indicates no-questions-asked returns for 30 days. They also have a 1 year warranty:

Quote:
Warranty Terms and Conditions

Rear View Safety Inc. warrants this product against material defects for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase. We reserve the right to repair or replace any such defective unit at our sole discretion. Rear View Safety Inc. is not responsible for a defect in this system as a result of misuse, improper installation, damage or mis-handling of the electronic components. We are not responsible for consequential damages of any kind.
Dave
Old 02-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #30

I talked to Brian at FR this morning about the camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Yeah, I ordered the original camera. I didn't think that the 150 degree version would make much difference for me ... I dunno about heaters and more LEDs. I did think about the camera with a tilt capability, but it was much more money and I wasn't at all sure how it would get hooked up to work properly. All in all, I'd be happy with the camera I have...if it worked at night!

Dave
Brian at FR said the camera pigtail typically connects to another cable going forward, behind the Driver Side tail light. The Multiplexer is under the dash on the driver side.

He was not aware of how the camera pigtail is routed down from the camera - whether it is in conduit or not. Conventional wisdom says to tie a string or wire to the pigtail before you try to pull it through. If it doesn't pull at all, then you will have to attempt to rewire the new camera.

I'll be very anxious how it works out for you, as you are in some uncharted territory.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #31
Commercial Member

A live video stream would be our preferred method of following along. Just give us a heads up so I can make popcorn.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #32

Quote:
A live video stream would be our preferred method of following along. Just give us a heads up so I can make popcorn.
Well...OK. But I'm gonna have to stick in ads every 5 minutes. That's gonna be a LOT of ads!
Old 02-09-2016, 01:33 PM   #33
2012 Solera

On our 2012 Solera I have the camera adjusted to look as far back as the mount allows (without modifying the mount) so I can use it as a "pseudo rear view mirror". I find it totally washes out with headlights from following vehicles at night. Works for backing into sites if I slightly press the brake pedal to illuminate the brake lights. Seems like the ir LEDs on the camera are too weak. Anyone considered just adding a supplemental 12volt ir illuminator? E.g. something like this: Robot Check
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #34

I have installed three and will a forth on my Wildcat a Peak backup camera system on 5ers.( we all pull boats behind our units). I run hot n ground wires to the rear tail lights running lights(run with lights on) and run the transmitter cable to the front storage area as far forward on the drivers side. This lets the receiver work when turning to the right.They all work great at night and for less the $150 it's well worth it.Have new unit ready to install now come on spring !!!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
On our 2012 Solera I have the camera adjusted to look as far back as the mount allows (without modifying the mount) so I can use it as a "pseudo rear view mirror". I find it totally washes out with headlights from following vehicles at night. Works for backing into sites if I slightly press the brake pedal to illuminate the brake lights. Seems like the ir LEDs on the camera are too weak. Anyone considered just adding a supplemental 12volt ir illuminator? E.g. something like this: Robot Check
You know that is not a bad idea, and likely much less expensive than purchasing a new camera - just light the area up so the camera can see. There are a few threads about very small, very bright round LED 'button lights' you could drill into the bumper on the lower slant that would light things up nicely.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #36

If you want to address camera issues with RVS you can call them at 800-764-1028 and talk to Dylan Lew. I did and he sent me a return authorization to send camera in for a replacement or repair.

Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
Old 02-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
You know that is not a bad idea, and likely much less expensive than purchasing a new camera - just light the area up so the camera can see. There are a few threads about very small, very bright round LED 'button lights' you could drill into the bumper on the lower slant that would light things up nicely.
http://www.ipolyi.com/RR/RR/i/backuplights.jpg

!!! be sure to look up under bumper, some locations not good for drilling !!!

I connected to the backup light on the driver's side, a bit of soldering

Robot Check
these would also work: ( smaller holes for wires only )

Robot Check

I used them here:
http://www.ipolyi.com/RR/RR/i/lights.jpg
and here:
http://www.ipolyi.com/RR/RR/i/rhlight.jpg
http://www.ipolyi.com/RR/RR/i/rhlightp.jpg
Old 02-09-2016, 05:58 PM   #38

BCLEMENS, I was just told by RVS that by painting the back up camera white it boises the camera????

Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
Old 02-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpa View Post
BCLEMENS, I was just told by RVS that by painting the back up camera white it boises the camera????
boises?
Old 02-09-2016, 06:52 PM   #40
Commercial Member

^^beat me to it^^