Old 02-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #1

Backup Camera.

I searched this forum and did not find what I was looking for, so excuse me if I'm asking for something that has already been answered.

The factory rear-view camera on my 2014R is pretty good during the day, and pretty useless at night. Cleaning it made no difference.

My question is if anyone has found a direct-fit replacement that has significantly better night vision. I know the camera is mounted way-up-there, so lighting the area is an issue, but have to believe there are better cameras available.

Thanks !

Old 02-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
GM

It shouldn't be though. Those cameras should have IR LED's in there. The tail lights alone should be enough light.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Those cameras should have IR LED's in there.
Well... I dunno. My camera / display doesn't work well at night. The manual says there are 18 IR LEDs which should provide a usable range of 50 feet...if the LEDs are on.

Anyone know an easy way to determine if the IR LEDs are actually operating?

Dave
Old 02-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Anyone know an easy way to determine if the IR LEDs are actually operating?
Hah! I've answered my own question. Turns out my little point and shoot camera is sensitive to IR. I'll go out in a bit and check my backup camera.

Dave
Old 02-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #5

OK. I took my camera out to the garage and took four pictures. The LEDs work, I guess, but don't help the image at all.

The first is of the backup camera, with the camera inactive and the LEDs off. You can see the array of 18 LEDs to the left and right of the camera lens.

The I turned the monitor system on and took another picture. This time the LEDs show up as purple dots which, I guess, means that they're on. The dots aren't very bright, but I'm not sure if that means anything.

Next, I took a pictures of the image on the backup monitor, first with the overhead garage lights on. Pardon the mess!

Finally, I took a picture of the monitor, with the overhead lights off...relying on the LEDs alone. (Well, you can see a little light in the upper left hand corner, the result, I think, of a little light leakage into the garage.) Anyway, as near as I can tell, the LEDs have no positive impact on the image.

All in all, it's a bit disappointing given that the system manual indicates the LEDs should be effective for a distance of 50 feet. (Note that I did play around a bit with brightness and contrast and the like, but that didn't seem to make any difference.)

Dave
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
GM

RVS Systems is the supplier of that camera. They might be able to diagnose the image faster than anyone else.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 02-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #7

Does anyone else have a problem with the camera's night vision ?

Quote:
OK. I took my camera out to the garage and took four pictures. The LEDs work, I guess, but don't help the image at all.

All in all, it's a bit disappointing given that the system manual indicates the LEDs should be effective for a distance of 50 feet. (Note that I did play around a bit with brightness and contrast and the like, but that didn't seem to make any difference.)
Dave
Your images are exactly like mine - pretty useless at night. I wonder if others can share their impressions of the cameras night vision.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #8

As Brian suggested, I contacted RVS. They seem to think that their system should work at night. I sent them an email with the same four pictures that I posted here.

Anyway, here's the thing. The rep I spoke with said that they'd replace the camera under warranty, but only if it was within one year of purchase. Since my camera never worked at night I just assumed that it wasn't supposed to work...and now it's well past a year since I bought the motorhome. She suggested that I contact Forest River to see if they could do anything, though I suspect that doing so would lead to a long process which wouldn't likely provide much help. So...I'm not sure what I will do - maybe I'll just buy a camera from them and ship it back until they send one that works.

One suggestion I would make - if you have this system, and you've had it less than a year, and it doesn't work at night...call them right now - 888-881-2601.

Dave
Old 02-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #9
GM

I'm not with that division anymore, nor do we use the RVS system....but we were looking at it. I'd like to know if a replacement makes a difference and now I am anxious to test our rear camera at night and see what kind of image we get. That would certainly help me make a decision regarding their camera. Pretty sure we run a Convoy Camera, with a Sony CMOS sensor. I'll let you know the results.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #10

Quote:
As Brian suggested, I contacted RVS. They seem to think that their system should work at night. I sent them an email with the same four pictures that I posted here.

Anyway, here's the thing. The rep I spoke with said that they'd replace the camera under warranty, but only if it was within one year of purchase. Since my camera never worked at night I just assumed that it wasn't supposed to work...and now it's well past a year since I bought the motorhome. She suggested that I contact Forest River to see if they could do anything, though I suspect that doing so would lead to a long process which wouldn't likely provide much help. So...I'm not sure what I will do - maybe I'll just buy a camera from them and ship it back until they send one that works.

One suggestion I would make - if you have this system, and you've had it less than a year, and it doesn't work at night...call them right now - 888-881-2601.

Dave
Dave - is the 888-881-2601 number for RVS or Forest River? I'd like to call RVS also, and discuss my options. Any idea how difficult it is to unplug the camera ? I'm hoping there is a connector that I can get to from the outside.