Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

Backup camera failure.

Worked fine yesterday. Nothing at power up today. 2016 Forester 2401W. Does anyone know where the fuse is located? Also location of multiplexer. Because we all know how well these things are documented in the user manual.
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachsailor View Post
Worked fine yesterday. Nothing at power up today. 2016 Forester 2401W. Does anyone know where the fuse is located? Also location of multiplexer. Because we all know how well these things are documented in the user manual.
User manual. These things come with a user manual? Wish I could help out but like most of us I figure it out as things stop working. Best of luck, let us know what you find out.
gmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #3

Quote:
There have been several threads on the backup camera. Not sure which system you have, but here's a lengthy thread from when I swapped out the camera on a 2015 Solera:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ra-100428.html
Somewhere in the middle of the thread it mentions that the multiplexer is located in/under the dash...as I recall, it was up under the left side of the dash. Not sure where the fuse is, though it might be inline in that same area.

There are other threads on the topic...try searching for
Solera backup camera
Dave
Old 05-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #4

Found it. Left side of drivers side dash. All the way to the door there is a small panels that has one screw on the bottom. Remove the screw, pop off the panel and there it is. Small inline fuse to the power supply was blown. New fuse tomorrow and I hope all will be well.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Found it. Left side of drivers side dash. All the way to the door there is a small panels that has one screw on the bottom. Remove the screw, pop off the panel and there it is. Small inline fuse to the power supply was blown. New fuse tomorrow and I hope all will be well.
I finally found a replacement fuse. Not easy. Small 3 amp. Not found in automotive stores. Replaced the fuse and checked power to multiplexer. Have 12 volt to the multiplexer but no power to the monitor. Anyone know a way to test the multiplexer or do I just order a new one and hope that is the problem.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Anyone know a way to test the multiplexer or do I just order a new one and hope that is the problem.
Well...it probably depends on what system you have. If you've got the Rear View Safety system (that FR was using a few years ago) you probably have a multiplexer like this:
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...-rvs-501n.html
If so, it appears that video out is just a (fairly standard?) RCA cable connection. Perhaps you could try plugging a TV into it to see if you get a signal? Not sure of the resolution. The monitors on the RVS web site appear to be 800x480...

Alternatively, you might be able to plug the monitor into another video source with an RCA output...

Good luck!
Dave
Old 06-04-2018, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:
I finally found a replacement fuse. Not easy. Small 3 amp. Not found in automotive stores. Replaced the fuse and checked power to multiplexer. Have 12 volt to the multiplexer but no power to the monitor. Anyone know a way to test the multiplexer or do I just order a new one and hope that is the problem.
You might try calling the manufacture of the camera. I found them to be very help. You did not mention if your monitor is working.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
You might try calling the manufacture of the camera. I found them to be very help. You did not mention if your monitor is working.
Did talk to RVS and the had me check the backup camera to see if it was getting power. Answer was no so the power system on the multiplexer is probably bad. Ordered a new multiplexer (reasonable price of 40 bucks) we shall see if this solves the problem. Although after 3 weeks on the road I am getting pretty good at maneuvers without the camera so not sure how critical the need is to get it fixed.